>>> S T I L E T T O >>> !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >>> S T I L E T T O >>> !!!

Since Jimmy Leeward's GALLOPING GHOST has been modified to a boil-off radiator system - Here's a trio of vintage 'oldie-but-goldie' shots I think you might enjoy seeing, of one of my absolute alltime favorite Unlimiteds - Race #84 STILETTO (N332) & some great guys involved with this bygone slick thoroughbred Mustang racer. (I believe Matt Jackson will appreciate seeing these.) Really miss this old warhorse (and especially- Mr. 'Z' too!)

First shot was taken Sun. 9/16/84 after rookie entry N332's Unlimited Gold Championship 437.621-mph win w/Skip Holm driving, of a happy & vindicated Dave Zeuschel & several members of his crew (recognize some of these smiling faces?). ('Butterknife'? - gimme a break!)

The second shot fast forwards to Reno '92, with Matt Jackson giving her Merlin a sunset test run on Wed.. 9/16/92, followed up with another sunset pic taken Sat. 9/19/92 capturing Zeuschel-protege'- Rick Schonholtzer pondering what ails Race #84 after her premature pull-out during Lap 4 of Heat 3A. The next day's Gold saw Matt finish STILETTO in 4th place at a respectably-fast 426.219 average speed for the 8-lap final. BuckyD
    Attached Files

Re: >>> S T I L E T T O >>> !!!

Stiletto also one of my all time favorites. I remember when I found out about Mr. Zeuschel's untimely fate, my first thought was "Why did he have to start playing around with jets?" I miss him and his knowledge. I loved his classic line in a Hot Rod magazine interview when asked about the complexity of building an aircraft V-12 versus an auto V-8. "They're all the same. The parts are just bigger."
    "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

I had a soft spot Stiletto as well. Here are a few more.
      Bob
      Attached Files

Comment

Quite simply, Stilletto was one of the best looking racers ever built.

Comment

Bucky D, Fedex Bob, great photos of a classic Reno racer
          race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

awesome stuff thanks

Comment

It's great to know a similar concept is being brought back with the "Ghost".

Comment

I think I accidentally discovered one of Dave's speed secrets while browsing vintage drag racing sites. This is when he was doing some engine work for "TV Tommy" Ivo:

Zeuschel use to add a touch of "Oil of Murban" to the fuel. It would make the exhaust smell like Shinola shoe polish and mesmerized the fans as to what Ivo was running for fuel.

Tom & Zeuschel tried a touch of Perfume one time to really make the fans nuts. But it had such a sweet smell it made the fans sick as it would linger in the air for a long time after a run on a calm night.

Both additives were alcohol based and burned with no ill effect on the motor. But it sure started some rumors as to what made the car so fast and quick.

Maybe liquid Shinola shoe polish.

Did anyone ever notice any empty shoe polish tins in the back of Stiletto's trailer in the 80's? Any unique odors?

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                  I think I accidentally discovered one of Dave's speed secrets while browsing vintage drag racing sites. This is when he was doing some engine work for "TV Tommy" Ivo:

Did anyone ever notice any empty shoe polish tins in the back of Stiletto's trailer in the 80's? Any unique odors?

Now that's funny!

Comment

Here's a 'mini-gallery of more rookie racer - STILETTO, from Reno '84:

Sun. 9/16/84 - a good ramp profile of Race #84 (N332) after winning the 8-lap Gold Championship at 437.621 av/mph.

Sun. 9/9/84 - Pilot Skip Holm looking out from #84's cockpit just after his arrival at Stead Field with the newly-constructed Unlimited racer. The next 9/9/84 photo captures owner Alan Preston listening to Skip's test pilot notes on the aircraft's handling and perfromance, as ramp rats listen-in.

Mon. 9/10/84 - STILETTO's 433.292-mph qualifying run viewed from old Outer 4 Pylon, garnering 4th-fastest slot behind Neil Anderson in Super Sea Fury #8 DREADNOUGHT (442.747), John Crocker in P-51D #6 SUMTHIN' ELSE (442.569) & Ron Hevle in Bill Destefani's P-51D #7 STREGA (440.976), with Rick Brickert in Frank Taylor's P-51D #4 DAGO RED holding 5th-fastest slot (430.641).

Sun. 9/16/84 - STILETTO & DAGO RED run like two scalded cats battling for first place along the fast W. Chute - "Valley of Speed" on Lap-1. (No wonder here why it was inevitable that the entire outer race course perimeter would become secured via installation of the present tall chain link fence system!). Next shot from same location (approaching the W. Guide Pylon), shows Skip flying a fairly-unopposed tighter leading line during Lap-4, after Rick Brickert's dramatic Mayday pullout with Dago the previous lap.

Sun. 9/16/84 - "Agony of Defeat" - Race #4 DAGO RED gets towed back into the pits from Runway 14, after the finish of the dramatic Unlimited Gold Championship final won by STILETTO. Dago's Merlin motor failed on Lap-3 due to a broken connecting rod that nearly cut the engine case in two, while engaged in a heated battle for for the lead with Race #84, and the racer caught fire during the Mayday exit from the race course. Rick Brickert executed a successful (& miraculous) emergency landing of DAGO, to save the aircraft, while narrowly escaping harm in the process.

BuckyD
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BuckyD; 06-28-2008, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus
                      Quite simply, Stilletto was one of the best looking racers ever built.
                      Agreed.
                      _________
                      -Matt
                      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Nice Bucky!

I always love pictures from the VOS with the a/c "riding the wires." BIG

Comment

Bucky, really great photos and history! Something just looks right about Stiletto during its 1984 debut.

As my first Reno was 1986, did Skip reduce power after Rick mayday'd out in '84?
                          Last edited by John; 11-16-2007, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Neat pictures, nice descriptions too!
                            Do you have any more of Dago Red after the race?

Jarrod

Comment

Cool pics Bucky. Pic #5 takes me back to how it used to be before the course was changed and idiots ruined it for the true aficionados.

Comment

Working...
                              X