Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best flying experiences

Originally posted by speeddemon

I remember flying the P-3 from Oman to Fujarah in the UAE one time. Officially, it was listed as a 'training flight'. Unofficially, it was a pizza run for the whole squadron.
    Next time I get a pizza I'm going to want it delivered by a helo, maybe the Marines could rappel it down from a Sikorsky

That's a long way to go and still keep the pizza hot

Comment

Not my experience, but my dad has talked about loading a C-130 with warm beer, climbing to altitude, depressurizing and opening the doors and ramp. Fly around for awhile and land with a load of cold beer for the Marines when he was in Nam! The crew used to trade the trip for whatever goodies the Marines would give.
      They also used to chase along the river trying to blow over sanpans. Until the went thru a stand of trees and had te explain the "evasive action" they took "under fire"....
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I've had a few good trips.....
        Front seat in a WACO UPF, flying down a road with the Poplar trees on either side missing by scant feet and seeing oncoming traffic of the surface variety with the operator's eyes the size of saucers! Very fun....

In the nose of 'Fuddy Duddy'.....(see avatar)

Backseat in a T-34 witha former boss driving. You know, the old ' hey, what's that over your shoulder'....next thing I knew, nearly inverted, head in my lap and a 'slowly descending Red Curtain' over my eyes. Yes, I went 'cold mike', but, I didn't spill a drop!!
        Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Originally posted by SpinB
          Backseat in a T-34 witha former boss driving. You know, the old ' hey, what's that over your shoulder'....next thing I knew, nearly inverted, head in my lap and a 'slowly descending Red Curtain' over my eyes. Yes, I went 'cold mike', but, I didn't spill a drop!!
          About 10 years ago I went flying with Chris Fahey in the PoF Mustang. We were out over the backwoods and he was doing all sorts of loops, rolls, pulls, etc....and I wasn't making any comments from the back seat. I KNOW he was trying to make me sick. He started to ask how I was doing, and in mid-sentence goes "Crap...I forgot you fly in the Navy.....You're LOVING this stuff, aren't you?"

Comment

Flying a beautifully restored, borrowed Stearman cross-country with a good friend for some six or seven hours (three fuel stops) with the steady growl of a R-985 out front; then dropping into the coolness of the Columbia River Gorge for the last hour of flight home, and replaying twenty-five years of aviation that brought me to that moment

Thanks Skeets...

Comment

First solo, for sure. Had to go around on 2nd approach, it just didn't fell quite right. About 45 min of left seat time in a DC-3 back when FedEx only had the Falcons...and a bunch of supplementals. And no doubt, the Speedball Alice ride with Art Vance. Oh yeah, there were the beer runs to Kansas 'cause Oklahoma was 3.2... and the time we got 3 people in a 150.

Comment

A low level flight in a D Model Huey from Tay Ninh to Ben Hoa on my flight leaving Vietnam. I still have a Super 8mm movie of that flight. I had made dozens of flights in Hueys during combat assaults into the jungle. This was my first 'pleasure cruise' in a Huey. No wings of course but still, they fly pretty well most of the time.

A Company 2/5th 1st Calvary Division Air Mobil Yeah!
                Scott Adie
                www.osgfx.com

Comment

Standing knee deep in a rice paddy 100 men line abreast somewhere south of Chu Lai, temp 100 plus the when an USMC L-19 spotter came across our front 50' out, 50' up, tossing out hot Budwisers wrapped in Leatherneck magazines. They hit the water surface at about 90mph. We popped them and shot them to one another.

Riding the F-4B Phantom down a mountainside, 60 degrees in to the drop point, 9G's out, Mountain below, mountain above, mountain in front. Put a big pothole in the Ho Chi Minh Trail that day.
                  Mystical Power

Comment

Originally posted by Race#21
                    Standing knee deep in a rice paddy 100 men line abreast somewhere south of Chu Lai, temp 100 plus the when an USMC L-19 spotter came across our front 50' out, 50' up, tossing out hot Budwisers wrapped in Leatherneck magazines. They hit the water surface at about 90mph. We popped them and shot them to one another.

Riding the F-4B Phantom down a mountainside, 60 degrees in to the drop point, 9G's out, Mountain below, mountain above, mountain in front. Put a big pothole in the Ho Chi Minh Trail that day.
                    Hey man thanks for your fine work. You may be one reason I'm still here. I worked interdiction, search and destroy with an M-60 on that stinking trail for my whole tour.
                    Scott Adie
                    www.osgfx.com

Comment

Thank you Scott!!!!!!! The M-60 was a heavy weapon to hump.You deserve my thanks. Semper Fi.
                      Mystical Power

Comment

My son entered a note about flying with me in the County Maul (M-4 rocket) and the County 182. I was very fortunate in the fact that I was the only licensed pilot with the Yavapai County Shetiffs office at the time we consficated the Maul. For 10 years I got to do what I loved most--- FLY. And I was paid for it. Too many interesting stories about flying all over the Western United states on extraditions and opertunities to take family members along.
                        Many memorable moments flyin with my son , father, brother and sister.
                        Loved it all and wouldn't trade any of it for any money in the world.

Comment

Working...
                        X