Birth of a Stearman!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth of a Stearman!

I don't think any airplane can hold much more tradition than the venerable Boeing Stearman! Along with the North American T-6, this airplane was responsible for trainig most of the men and women who saved our way of life in the terrible era that was the 1940's!

My very good friend Gary Thompson, who is truly responsible for most of the early success of this website, has just given birth to an entirely new Stearman at his base in Chico, California...

I'm only going to post one shot of this wonderful new airplane, then we're going to head down and give both Gary and the new child the coverage they deserve!

This airplane is destined to be a prize winner, even though, her father only wants to see her fly.. nothing more..

I give you the newest Boeing Stearman Biplane!!!!!!!!! Congratulations Gary Thompson and all involved and a very deep thanks for both bringing this airframe to life and sharing it with the world!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Birth of a Stearman!

That is a beautiful airplane. Do you know if Gary will be flying it down the the Merced Fly-in that is coming up in June?

Comment

Thanks for the pix Wayne. Did not realize that the Stearman was finished. Sure like to see it. The Nut Tree is having some type of fly in Aug 25. Perhaps they can get him to chug it on down.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance
        That is a beautiful airplane. Do you know if Gary will be flying it down the the Merced Fly-in that is coming up in June?
        Yes he is!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by spinner
          Thanks for the pix Wayne. Did not realize that the Stearman was finished. Sure like to see it. The Nut Tree is having some type of fly in Aug 25. Perhaps they can get him to chug it on down.
          Steve, I didn't know that you knew Gary! He is one of the special people in this world!

Not sure where all he's gonna take her... I'm going to try to find out if he can get her entered into the heritage cup at Reno though..

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
            Steve, I didn't know that you knew Gary! He is one of the special people in this world!

Not sure where all he's gonna take her... I'm going to try to find out if he can get her entered into the heritage cup at Reno though..

Gary is a bud of Rollisons and I met him a long time ago in my hanger. Dont know if he will remember me or not. Sure like to see him at RAR east ramp show. Be great if he got the trophy. Pix of Jelly Belly's Stearman. My son takes care of it for them and bumps it around when he has time. Cool site Wayne. First time I have been around. Thanks. ss
            Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations to Mr. Thompson. I absolutely love the paint on this bird.
              No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
              http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Yes he is!
                Very cool. I will look for him. This years Merced Fly-in is shaping up to be a good gathering of vintage aviation. If your in the area it would be worth spending the day checking out all the old airplanes.

The homepage for the event: http://www.antiqueflyin.com/

Comment

Beautiful airplane. Always loved the Stearman.

Comment

Well Wayne,
                    Gary and the airplanes father brought the Stearman to Merced for the antique fly-in, and the picture you posted, although nice, did not nearly do the aircraft justice. The three year project produced a STUNNING example of the enduring Stearman and my hat goes off to the owner for finishing the trainer off in an absolutely beautiful civilian paint scheme. The coloring is nothing short of amazing, and the attention to detail makes this effort a sure fire WINNER.
                    Gary, and I had a long talk about the restoration of this project and the conversation soon led to our own Wayner, and it would seem Wayne that we both have the same circle of friends. Hehehehehehehe. Wayno, we will have to talk later about things. LOL!!!!

Dave

Comment

Dave...

you have more? (photos)

I almost wish I'd have decided to drive to PRS instead of flying so I could stop by and see Gary and the plane. I'm going to have to make a dedicated trip there very soon tho..

How do you know Gary?

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

What a beauty. I love the colors and retro graphics, all as it should be.
                        I hope to see it sometime around here in Yolo County.

My good friend in college in Southern Oklahoma had an old, un-cut stocker with a 220 Lyc. We had a blast in that thing. Later I flew one as a young Ag Pilot until the other guy crashed it on takeoff, overloaded, windy day, narrow strip and no clue.

Dennis

Comment

Re: Birth of a Stearman! UPDATE

Sadly, our good friend and gift to aviation, Gary Thompson has passed. Blue Skies Forever GaryT!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                          X