P-38 Photo challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-38 Photo challenge

In light of the old photos everyone is digging out of the glory days. I have heard that at some point Levitz raced a black 38. Does anyone have pictures?

Re: P-38 Photo challenge

It was at War Eagles Air Museum in Santa Theresa NM
    Last time I saw it

Comment

I have pics of Double Trouble after it's accident. They are slides and be darned if I know which of about 50 slide boxes they are in!
      If I remember right she only showed up black in 83. with a red 38 on the tail. She was promptly damaged in a gear retract accident and Levitz said "enough".
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Dug this out of the old photos box, War Eagles Museum 1998

A planned fuel stop for us and quick tour before climbing back in the Golden Gate Wing's SNJ and heading on to Midland for the CAF Airsho.

Comment

The black P38 was at War Eagles museum in Santa Teresa when I was last there in 2004. Garner in Albuquerque

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
            She was promptly damaged in a gear retract accident and Levitz said "enough".
            Actually, I believe he said "If I had a gun right now I'd shoot that son of a *****" (referring to 'Rotten Richard', who was in the cockpit), and then turned around and walked away.

A sad, sad moment.

Comment

Reno 1977 photo by mt Dad shawn
              Attached Files

Comment

Here are a couple of photos scanned from slides in my collection of P-38L
                N345, 44-27087 at Reno. Photos by Bob Kennedy and show it in better time before gear retract incidient and one after gear retract.

Comment

OK, seeing Shawn's B/W P-38 photo reminded me of one my Grampa had.
                  Actually 2 of the same ship. I dug them out and scanned them. It the first or second......XP-38......(late '30s!)! It's remarkable how clean that ship was at the start......I think these photos are declassified.....
                  Attached Files
                  Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Originally posted by SpinB
                    OK, seeing Shawn's B/W P-38 photo reminded me of one my Grampa had.
                    Actually 2 of the same ship. I dug them out and scanned them. It the first or second......XP-38......(late '30s!)! It's remarkable how clean that ship was at the start......I think these photos are declassified.....

I always did like the cowls on the XP-38 the best. The final versions (starting with the J? or was it the H?) that had the intercooler between the oil coolers in the "beard" below the spinner were not nearly as attractive, but more functional. The two-hole production cowls (oil coolers only, intercooler was in the wing leading edge on those versions) that were retrofitted on Lefty's 'White Lightnin'" when it was de-turboed are almost as sleek as the X plane's cowls.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
                      Reno 1977 photo by mt Dad shawn
                      Also courtesy of Shawn's dad, Chuck

Originally posted by Leo
                      They are slides and be darned if I know which of about 50 slide boxes they are in!
                      I feel that... spent the last 3 days reorganizing my slides/prints in preparation for the big move to OKC - and I still need a few more days of work left. Luckily I had this one on one of my archive disks on the computer.
                      Mark K....

Comment

hi Mark hope you doing well Shawn

Comment

That 38 is really looking good in the black paint job!

T J

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
                            hi Mark hope you doing well Shawn
                            Hi Shawn - I'm doing quite well sir, thanks for asking
                            Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by T J Johansen
                              That 38 is really looking good in the black paint job!

T J
                              The black paint made the airplane look small.

Comment

Working...
                              X