Race Plane Reg. Info from Don Berliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Race Plane Reg. Info from Don Berliner

Only 1 V8 Legend was ever completed, which later was swapped for a turbine. The short story is a bunch of turbines came up cheap and that sort of drove the change. There was a second V8 Legend that was never finished. The kit has changed hands a few times, but last we heard it was intended to be a V8 airplane still.

Jeff Ackland (who is a member here) was flying the Legend in the pic. He has always stuck behind the use of a V8, hence the new P85 airplane mentioned before. It shares a lot in common with the Legend.
    Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Whoops....yes DM I mean Legend, not Legacy. Getting old sucks.

Reno 1997
      Attached Files

Comment

N7TR, now owned by Tom Baber, was the Thunder that raced in 2000, 2nd place Gold. The late Lou Meyer was the Pilot.

- Joseph

Comment

I Miss Lou!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
            Whoops....yes DM I mean Legend, not Legacy. Getting old sucks.

Reno 1997
            Wow - The photos bring back good memories of the trip to Reno 1997 in the V8 Legend. One of the best memories was my check ride, administered by Art Vance - As I recall, he took three or four of us "newbies" out, flying wing on him in his P-51 "Speedball Alice". Art led of course, and I flew #2 on him. What a thrill to see his beautiful Mustang up close in the air! Art was gracious and kind to this rookie, Meeting him and flying with him will always remain a high point in my aviation experience.

Look closely at the second of the two photos in Big Jim's post - you can see a strobe light mounted on the tail of the Legend, even though there are no lights on the wingtips. Unlimited Class rules required any racer weighing less than 4000 lbs to have a tail strobe light operating while on the course, so the "big iron" pilots could see and avoid us as they zoomed past! Advent of the Sport Class has been a good thing.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
            X