Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is okay...

Originally posted by Stubby
    I in no way wish to insult or anger anyone, but I REALLY like the fact that there is only one race per year.
    That is okay that you feel the way you do. It probably makes it more special in some regards that it is only once per year. But for those of us who would like to see the sport grow and to keep those who are involved with it involved, there has to be some money available. Not many people can keep this going year after year as expensive as it is for them to show up.

Look who is "Still" around after all of these years and who is not.

Lyle Shelton...been there since the 70's. Sanders family...70's. Tiger DeStefanie...80's. Rhino...80's. But really who else? John Parker, Lefty Gardner, Bud Granley and a few others have been in...then out...then in...

Yes, some of the planes have survived the years under different ownership...Miss America, Dago, Furias, Critical Mass....

But then look who left the sport because they could not do it anymore...for one reason or another. The last 20-30 years of race programs have many names you may remember of people who are not racing anymore. (I did not want to go into details on the who and the why). Many decided that it was not worth the money they have to spend to make it happen.

The deal is that the sport costs a lot of money, and the pilots / owners can not do it on their own forever. That is why they need some kind of help financially. The only real help comes in the form of sponsorship, and sponsorship comes when they have a viable product they can sell and return some of their spent money. One time per year does not do much for the sponsors so they are not really excited about participating as they would with an automotive format that gets their name seen every other weekend.

It is all about exposure, or the big money people tend not to want to get involved.

Glenn

Comment

The other thing is...where?

I also think if we spaced out the races...say one in January in the south somewhere ( Miami Area?), May in the central part of the U. S. (say Austin,TX?) it would be great......someone breaks too hard and they may miss one...but as far as getting out the message on air racing (all Classes) it would be terrific. As far as the racers getting to the races, they travel pretty far just to get to Reno as it is, and yet everyone could go see them race (at the other two venues) without going thru Dallas/Ft. Worth airport, and those who live out east that want to race could start racing and make the nearest one the one a year race if that is all they would want to do...due to travel distances.
      Randy Rheinschild
      www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

I think, collectively, we are on to something here....with some synergy that just might help the warbirds/dedicated racers.......
        the other Wayne................

Comment

Working...
        X