Red Bull gets network attention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bull gets network attention

ABC network news carried a decent piece on the Red Bull race series tonight -- nice to see aviation getting positive media coverage for once
    Might even be some video with these links:
    Jim Sciutto heads to the sky and previews London's first air race show.

Get the latest news stories and headlines from around the world. Find news videos and watch full episodes of World News Tonight With David Muir at ABCNews.com.

Re: Red Bull gets network attention

I saw it. It was a good piece.
    Only issue, it seemed to me, was it made it look like air racing never existed before.
    Jeff Loewe
    www.jlofoto.com

Comment

Originally posted by zaqwrx
      I saw it. It was a good piece.
      Only issue, it seemed to me, was it made it look like air racing never existed before.
      When in fact, as we all know, it goes WAY back! Here's a Firecracker replica that flew into Oshkosh last Monday.
      Attached Files
      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

_________
        -Matt
        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Seems RARA's Bulls are still in the Barn...D.

Comment

Red Bull sends a lot of advertising money (millions) toward the networks (which RARA cannot) so their "sports" and "events" get coverage. For the networks, it has nothing to do with promoting a sport or televising somethnig of interest to the viewers. I continue to be amazed at how many people I meet that remember the air race coverage televised by ABC many years ago and are surprised to learn that there is still air racing in Reno.

Comment

There is another point and one that I truly did not understand until recently when I was at an event where RARA's Mike Houghton spoke.

The Reno Air Races are in a somewhat unique position, in that, they host a world class event in a town that is really not "world class" in its population size... They have to bring in capacity from outside the area and, here's what many of us have never known (probably) or, at least, understood well..

Historically, the Reno area hotels are filled each September, meaning, we, the outsiders, ARE continuing to support the sport. RARA's marketing to us is and has been working, we are returning and filling the hotels to capacity.

The thing I personally was never really aware of is that the continuing success of the event annually rests with RARA appealing to the LOCAL population, getting them coming out to the event! Not to mention in no small way, the WEATHER cooperating so that those locals simply don't just stay home warm and fuzzy!

So, where some of us over the years have criticized RARA for "marketing small," aiming at the local population, cutting into them for "not getting it".. in truth, it has been WE that didn't get it..

Might be hard for some of us to swallow but, have you ever tried to get a room late in the game? Might the difficulty in doing that indicate the situation there is at saturation levels for bringing in outsiders?

Ever seen the stands empty on Saturday and Sunday?

Anyway... just some stuff to ponder when making "in the hangar" type comments..

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Ever seen the stands empty on Saturday and Sunday?
                The stands are for the most part empty at 8:00 on Sunday when the IF-1 Gold has been run the last few years. Not much better at 8:30 for the Biplane Gold. It appears the neither the locals or the outsiders are interested in getting out of bed at 0-dark thirty for the early races.

Comment

Originally posted by Tosg
                  The stands are for the most part empty at 8:00 on Sunday when the IF-1 Gold has been run the last few years. Not much better at 8:30 for the Biplane Gold. It appears the neither the locals or the outsiders are interested in getting out of bed at 0-dark thirty for the early races.
                  That's correct but does not affect the "bottom line" as far as the promoter is concerned..

That said, early attendence is partly due to the "what goes down in Reno stays in Reno" syndrome (read that PARTY HARDY) and partly to the way the course is laid out, and maybe most of all, education of the fans...

The competition in the "early" classes is tough and hard fought, but not much is said about it all year long. For this publication, we just don't have the "staff" to dig out news to keep the fires burning, for others, my guess is they would accept submissions if sent.. (read THAT PRESS RELEASES class guys>>>)))

Anyway..

edit: we'd put PR's up too, if we got them..
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                    Tell me about it.
                    We call them our 'Tom Slick' crowd, (for those of you old enough to remember that show).

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                      I would hate to play trivia with you ..
                      I'd love to find a game that doesn't have obscure stuff, like soccer questions...

Comment

Working...
                      X