Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Hollywood Aviation scene of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Hollywood Aviation scene of all time?

Originally posted by "Bear" Driver
    No doubt, the best Hollywood scene of all time was in the movie "The Great Waldo Pepper", when Susan Sarandon fell off the wing of Waldo's JN4 Jenny......(too bad it wasn't for real).......
    BUT...IT WASN'T A JENNY!!! Man, don't you know a J1 Standard when you see one?

Gotcha...lol

Comment

SAC B36 movie..... Strewart and Allison

The take off.... shaking the whole house of Jimmy and June!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been there done that..... living next to SFO.... wttching a B36 doing touch and goes 4 or 5 times.... I was 11 years old.

And YES the wierd "moaning, wounded black bear" motor sounds are for real.

is it the corn cob exhaust manifold harmonic sounds

A very young Billy Marsh becoming a fly boy for the rest of my life
      during the 2 hour event.

BMarsh

Comment

Mark Hanna in the opening sequence of 'Tomorrow Never Dies' in the L-39.

Comment

Ok who remembers the movie in the 80's when the two guys in pitts speicals I think cartwheeled or was it flipped ?? the plane threw the rock canyon both planes were white with rainbow stickers on the top wing real shawn tucker flying,Ringing any bells think I saw it on that's incredible the tv show

Comment

The docking sequence of the Pan Am shuttle in 2001, was pretty cool for its time.
            Mother Lode, great flying sequence, impressive real crash, crappy movie...

Wayne, I'm with you on Whirlybirds. "Longwood field, helicopter 38-Bravo..."

me, Paul

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
              I tell you, man....when Jim 'holds himself' in disbelief...it literally brings tears to my eyes. One of the most emotional scenes ever put on film.
              wow, speed, thanks for the link,,,I'd forgotten about that scene completely. Just got a little emotional here myself. Or maybe its because my tower PC is finally back up and running and I can get back into my image files after three weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan
                And for you Dr. Strangelove fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueuauKKjPZI
                I still can't believe thats the future voice of Darth Vader navigating the bomber.

Another interesting tidbit about the movie is that the cockpit shots are all mockups, of course, but the set designers had NO IDEA what the inside of a B-52 looked like - and they were not permitted access to one by the USAF. They had to use open source publications and educated guesswork to design the interiors. A pretty good job, if you ask me.

Comment

Ok heres one I saw live and in person. Witch is better then any hollywood flic.

The second shuttle landing at Edwards AFB, they did a fly by of the 747 with the Columbia running piggyback. Now that in its selft is cool. But what made it even better, was the pilot of the 747 was accualy flying very slow, very low and very strait down the runway, and in a bank with the top of the shuttle in full view!

if that dont make your you eyes go Nothing will!

Comment

Final Countdown F-14s vs Zeros
                    Tony

Comment

• Re: Best Hollywood Aviation scene of all time?

KOYAANISQATSI- Camera mounted on the tail of of the B-1 as it skims the desert
                      "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

"OK, nobody mentioned this movie...........

The Defender.............the scene where Bob is trying to get the Defender off the ground on its first flight and Chris Ball, the trust helper, is chasing him around in the "chase car". "

The Defender is one of the all time greats! You have to include Chris Ball driving through the corn field peeking out of the mini tank while getting buzzed by Bob in the Mooney.

I need to get a new copy of the Defender, mine is worn out.

David

Comment

Originally posted by fenceliner01
                          I still can't believe thats the future voice of Darth Vader navigating the bomber.

Another interesting tidbit about the movie is that the cockpit shots are all mockups, of course, but the set designers had NO IDEA what the inside of a B-52 looked like - and they were not permitted access to one by the USAF. They had to use open source publications and educated guesswork to design the interiors. A pretty good job, if you ask me.
                          Yeah but the BEST part about the flying scenes in Dr. Strangelove, of course, is that they have a model of a BUFF 'flying', but the shadow on the ground beneath it is of a B-17. Must have been some kind of weather phenomena distorting the light or something.....

Comment

Okay, I know it's all fake, but in Stealth when he goes into a dive to drop the bomb in the beginning, and when he pulls up and is skimming the traffic and everything is all blurry. It's kinda fun to dream now and then.
                            That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full...

Comment

The War Lover -- I was disappointed to find only one mention. This is a must see for the low-level B-17 shots. Who was that pilot?
                              If I remember it was either Greg Board or John Crewdson. I no longer have the book "Everything but the Flak" by Martin Caidin, which is about the resurrection of the planes, the flight to England and the filming.
                              My copy of the movie has the buzzing scenes shortened and sped up, disappointing, since I have seen the "unedited for TV" version.
                              There's actually more footage in this film than in 12 O Clock High.
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                                1. Take-off scene in Catch-22. 17 planes, staggered with wings overlapped, 100 feet apart. They did the scene 6 times to get it 'just right' for the cameras. If ONE PLANE had had to abort the takeoff, just imagine the results.
                                Here's a little tidbit of useless trivia. Of the 18 B-25's used in Catch-22, only 6 are left flying on the warbird circuit today (Pacific Princess, Heavenly Body, Executive Sweet, How Boot That?, Briefing Time, and Pacific Prowler). 8 airframes are on static display/restoration in various museums in the United States and Europe. One airframe is in storage in Florida. And three airframes have been destroyed.

Comment

Working...
                                X