Enjoy Shawn
    Attached Files

Re: for Randy Goss

Very cool Shawn!
    Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
    RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Hey, finally an airplane I think I've actually seen in the flesh. Was it a regular at Merced in the late 70s?
      No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
      http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Don DeWalt's Exorcist. Funny, I have been corresponding with his son who is looking for people who knew his Dad. PM me if you would like to help.

BillRo

Comment

Bill, PM sent...........

I always liked the the "Excorcist" paint scheme........ and I just happen to have #74 reserved..... Hmmmmmmm

Maybe with this style flames.......That woud be smokin'...err..flamin'!!
          Attached Files
          RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
            Wasnt' that the T-6 that went down after it's tail feathers were hit by another a/c ? If so, a former crewmember is a friend/co-worker here in Tucson.
            Don DeWalt and "Excorcist" were lost in a mid air at Reno 1978

RIP 03/17/10

Comment

My Uncle Ken Shea was associated with the plane, he and Don were close friends, unfortunately my uncle passed away last year after a long bout with cancer. I can check with my aunt and see if she has any pictures I can scan in.

Comment

the other t-6 that went down in that accident was his first year racing ?

Comment

The flames on that RV-4, -6, ?, are the coolest I've seen. Had to do a double-take to make sure they weren't real!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
                    the other t-6 that went down in that accident was his first year racing ?
                    Rookie Dmitry Prian...as I recall, he was the T-6 class 'flight surgeon' or something of the sort.

This accident is one of the classic tragedies of losing situational awareness, and one of the reasons that you pass on the outside and hence the requirement that the faster aircraft keep the aircraft being overtaken IN VIEW at all times.

I happen to know a friend of mine who was mighty upset a couple years ago because a competetor did just that while he/she was trying to overtake the plane my friend was associated with.

The photos from this accident are some of the most gruesome ever seen (and if you've seen them, you know why...and you'll never forget them), and are routinely used at PRS to illustrate the seriousness of the rules, and the results if you blow them off.

Comment

And one of the reasons there were no T-6 races in 79, 80 or 81. I've seen 2 midairs in the T-6 class and both were horrible.
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                        And one of the reasons there were no T-6 races in 79, 80 or 81. I've seen 2 midairs in the T-6 class and both were horrible.
                        Of course, it didn't help that the races at that time were run on the smaller IF1/Bipe course....tighter turns, shorter straights...closer packs.

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                          Not to be flip - but mid-airs are ALWAYS horrible.

The T6 class has some very tight racing and seems to be more prone to it - sadly.
                          Having talked about this with a few T-6 pilots over the years (Pat Palmer, Jim Landry, Bob Jones, and even select members of the Goss clan), the main perception to that seems to be similar to what you have at NASCAR "restrictor plate" races...in that you just don't have the speed differential to 'get out of danger' when the gap goes away.

The planes are so big...and so relatively close on speed, there just isn't any way to accellerate or maneuver out of the accident.

If there's no throttle left.......

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                            you just don't have the speed differential to 'get out of danger' when the gap goes away
                            And that is why EVERY SINGLE PILOT must, #1, maintain SA (Situational Awareness) and, #2, not take the "gap" away from any other pilot. It's just a race...for a title, a trophy, and a few bucks. Contrary to what some apparently believe, it is not worth hurting yourself or somone else for. $.02

OK, I'm off my soapbox now.

Comment

Hello My name is Don Mcgarry and my e-mail address is twoteeki@msn.com. I'm trying to find out any information on my father Don Dewalt(pictures, friends, and etc). If anyone has anything please e-mail me back. I live in Yuma Az. :

Comment

Working...
                              X