2 Seat Bearcat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Seat Bearcat?

I seem to remember a photo of a Bearcat with a jump seat in the back, I think it was in civil colors. Is it true or am I mistaken?

With everything from Yaks, P-51's, Kittyhawks, Seafuries, Corsairs & Wildcats having had jump seats, why hasn't it been fitted to Bearcats (or at least being so unusual for the type). The Fuselage must be wide enough for it.

Re: 2 Seat Bearcat?

I think there was a Bearcat that was orange and blue that had a jump seat in it, it was called "Gulfhawk", but I'm not sure.

I don't think there's enough room behind the pilot's seat in a Bear, The pilot is cramped enough, but I'm sure someone doesn't mind

Comment

Have you heard about the Wildcat that had 5 seats?

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Carroll
        I think there was a Bearcat that was orange and blue that had a jump seat in it, it was called "Gulfhawk", but I'm not sure.

I don't think there's enough room behind the pilot's seat in a Bear, The pilot is cramped enough, but I'm sure someone doesn't mind
        Elmer Ward had a two seater running around in the early 90's in Gulfhawk colors. Balled it up and dont know where it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by spinner
          Elmer Ward had a two seater running around in the early 90's in Gulfhawk colors. Balled it up and dont know where it is now.
          Is'nt the POF project cat Elmer's?
          "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

I don't think it's the Air Museum's, I think John Hinton, Steve Hinton and Kevin Eldridge own it.

The second seat takes away the rollover structure, so any overturn would be a very bad day.

There was another Bearcat with a seat in the fuselage back behind the cockpit. Talk about a sh*thole place to ride... Dark, can't see, carbon monoxide and little crashworthiness.

Comment

Originally posted by Bottom Rudder
              I don't think it's the Air Museum's, I think John Hinton, Steve Hinton and Kevin Eldridge own it.

The second seat takes away the rollover structure, so any overturn would be a very bad day.

There was another Bearcat with a seat in the fuselage back behind the cockpit. Talk about a sh*thole place to ride... Dark, can't see, carbon monoxide and little crashworthiness.
              Is this the plane you're thinking of? I thought when Square One went down that the museum took on Elmer's project. I'm relying on a fuzzy memory here but the image below was shot in Feb of this year, dont know the details, just offering possibility.

Anthony
              Attached Files
              "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Here's the scoop on the Bearcat above:
                This site tracks the history of all Grumman F8F Bearcats that survived military service.

Here's the last info on the former Elmer Ward F8F:
                The warbird registry is source of information documenting all aircraft used by the worlds military that managed to survive that service.
                Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by spinner
                  I believe Stephen Grey bought it when Square One closed.
                  Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
                    Yes, I have flown in the pattern with this plane, owned by Dick Foote New Smyrna Beach, FL. See: http://www.warbirdregistry.org/f4fre.../f4f-86680.htm

When I got on the ground I was staring at it, well b/c it's a warbird, but noticed the little windows in the aft fuselage. At the time I was wondering if it was some kind of a photo recon variant, but the windows weren't pointed down. Very strange, but interesting.

WOW!! That's gotta wreak havoc on your weight and balance calculations!!!

FBK

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Carroll
                      The jump seat in a Mustang isn't exactly huge either. I had a ride in Merlin's Magic this afternoon and I can tell you for a guy my size (6'6") getting in there was ... well ... interesting. Had to take the seat cushions out just to get in there. But as Trey suggested, I did not mind. What a blast!!

By the way, they can still use donations to the cause. I sent them one.
                      Bill Garnett
                      InterstellarDust
                      Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Now that's interesting! Though since Steve has done several projects for Mr. Grey, it may be a "registration of convenience" since Grey is not American.

Comment

Working...
                        X