Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: BiPlane Class rules

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Crestline, CA
    Posts
    19

    Default BiPlane Class rules

    First:
    does anyone have a link, or knowere I can get the 2007 Bi-Plane Class Rules. I can only find an outdate 2003 version.

    Second:
    Can any one clarify the rules for me. The Biplane class (as I understand it) says that a Normally Aspirated Lycoming O360 of not greater than 180hp must be used. Does this mean No Fuel Injection is allowed....or just no Turbocharging.

    thanks Everyone.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Crestline, CA
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: BiPlane Class rules

    sorry everyone...I forgot to mention.....This is for Racing up at Reno.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Five minutes from the Ramp
    Posts
    377

    Default Re: BiPlane Class rules

    Quote Originally Posted by chixfly2
    Contact the Class President.

    Dennis Brown
    does that mean that the rules aren't published , or that they aren't etched in stone?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    907

    Default Re: BiPlane Class rules

    I've asked for a copy for years, and always get "yeah.... yeah... got 'em some where, I'll get back to you......."
    I'm not sure there really are rules, seems like if they like you, it's OK.
    The web site is terrible, and they've had issues sticking with by-laws. Although they don't seem to be hurting for pilots, they could go a long way in presenting a more professional image. IMHO

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    Posts
    682

    Default Re: BiPlane Class rules

    If you have an O-360 of any designation that has parallel valve cylinder heads, you can do anything you want to the induction (Bendix FI, Ellison, pressure carb, whatever), ignition (mags, electronic, whatever), cam timing (any lift or duration), valve train (roller rockers), and combustion chambers (open up and polish to you hearts content). I think the max compression ratio is 11 to 1 (It was 10 to 1 when I was racing in '98,'99 but I think it was upped), and it cannot be supercharged (or turbo) and it cannot have nitrous or any additive in the fuel tank except pump gas (I always wanted to try nitro and propylene oxide, darn it), of which I always used 100/130 octane with the mags timed up until they hit the motor mount tubes (about thirty degrees).

    IO-360 angle valve engines must be stock.

    That is all I know, some of it could be wrong.

    I was mailed a set of rules in 1998 by Denny Brown, so if you are racing up there you can procure them from him. I'm sure they'll be more up to date than mine!

    Chris...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Five minutes from the Ramp
    Posts
    377

    Default Re: BiPlane Class rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McMillin
    If you have an O-360 of any designation that has parallel valve cylinder heads, you can do anything you want to the induction (Bendix FI, Ellison, pressure carb, whatever), ignition (mags, electronic, whatever), cam timing (any lift or duration), valve train (roller rockers), and combustion chambers (open up and polish to you hearts content). I think the max compression ratio is 11 to 1 (It was 10 to 1 when I was racing in '98,'99 but I think it was upped), and it cannot be supercharged (or turbo) and it cannot have nitrous or any additive in the fuel tank except pump gas (I always wanted to try nitro and propylene oxide, darn it), of which I always used 100/130 octane with the mags timed up until they hit the motor mount tubes (about thirty degrees).

    IO-360 angle valve engines must be stock.

    That is all I know, some of it could be wrong.

    I was mailed a set of rules in 1998 by Denny Brown, so if you are racing up there you can procure them from him. I'm sure they'll be more up to date than mine!

    Chris...
    thanks Chris.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Five minutes from the Ramp
    Posts
    377

    Default Re: BiPlane Class rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Apteryx
    I've asked for a copy for years, and always get "yeah.... yeah... got 'em some where, I'll get back to you......."
    I'm not sure there really are rules, seems like if they like you, it's OK.
    The web site is terrible, and they've had issues sticking with by-laws. Although they don't seem to be hurting for pilots, they could go a long way in presenting a more professional image. IMHO
    ouch! I imagine this must cause problems from time to time...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    907

    Default Re: BiPlane Class rules

    Quote Originally Posted by fenceliner01
    ouch! I imagine this must cause problems from time to time...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Crestline, CA
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: BiPlane Class rules

    ok, cool thanks everyone, I know Deni Brown.....he is checking me out in his S2 starting next week. I just wanted to make sure the S1-S I am buying is raceable.....hehehe.
    thanks kids.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •