Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Hollywood Aviation scene of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Best Hollywood Aviation scene of all time?

Originally posted by speeddemon
    Yeah but the BEST part about the flying scenes in Dr. Strangelove, of course, is that they have a model of a BUFF 'flying', but the shadow on the ground beneath it is of a B-17. Must have been some kind of weather phenomena distorting the light or something.....
    When they realized they needed some "Polar" scenes, they rented a B-17 and criss-crossed Greenland and Iceland, shooting out the windows. In true hollywood (or in this case British) film tradition, the resulting film was projected back at a slower rate to "speed up" the flying.

I think most of my info came from the Collecters edition DVD that was released about three years ago. There's tons of bonus stuff about filming the movie. Another anecdote I read about is that Slim Pickens went through the first week of filming before he realized they were making a black comedy, not a straight drama. Don't know how valid that one is...

Comment

Here's something useless but interesting....the actor who played "Jim" from Empire of the Sun is Christian Bale...from "Batman Begins" and "American Psyco".

Comment

Originally posted by DPK2
        "OK, nobody mentioned this movie...........

The Defender.............the scene where Bob is trying to get the Defender off the ground on its first flight and Chris Ball, the trust helper, is chasing him around in the "chase car". "

The Defender is one of the all time greats! You have to include Chris Ball driving through the corn field peeking out of the mini tank while getting buzzed by Bob in the Mooney.

I need to get a new copy of the Defender, mine is worn out.
        David
        And that scene is what justified that to kill a slow moving tank you HAVE to have a slow moving aircraft. The F-18 would have been just too fast to kill a tank.

And Bob was using a V-tail Bonanza to chase Chris around in the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan
          And I did not know that the 3 pilots responsible for that great scene are no longer around...blue skies forever, gentlemen. And thank you.
          Hoof Proudfoot was killed in a P-38 at Duxford when he bottomed out during an aerobatic routine. Mark Hanna was killed in a Ha-1112 in Spain, I belive...engine quit on approach, crashed and burned. And papa Ray Hanna passed away two or three years ago, but I believe it was of natural causes.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
            Mark Hanna was killed in a Ha-1112 in Spain, I belive...engine quit on approach, crashed and burned.
            Not quite correct. The accident report was inconclusive as to the cause of the loss of control on finals, but engine failure was ruled out.

Ray died of a heart attack in December 2005. 6 weeks previously, he lead Cliff Spink in a scintillating 2-ship Spitfire aerobatic routine at Duxford. He was undoubtedly one of the finest warbird display pilots of the last 30 years.

Ray Hanna - the final touchdown.

Comment

Originally posted by h34race
              Ok who remembers the movie in the 80's when the two guys in pitts speicals I think cartwheeled or was it flipped ?? the plane threw the rock canyon both planes were white with rainbow stickers on the top wing real shawn tucker flying,Ringing any bells think I saw it on that's incredible the tv show

The movie dosn't ring any bells, but the description of the planes sound like Christian Eagles. Most of them were white with rainbow-colored "feathers' painted on, though the colors were on both wings AND the fuselage...

Perhaps it was the Christian Eagles stunt team you saw, although Mr. Tucker wasn't a member.

Aircraft Photos:

Comment

[QUOTE=MustangFan]when everything slows down and you see the Mustang rolling in...getting closer...Jim's eyes lock on the pilot..and just as he passes, he looks RIGHT AT THE KID and waves...

QUOTE]

I have heard or read opinions before that that scene doesn't REALLY happen....that its Jim's imagination that the pilot waves at him, because as soon as the pilot waves, the scene cuts back to the Mustang screaming past, canopy closed. Some people think that Jim is so enthralled (HORSEPOWER!) by what he is witnessing, that he hallucinates the pilot waving at him (hence the slow motion sequence) as it goes past.

Regardless, I'm with you.

Comment

Ray was the pilot for the close-up waving scene.

After working with Ray and Mark in 'Empire of the Sun', Spielberg requested them again for 'Saving Private Ryan' where they flew the scene near the end with the 2 P-51s flying over the Tiger Tank as Tom Hanks' character lay dying.

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention, one of my own pesonal favourites is the opening sequence of 'Always' with the PBY on the lake.

Comment

Well, that's an easy one for me- my personal favorite Hollywood aviation scene has been unchallenged since my first viewing as a very young kid:

The P-40 vs. Zero dogfight scene in 'GOD IS MY CO-PILOT', where Bob Scott (actor Dennis Morgan) can't shake 'Tokyo Joe' off his tail (who is gleefully converting Scott's Warhawk into a smoking collander). Scott saves himself from certain fiery doom by dumping his wing flaps - turning the tables by forcing his arch enemy's Mitsubishi to overshoot & fall victim to his six fifties. I know, pretty cliche'd, but I still get a kick out of it. (Read the book and watch the movie, if you haven't already).

My favorite runner-up has to be the scene in ALWAYS where Dreyfuss (A-26) saves Goodman's flaming Super Cat by dumping his borate load on him. Pretty preposterous, but sure gets the heart pumping! (love it when Holly Hunter gets pissed & plane-jacks the A-26 to buzz the field too!).

Buckmeister

Comment

War lover........ low low low passes in a B17 was done by david Tallichet i think ???

roger that, any one??

BMarsh

Comment

Not to hijack this thread but I used to manage a restuarant that David Tallachet owned and used to pick him up at SFO in his P 38 for company meetings. Really cool for a 200 hr private pilot wanna be.
                          Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
                            War lover........ low low low passes in a B17 was done by david Tallichet i think ???

roger that, any one??

BMarsh

Or was it Mantz?

BMarsh

Comment

Well is one I AM THE GREAT SANTINI

hey Brad several years ago at the NAG mettings we had in Palo Aloto Stony and Kathey Stonich. stoney brought his slides form Catch 22 he flew one of the B-25. Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Marsh

roger that, any one??

BMarsh
                                I haven't seen that one yet, but according to the cast and crew credits at the IMDB.COM website:

Gregory R. Board .... pilot: B-17 (uncredited)
                                Martin Caidin .... pilot: B-17 (uncredited)
                                Captain John Crewdson .... pilot: B-17 (uncredited)
                                Captain John Crewdson .... aerial sequences

link:
                                The War Lover (1962) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more.

Comment

Working...
                                X