Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: stats

Originally posted by Mark Johnston

Not quite right in my opinion. Gary was given press access at my request for a couple of years after he sent me a copy of the notes that I believe later became his book. The stats for the Unlimited Class database that's on the airrace.org Web site were taken directly from hardcopies of official race results from RARA. I should know - I typed every durned one of 'em into the database.
    Mark, first, let me state for the record that I'm very much in appreciation of the work you did on this database, I believe most of us refer to it and Gary's volumes regularly to keep the historical record "honest"

Let me also state that I did not intend to take any of the deserved credit away from you with my statement about Gary providing records for that databbase.

However, in explanation of any confusion on the subject, I refer to this message, quoted from your database results pages, "Grateful acknowledgement is given to Gary Williams for reference to his notes
    during the construction of the database."

Further, I reference my mental notes from a conversation with you at pizza night at either PRS 2000 or 2001, regarding the fact that Gary had been denied his credentials for that particular year. I asked you if Gary had provided information for the results, to which you responded in the affirmative. When I mentioned that Gary had been denied credentials, you and I asked Ellen, who happened to be right in front of us, if there were anything that could be done, she looked at you and you said something to the effect that he should be in, to which Ellen responded in the affirmative, and I subsequently told Gary that he shoulld re-apply and he did.

Again, I do not wish to degrade your credit for a well done and valuable historic reference body but do feel the need to clarify both my initial statement and your response by posting this message.

Also, for the record, I believe Gary's books have been out for several years and did preceed your very good searchable database by quite some time.

Sincere thanks for all that you do,
    Wayne Sagar
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Re: stats

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar

Further, I reference my mental notes from a conversation with you at pizza night at either PRS 2000 or 2001, regarding the fact that Gary had been denied his credentials for that particular year. I asked you if Gary had provided information for the results, to which you responded in the affirmative. When I mentioned that Gary had been denied credentials, you and I asked Ellen, who happened to be right in front of us, if there were anything that could be done, she looked at you and you said something to the effect that he should be in, to which Ellen responded in the affirmative, and I subsequently told Gary that he shoulld re-apply and he did.
      Did we have beers in front of us at the time? That explains that. :-)

I'm happy to go with your mental notes in this case, and will just say that although I referred to Gary's notes during the building of the database, the great bulk of the information came from RARA's own records.

Best regards,

MJ

Comment

Working...
      X