Fast little plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fast little plane

I think their lots of piston engined planes these days that converted to turbo power.
    And i love the sound of turbo props just like i like the sound a good piston engined plane.

Comment

Re: Fast little plane

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob
      There are pictures of the XF84H Thunderstreak in a book by Lloyd S. Jones called US Fighters 1925 to 1980s. It states that the performance was never declassified but it is reported to have been the fatest propeller-driven plane in the world. The turboprop plane was powered by a 5,850 eshp Allison XT-40 for the navy. The propeller was a 12' diameter Aero Products make. The blades(3) were wafer thin & produced hypersonic sound waves which,though inaudible,created acute nusea in anyone within several hundred feet. The project was cancelled due to engine & prop problems

That plane always pops up in here from time to time...

Inaudible? Far from it! They didn't nickname it "ThunderSCREECH" for nothing...

The XF-84H was possibly the loudest plane ever built, earning the nickname "Thunderscreech" as well as "Mighty Ear Banger". On the ground, they were reportedly audible 25 miles away.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 11-25-2007, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X