What awaits in Reno '08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What awaits in Reno '08

Not sure what 08 will bring us as far as air racing...but I do know that I am looking forward to it. I suspect that the 'Bear' will be sporting new paint, and that we will see yet another Gold Class contender emerge.

I came to Reno about 13 years ago with $10.00 and a suitcase. Haven't left yet. It hasn't always been fun, but life is better now than it ever has been.

To quote someone else here on the 'board'...'How many good summers do I left?' I don't know, but I do plan on making the most of the ones that I do...and the winters too

Lonnie

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyz_mustang
      Reno 2008 Fortunes

Reno 2008 is to remind some of Stead in '88...
      Cowboyz_Mustang
      Been waiting for another year like '88. Best part besides the new contenders was watching qualifiying out at Lemmon Valley. Few had qualified so Wed. afternoon was crazy as all were trying to make the deadline. I've never seen so many in the air at once. All going b***s out! It was, amazing! Something I'll probably never see and experience again.
      "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Keep in mind that all posts above are just off season wishes and predictions, NOT fact, not even rumor.

I think it makes sense that September Fury could go to corncob power since slow nose case R-3350s are extinct and R-4360s are somewhat plentiful. Couple that with all of the 4360 experience based at Ione and the potentials for more reliable HP.

One has to wonder if American Spirit will end up with 28 cylinders as well???

Comment

Just because the power section of that engine busted doesn't mean that the EA2 nose case is no good. It's likely they've overhauled major components and reused them thru successive failures... particularly the rare nose case.

I don't think anything would be gained to warrant the re-engineering required to convert to the 4360.

Comment

dago for the win in 08
            composite v-12 ? lol there are a few of those......
            (oh yeah john will be back)
            my own opinion for that last part

Sorry Section 3 guy, I needed to edit that part out. the comment was uncalled for as it was stated.
            Last edited by wolfee; 10-02-2007, 10:34 PM.
            www.renosection3.com

Comment

No Rogers RB-51 II, but the buyer of PM may go all red and consider the RB II name.

Well, let's remember that as far as we know, Roger's aint in possession/ownership of the "RB-51 II" racer, but a gentleman in Illinois?

Comment

Or was in Indiana?

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyz_mustang
                  Or was in Indiana?

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell
                    Keep in mind that all posts above are just off season wishes and predictions, NOT fact, not even rumor.

I think it makes sense that September Fury could go to corncob power since slow nose case R-3350s are extinct and R-4360s are somewhat plentiful. Couple that with all of the 4360 experience based at Ione and the potentials for more reliable HP.

One has to wonder if American Spirit will end up with 28 cylinders as well???
                    Brian says that Matt really likes the 4360 now that he's been flying Dreadnaught for a while. But I've seen the airframe, and the 4360 would be about 1/3 of the total length!
                    Last edited by forbergler; 10-04-2007, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Positioning, supporting and balancing the Allison V-3420-23 engines on Double Threat have presented many challenges, leading to extensive modifications of the F-82x+y Twin Mustang fuselages and cooling systems.
                      Fortunately, the project is continuing, thanks to ample sponsorship from Sani-Hut, virtually a bottomless pit, and in turn thanks to every air race fan doing their duty in Sani-Huts.
                      Target appearance: Same as The Galloping Ghost

Comment

Originally posted by DOUBLE THREAT
                        Positioning, supporting and balancing the Allison V-3420-23 engines on Double Threat have presented many challenges,

Now THAT post was worth waiting for....

Comment

Originally posted by forbergler
                          Brian says that Matt really likes the 4360 now that he's been flying Dreadnaught for a while. But I've seen the airframe, and the 4360 would be about 1/3 of the total length!
                          Actually the engine would sit closer to the firewall then the 3350 and the overall length difference with the engine further back is marginal. The 4360 engine has shown unbelievable power and reliability. In fact I have never seen a 3350 without Nitrous make anything near the 4360. I have seen 4050 HP on the torque meter and the engine acts like its not working hard. Yes it will give up some cooling drag horse power, but I sure like the torque meter readings. As Daryl Greenamyer once said when asked why he used the 4360 in his design. He said " they don't make an 8720. We are currently reviewing our options for power plants. At this moment I have to vote for 4360 after seeing it for myself the last two years. The Sanders are no dummies!!!!! And talk about smooth.

Comment

ya know...

...if you stuck 2 4360's on a tigercat.......

Comment

You'd still need a Faster wing...D.

Comment

Slightly irritated......
                                Why are we continually "stirring the pot" with Red bull negativity.

Red bull pulled off a spectator home run. Would you prefer them doing tractor pulls?

Hey.... its all about airplanes guys.

RaRa has also pulled off a home run too.... smaller, yes ... more "niche" , yes. AND...... 25+ years, doin' the deal.

This is not a horse race between venues. Booooring

BMarsh

Comment

Working...
                                X