Rare Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rare Bear

I believe that the Bears landing gear is pretty much a stock hydraulic system. Conquest I had the hydraulics removed and used a nitrogen system to raise the gear, and gravity to lower it.

Comment

From comments made during the landing gear cycle testing before the races...I gather it is stock. I've got some video from that, but nowhere to upload it.

Lonnie

Comment

The Rare Bear gear is operated by your basic hydraulic system. Using 5606, engine driven pump, accumulator, gear selector valve and finally actuators.

Seeyaontheramp
        Scott

Comment

It was probably left stock due to one time I remember DG in ConquestI flying the race with one gear not fully retracted. The system did reduce the weight somewhat.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

I heard the gear is from a T-33.

Gary

Comment

bear tech,
              dont forget the unloader.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Osif
                I heard the gear is from a T-33.

Gary

This is a quote from John Penney is another thread:

"The landing gear is stock F8F Bearcat, not Corsair. The only things off of a Corsair are the brake master cylinders that supply brake pressure to the Lockheed T-33 brake assemblies."

Lonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob
                  It was probably left stock due to one time I remember DG in ConquestI flying the race with one gear not fully retracted. The system did reduce the weight somewhat.
                  While in Ione after the races this year I was picking Bill Kerchenfaut’s brain about his time with Darryl and one of the things I brought up was the gear hanging issue. He told me that there was a lot of pressure in the system and sometimes when Darryl would retract the gear, they would slam up and bounce off the uplock mechanism causing it to lock without the gear in place.
                  Bill also told me about a time when he was in the cockpit while they were doing gear swing tests, the gear slammed up so hard that the plane literally came off the jacks and somehow made it back on without crashing to the ground…….. That would be a sight to see.
                  He mentioned how Darryl would yaw the plane back and forth during the unlock, gear down sequence, and if you’ve ever seen the old show “A man for the record” you can see him do this during an emergency landing.
                  Jason Schillereff

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk
                    This is a quote from John Penney is another thread:

"The landing gear is stock F8F Bearcat, not Corsair. The only things off of a Corsair are the brake master cylinders that supply brake pressure to the Lockheed T-33 brake assemblies."

Lonnie
                    Thanks for the clarification!

Gary

Comment

Thank very much guys. When I saw the video about the landing gear testing I herd a noise like an electric motor actuating the gear that confused me. Or may it has an electric actioned hydraulic pump.
                      Thanks again.

Comment

snip-"I herd a noise like an electric motor actuating the gear that confused me. Or may it has an electric actioned hydraulic pump."

Exactly...
                        Electric motor powering hydraulic pump to move hydraulic rams to raise and lower landing gear struts.
                        The action of the Bearcat gear is best studied from a video of a gear swing while on wing jacks.
                        Quite a complicated sequence. Ranks up there with the grumman twin amphibians.

Scott B.

Comment

Originally posted by MustangScott
                          snip-"I herd a noise like an electric motor actuating the gear that confused me. Or may it has an electric actioned hydraulic pump."

Exactly...
                          Electric motor powering hydraulic pump to move hydraulic rams to raise and lower landing gear struts.
                          The action of the Bearcat gear is best studied from a video of a gear swing while on wing jacks.
                          Quite a complicated sequence. Ranks up there with the grumman twin amphibians.

Scott B.

As Scotty already said the hydraulic pump is engine driven.

DT/CC

Comment

The pump you hear in the video of the gear swing is from the electric/battery powered hydraulic mule we use on the ground since the Bears hyd pump is engine driven. In the video there is a shot of Dave C. standing next to the cart with the mule on it. You can follow the lines from the cart up the wing of the Bear that plumb into the a/c hyd system.

Hope that helps.

Roger

Comment

Here's a photo to help visualize the geometry of the gear. The upper unpainted section is pulled up into the outboard section of the wing by a hydraulic cylinder. The lower painted leg section is attached to the slave rod (diagonal tube) which swings the lower gear inboard as the upper section swings outboard. All of this allows the gear to be mounted closer to the centerline, which permits the wing mounted cannons to also be closer to the centerline, all of which increases roll rate. Peas
                              Attached Files
                              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Here's another photo of the gear. If there is an area that you like a more detailed picture of, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Lonnie
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X