Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boeing Stratoliner Down In Seattle

Default NTSB Report

Preliminary NTSB report is in. Looks like fuel starvation.

NTSB 307 link

Default Re: NTSB Report

Originally posted by W J Pearce
    Preliminary NTSB report is in. Looks like fuel starvation.

NTSB 307 link
    Pretty clear that the engines were not gettin any gas, I guess the big question would then be, was there any gas?

Wayne

Default Prayin' for fuel

I sure hope there was fuel in the tanks. I would hate to see this being pilot error. It does seem like he had his hands full at the time. I just hate to see it.

Bill Pearce

Default Re: Prayin' for fuel

Originally posted by W J Pearce
    I sure hope there was fuel in the tanks. I would hate to see this being pilot error. It does seem like he had his hands full at the time. I just hate to see it.

Bill Pearce
    I do too, guy does that good of a job getting an airplane down with nobody hurt and the plane in better shape than could ever be expected deserves a medal, hopefully it works out that way for him.

Wayne

A B17 guy Guest

Knowing the kind of people involved, both pilots are Boeing test pilots, I am sure that amount of fuel aboard was not the problem.
    In a disscussion with an individual closely involved in the recovery effort, although he was restricted in what he could say because of the ongoing investigation, he did say that during recovery while were pumping water out to lighten it, they pumped water and Fuel out of the tanks. He did not say how much.
    No. 4 engine was running when it hit the water, and suffered the most. Including a broken engine mount. The landing gear broke off and damaged the airframe.
    The main effort now is to prevent salt damage by fresh water rinsing, including a chemical to neutralise the salt, and disassemble components and put them in fresh water baths.
    The aircraft is repairable, the question is $$$, and if it will ever be allowed to fly again.