Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: photos of Glasair III #42?

Default Re: photos of Glasair III #42?

No, OS91FX and a tuned silencer. It doesn't have to be too loud, but I want a little bit of racing sound :-)

Would someone please post a picture if you have one of Jeff Lavelle's prop? Not turning . . . plenty of those are around. I can't find even one picture of his Glasair on the ramp with the prop stopped. I can't find any info that even mentions the prop, much less a picture. There's info on the plane, the engine, the pilot . . . but not the prop. At least I can't find any. Thanks for any help re images and details if possible having to do with his Reno prop.

Mike

10 years after start of construction and 8 years building, I made the first flights with the Glasair!

Progress over those years was slow because there was not much time for building that plane. Also some technical solutions took more time than expected.

Last year I decided to change for an electric motor, which meant further delays but has some advantages over internal combustion engines. Takeoff weight is now at 5900 grams, which is a good result for that size.

All important functions on the plane work properly, but it will take more time to finish the last details like landing gear, cockpit, canopy and colours.
    Maiden flight was perfect. Center of gravity was a bit on the rear, possibly due to the long nose. Aileron and rudder didn't need any trim. Start and landing were smooth. I made about 10 flights until now and it seems the model flies quiet similar as the original one. Very stable in the air, in fact the best model I ever flew. Starts and landings are easy with the tricycle landing gear, it just takes a longer airfield as usual. Due to high wing load, really tight turns are not possible, it will drop a wing then. Speed is quit good and compared with my other racing plane already around 180 km/h with a propeller with low pitch. I still have to try different angles for the flaps in different wind conditions

If someone has pictures of race number 42 from around 2003, it would be still a good help to get the details of the plane right.

The red plane beneath the Glasair on one of the pictures is a de Havilland T.K. 4, a very special one and build by me in the same 1/4 scale (but much quicker than the Glasair). A building report can be found here:
    http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/....asp?th=113438

I'll add flying pictures of the Glasair as soon as possible.

Regards,
    Timo

PS: Question to the forum moderator, somehow I can only add pictures with 1 MByte total? After 5 pictures I already reach that limit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1741_1.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	22777  

Beautiful plane.

It's always good to see a build completed and a topic story completed.

Nice plane. Thanks for sharing.

What I do when I hit my limit, just reply to your post and add 5 more.

Can do that over and over.

PS: Question to the forum moderator, somehow I can only add pictures with 1 MByte total? After 5 pictures I already reach that limit.
    Fixed...thanks for sharing!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

That is way cool! BTW where is Race #42 these days?

Now is race #47 flown by Bob Mills.

Quote Originally Posted by coxtrot View Post
    Now is race #47 flown by Bob Mills.
    I think it's a different airframe? And hasn't 42 been held by Kevin since 2007-ish?
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '18

Thanks for the comments. Here are some more pictures from building the Glasair.

#42 is flying since some years as #47 Lucky Mojo, since Kevin Eldredge sold her to build and fly Relentless.

Although there are kits available for the Glasair II with fixed landing gear, there is no information on the internet of an III with the long six cylinder cowling and retractable gears (which I find is the best looking version).

If there is interest, I can post an extra thread about the TK4. A few weeks ago my wife and me went to England for holiday and visited the de Havilland Museum together with ex employees who started working in the fifties.

My next model will be something different, but I'm already collecting information about another rare racer, the Laird Speedwing Junior. Only little information and a few pictures can be found on the internet. Maybe someone here in the forum knows more about that plane? It was the basis for the famous Solution and Super Solution.

Timo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	215.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	22805   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	214.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	22804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	213.JPG 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	22803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0452_1.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	22798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0472_1.JPG 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	22802  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0207_1.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	22799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0146_1.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	22800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0137_1.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	22801