X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frenesi is Growing

Originally posted by 51fixer
    To further confuse things;
    This picture shows 3 aircraft that raced at Reno and Moosejaw.
    These, of course, are other than Frenesi.
    Name the years raced for each, race # and extra credit for the pilots.
    Rich
    Daddy Beasley (Jim) raced #23 Bald Eagle at Reno '83 and Moose Jaw '84. Skip raced #68 Shangri La at Reno '82 (and even though the same plane ran as #97 The Believer and was physically AT Reno '94, she never raced in that configuration.

Not sure about the T-6. But then, it's ONLY a T-6, so it really isn't important anyhow.... (ducking).

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
      Does JB have to run lower power settings during the Horsemen routine in the Princess due to the slicker airframe?
      I don't know the power settings they run.
      I could tell you what it takes to rig the flaps and ailerons so it will fly straight.
      I'm just the mechanic.
      I think this was discussed on the boards at airshowbuzz.com.
      Rich

Comment

Sorry -- I managed to miss that there was a second post! I thought we were still talking just about Frenesi...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
          Does JB have to run lower power settings during the Horsemen routine in the Princess due to the slicker airframe?
          Jim did mention that the C will cruise in the neighborhood of 40 mph faster than Bald Eagle. Thats indicated. What power setting I don't recall.
          When they start the Horsemen routine lead will set a power and the wing will have to do whatever it takes to stay in position.
          This is what Ed sees as he flies doing the routine as shot by Poteet.
          Rich
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 51fixer
            Jim did mention that the C will cruise in the neighborhood of 40 mph faster than Bald Eagle. Thats indicated. What power setting I don't recall.
            When they start the Horsemen routine lead will set a power and the wing will have to do whatever it takes to stay in position.
            This is what Ed sees as he flies doing the routine as shot by Poteet.
            Rich
            Kind of makes me think of my cat when she wants her chin scratched Cool cool picture. Thanks for sharing.
            Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Thanks for sharing the very neat pictures...rb

Comment

Long ago...

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                  Long ago...

Cool!
                  Early 80's.
                  Both have the racing exhaust. Those are upstairs on the shelves.
                  I believe Rick Yearsk flew the SNJ. That is before the JB was put on the tail.
                  All of a sudden I'm drawing a blank on who raced Bald Eagle. He was killed doing a commercial in an A-4.
                  I wonder if this was before or after he went through the fence at the end of the runway at Chino? To this day there is still evidence of that.
                  A couple of years ago the FAA ramp inspected it for an airshow performance. They wrote up a fix-it ticket because it had a ding on the pitot tube that was recieved going through the fence. I had to change it some 20+ years after the fact.
                  Rich

Comment

Glad you like that, Rich. I thought I'd posted that here at some point, but maybe not. Here's Bald Eagle at Moose Jaw:

Comment

Glad you like that, Rich. I thought I'd posted that here at some point, but maybe not. Here's Bald Eagle at Moose Jaw:

Race stacks and the Aeroproducts H prop.
                      Dan Martin now has that prop on Ridge Runner.
                      Rich

Comment

Rich -- what made them "race stacks"? How did they differ from stock? Where did they come from?

Neal

Comment

Rich -- what made them "race stacks"? How did they differ from stock? Where did they come from?

Neal
                          They are made larger.
                          The outlet of the stack is often plugged on the ground with a tennis ball with the race stacks. Which makes for interesting times on the ramp when it is started with them still in place.
                          They are custom made, either completely new build or modified from originals. Being larger they flow more gas.
                          I will have to measure them and compare to the stock for exact sizes.
                          Rich

Comment

Rich -- I would appreciate that. I had been vaguely aware that there were modified racing stacks, but never really gave the matter much thought. So tennis balls won't fit in stock size stacks? (Ignorance showing, I know)

Neal

Comment

Here's the future "Princess E." at Reno 1982 (a very bad weather year).

Comment

[QUOTE=51fixer]Cool!

All of a sudden I'm drawing a blank on who raced Bald Eagle. He was killed doing a commercial in an A-4.

I believe Guy Neely flew Bald Eagle at Reno.
                                Rich

Comment

Working...
                                X