Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• photos of Glasair III #42?

Hi,

I want to build the Glasair III racer #42 as a semi-scale rc-model. Would be great if someone has detailed photos of that plane.

Background is, once every year I take part in a semi-scale contest called Europe-Semiscale-Cup, until now with my Arado Ar 96. Next plane, the Glasair, will be especially constructed for that competition. I choosed #42 because thats my race-number in rc-pylonracing ;-) Mustn't be perfect scale to the last detail, but the 5-view drawings I have and the few pictures I found on the web show some differences, mainly cowling (I need the older version). Also pictures from every side would help for correct markings.

Best regards, Timo

PS: Interesting forum here, especially the background infos about Reno :-)

Re: photos of Glasair III #42?

I sold this GIII to my very best friend Gary Mead after it stood in for Relentless last year. I am sure he has more images besides these.
    Attached Files
    http://www.kevineldredge.com
    http://www.myairport.com
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your quick answer. Actually I have good pictures from the left and upper side of the plane. Missing are some from the cockpit, underside, details of the old cowling (see attached photo), painting/markings. Landing gear is standard GIII?

I'm really looking forward to this plane. In pylon-racing and aircombat we tested some impressive airfoils. So the Glasair will get a glider profile with excellent aerodynamics. Beside semi-scale-contest, the plane should be a fast racer. Wolf in sheepskin.
      Attached Files

Comment

I have a small file of the detail that you ask about that airplane. John Helms of Lakeport CA nearly had it complete before he was dying of cancer. In about six months I was able to finish the airplane and help him sell it to Servo. It has been to Reno in the Sport Class several times and always done well.

cj

Comment

It's funny that you are asking about the Glasair #42 because I was just emailing Mr. Eldredge and Mr. Mead about using the paint on the Flight Simulator X Glasair III from Australian Simulation. http://www.aussim.com.au/glasair/default.asp

Here is a rough draft of the texture I created. I have made the ribbons that stream back more accurate and added a Hartzell Logo to the side. I'm emailing Mr. Mead right now about changing the number to 47 and putting Luckmojo on it So I'll probably end up posting two textures for the Glasair III. When I do, I'll post in the forum where you can get them. The textures of course will be free.

Oh BTW there is a nice side shot of #42 on airliners.net
          Link
          ERAU Prescott, AZ Grad.
          US Navy Pilot

Comment

Hey, thats great :-) Saves some work I can spend in the construction. Have you read Douglas Adams and the meaning of the number 42?

Hi CJ, I send you a private message.
            Greetings, Timo

Comment

It took quiet some time, but after one year constructing and start building last summer, it starts to look like an aircraft.
              It still would be great if someone has more pictures of the Glasair #42. When it comes to details, many Glasairs differs from each other.

Regards, Timo

Last edited by Timo; 05-29-2009, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Seems I didn't post the pictures correct. Second test:
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks to cold and wet weather, the Glasair is growing further.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looking good! I take it you are going electric power?

Comment

No, OS91FX and a tuned silencer. It doesn't have to be too loud, but I want a little bit of racing sound :-)

Comment

Would someone please post a picture if you have one of Jeff Lavelle's prop? Not turning . . . plenty of those are around. I can't find even one picture of his Glasair on the ramp with the prop stopped. I can't find any info that even mentions the prop, much less a picture. There's info on the plane, the engine, the pilot . . . but not the prop. At least I can't find any. Thanks for any help re images and details if possible having to do with his Reno prop.

Mike

Comment

10 years after start of construction and 8 years building, I made the first flights with the Glasair!

Progress over those years was slow because there was not much time for building that plane. Also some technical solutions took more time than expected.

Last year I decided to change for an electric motor, which meant further delays but has some advantages over internal combustion engines. Takeoff weight is now at 5900 grams, which is a good result for that size.

All important functions on the plane work properly, but it will take more time to finish the last details like landing gear, cockpit, canopy and colours.
                          Maiden flight was perfect. Center of gravity was a bit on the rear, possibly due to the long nose. Aileron and rudder didn't need any trim. Start and landing were smooth. I made about 10 flights until now and it seems the model flies quiet similar as the original one. Very stable in the air, in fact the best model I ever flew. Starts and landings are easy with the tricycle landing gear, it just takes a longer airfield as usual. Due to high wing load, really tight turns are not possible, it will drop a wing then. Speed is quit good and compared with my other racing plane already around 180 km/h with a propeller with low pitch. I still have to try different angles for the flaps in different wind conditions

If someone has pictures of race number 42 from around 2003, it would be still a good help to get the details of the plane right.

The red plane beneath the Glasair on one of the pictures is a de Havilland T.K. 4, a very special one and build by me in the same 1/4 scale (but much quicker than the Glasair). A building report can be found here:
                          http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/....asp?th=113438

I'll add flying pictures of the Glasair as soon as possible.

Regards,
                          Timo

PS: Question to the forum moderator, somehow I can only add pictures with 1 MByte total? After 5 pictures I already reach that limit.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful plane.

It's always good to see a build completed and a topic story completed.

Comment

Nice plane. Thanks for sharing.

What I do when I hit my limit, just reply to your post and add 5 more.

Can do that over and over.

Comment

Working...
                              X