Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT's about F'ing time!

Hey 2007 Drag Racing Hall of Famer!
    Dave Zeuschel has finally gotten recognized for a sport that as huge as he was in air racing, he was bigger in. The Drag race guys have finally acknowledged the guy that brought them among other things, Zoomie headers, Nylatron Buttons on the pistons. Now when are the Motorsports Hall of Famers going to recognize Dwight and "Z" for their overall contributions to multiple forms of Motorsports??????

By The way Little Dave if you still drop by and read here, Congratulations, your dad was the best!

John Slack

Re: IT's about F'ing time!

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
    Now when are the Motorsports Hall of Famers going to recognize Dwight and "Z" for their overall contributions to multiple forms of Motorsports??????

Dwight, of course, did stuff on the Unlimited Hydroplanes. He was crew chief for the Pride of Pay'n Pak the year that they ran twin Keith Black Chrysler Hemi's. Its also little known, but Kerch did the engine work on the T-53 turbines on the U-95--the first turbine powered unlimited hydroplane to compete. Chuck Lyford was project manager.

Comment

Cool BCIV.....but who was the sicko that invented those Spiroloc clips we all love to hate on the wrist pins...???

Good to hear you're around...& i love the picture in the alternate post!!
      GregS

Comment

John -- I have less than I thought of Z. This is from Reno 1984 (in fact you cann see an out of focus Skip in the background by the airplane).

Neal
        Attached Files

Comment

And another from the same conversation. One real regret I have is that I never got to know Dave well. I was just beginning to, when suddenly he was gone.

A real pioneer and innovator, as well as a master at getting big sponsors and keeping them happy -- he is still missed after almost 20 years. I'm very glad to see him get some recognition...
          Attached Files

Comment

thats awesome to see someone like Dave Z get recognised, now being only in my 20's and living in NZ i have only read about these great guys who really helped make the unlimited class what it is and even tho for another motorsport avenue, get the recognition they rightly deserve
            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

This was big time air racing in 1985!

This is Z and his wife (whose name, I'm ashamed to say, escapes me entirely after 20 years) at Minter Field before the June 1985 Race -- waiting for something to happen.

The man in the shade, and the Lady in the sun -- we have the same general division of labour in my household, LOL.

Notice the drums -- no VP fuel truck here! I have a vivid memory of Dave rolling blue drums up and down the ramp in the sunset -- mixing the (seriously augmented) fuel...

I agree with Matt J. -- I don't know how anybody could look at this airplane and not see it as the epitome of what could be done for the ultimate Mustang-based racer. It was such a shame to see it cut up and discarded.

John, or Matt Jackson -- do either of you know what power Skip actually pulled at near sea level, and how fast he turned that motor with these little prop blades? I've always heard some startling numbers.

Bakersfield was a truly amazing race -- some thing like 6 former and future Champions, no holds barred toe to toe slugging it out at very high power settings, dramatic subplots all over the place, and hardly any spectators!

And Dave Zeuschel, right in the middle of it all...

Neal
              Attached Files

Comment

For sure!!! I new Zuch in the Drag Racing days... Great guy, him and the "Mood" (Don Moody) at Lion's and "The Frog Pond (San Fernando) were most exciting in those dayze... We met again at Reno in the late 80's, found he was as equally exciting, competitive and passionate about Air Racing, his new world...and was still as great a guy... He was who he was... rb

Comment

Originally posted by wingman

This is Z and his wife (whose name, I'm ashamed to say, escapes me entirely after 20 years) at Minter Field before the June 1985 Race -- waiting for something to happen.

The man in the shade, and the Lady in the sun -- we have the same general division of labour in my household, LOL.

Notice the drums -- no VP fuel truck here! I have a vivid memory of Dave rolling blue drums up and down the ramp in the sunset -- mixing the (seriously augmented) fuel...

I agree with Matt J. -- I don't know how anybody could look at this airplane and not see it as the epitome of what could be done for the ultimate Mustang-based racer. It was such a shame to see it cut up and discarded.

John, or Matt Jackson -- do either of you know what power Skip actually pulled at near sea level, and how fast he turned that motor with these little prop blades? I've always heard some startling numbers.

Bakersfield was a truly amazing race -- some thing like 6 former and future Champions, no holds barred toe to toe slugging it out at very high power settings, dramatic subplots all over the place, and hardly any spectators!

Neal
                  Gossman has some really good home video of that race--taken from the Warlock pit. Of course, there is WAY TOO MUCH Bearcat worshiping, but nonetheless...we can forgive him for that.

Comment

Originally posted by MUSNTCHIT
                    For sure!!! I new Zuch in the Drag Racing days... Great guy, him and the "Mood" (Don Moody) at Lion's and "The Frog Pond (San Fernando) were most exciting in those dayze... We met again at Reno in the late 80's, found he was as equally exciting, competitive and passionate about Air Racing, his new world...and was still as great a guy... He was who he was... rb

The "Frog pond" and "The Mood" those are definately the right passwords to the club of those that were.
                    John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                      Gossman has some really good home video of that race--taken from the Warlock pit. Of course, there is WAY TOO MUCH Bearcat worshiping, but nonetheless...we can forgive him for that.
                      Any chance of that getting posted? Is it RandyFire?

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by wingman

Neal
                        We were pitted right across from Dave and at this point in the week Dave and I had already zeroed in on the CheeseBurger greasy pit across hwy 99 from the airport about a mile and a half down the road. At Bakersfield I had not started blossoming into size that I currently seem to be stuck at, But on a couple of occasions I made a Burger run across the road for Dave and myself. Dave looked so bizarre when he was surrounded by the trappings of war right then, A general who's army had not arrived. Annette was Daves wifes name, but she had many nick names.
                        John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon

Definitely excused for that, especially since the fastest lap of the whole weekend, qualifying included, was 440mph by the Bearcat in "the great catch-up" during the final.
                          It smoked the whole field, except for Ron.
                          1 more lap?
                          Chris...

Comment

Its wonderful to see Dave finally recongnized in the Hall of Fame. He was my closet friend and the smartest and kindest man I ever knew. I am not afraid to say that I still love and think of Dave after all these years. I can still hear him yelling from the back seat of a P51 "Jetson don't screw this up or I'll have to kill you" Dave I hope there is a heaven because someday I'd like to see you again and give you a big hug I've really missed you!!!!!!!!

Matt Jackson

Comment

I understand Matt, Dave left a big hole in a lot of hearts that will never ever be filled. My favorite quote from Dave to me, "Slick You gotta style all your own, in a place where only one guys style matters. Mine" .

Another Davism;

I had used the little Blue shop truck one day out delivering parts around the valley, Somewhere along the route one of those trucks that pump out oil pits had a leak and sprayed down the whole right side of the little truck drenching it in oil. I got back to the shop, Dave walked out and looking at the truck, "How the hell did you do that? You've Bearcatted my truck!" off to the do it yourself carwash down the street.

Dave with a customer;

At Reno one year an engine had burned down one bank, due to improper ADI Pressure. The owner only wanted to change one bank but Dave wanted to hit it with both sides. Daves Quote " Those girls all went to the dance and danced with the same guy, Don't you think they all caught the same disease?

Yep, Only one guy's style mattered, And sadly that style was one of a kind. He Brought us Jeannie, He brought us Stiletto, Dave didn't always sit on the sides and wait for a customer, He Thought up the project then went for the guy to fund it. Dave's Loss to the sport is related in impact for those that weren't around to the same effect as Dwight's retirement.
                              John Slack

Comment

Working...
                              X