Race 69

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race 69

Jeannie at full song on the Eastern side of the course .

ill never forget the cartwheel...

It was almost directly in front of me...for a second I thought I had imagined it, it was so fast...

Comment

Re: Race 69

The photo is of the Merlin powered Precious Metal not Jeannie

Comment

Accualy, it looks like Georgia mae. Bubble canopy, and Sanders trucking sign on the tail. You can also make out the red wing tips.

Race 29
        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

After zooming and playing with it in photoshop to incease color saturation and a bit more, I have to admit it DOES look like the Wiley Sanders Truck Line logo on the tail...

... and you can barely make out the painted wingtips (though I can't be sure of their color).

But Jeannie flew with that tail logo ...see pic.

P-51 Mustang Who? Case: 86 - Jan 01 2001 - Mike Shelton / Reno race #69 - Status: Closed, Serial: 44-15651, Registry: N79111. World War II, North American P-51 Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 12-01-2007, 12:28 PM.

Comment

I believe you are correct.

Originally posted by Race 29
            Accualy, it looks like Georgia mae. Bubble canopy, and Sanders trucking sign on the tail. You can also make out the red wing tips.

Race 29

Comment

It's Georgia Mae - it's the canopy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bottom Rudder
                It's Georgia Mae - it's the canopy.
                And the cut-down doghouse intake that was later used on MA-II prior to the NACA inlet.
                Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                World Speed Record Holder

Comment

It's a mustang!

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
                    It's a mustang!

Jarrod
                    That was great! yes.

Comment

Actually it's the first version of "Georgia Mae" with the modified bubble canopy,the one that John Putman cartwheeled in front of the main grandstand. I'll never forget seeing that happen, as it all seemed to be in slow motion........ "Georgia Mae" came back to race again with a stock canopy.........
                      Last edited by t-dub; 12-03-2007, 02:27 PM.
                      "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub
                        Actually it's the first version of "Georgia Mae" with the modified bubble canopy,the one that John Putman cartwheeled in front of the main grandstand. I'll never forget seeing that happen, as it all seemed to be in slow motion........ "Georgia Mae" came back to race again with a stock canopy.........
                        What year did that happen? I attended '87-90 but can't remember if it was before or after I was there (I think after). What caused the cartwheel? I am obsessed with Georgia Mae the racer to this day... it was striking.
                        _________
                        -Matt
                        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

1980's

Comment

After looking back in my archives, it happened on Sept. 14, 1985 (Saturday) after heat 3b. John had led the first 5 laps of the race, eventually finishing second to Lefty Gardner in "Thunderbird". While landing, he caught a nasty crosswind (damn Nevada wind) right at flareout, and slowly cartwheeled into the sagebrush next to the runway, causing heavy damage to the prop, spinner, wing tips, landing gear, rear fuselage, and I'm sure his ego. I remember hearing talk of how the modified canopy was hard to see out of, and caused distortion, possibly causing John to flare a bit to early and slightly stall before touchdown, instead of flying the plane on to the runway. Might have been just heresay, I guess we'll never know for sure......
                            Last edited by t-dub; 12-03-2007, 06:54 PM.

Comment

The shots that fenceliner posted above are post-accident when they went back to the stock canopy. I have some shots of the modified canopy from 1985, I'll post them when I can dig them out of storage....

Comment

Working...
                              X