Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Hollywood Aviation scene of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Hollywood Aviation scene of all time?

Originally posted by chixfly2
    A loud, explosive, resounding noise produced by the explosive expansion of air heated by a lightning discharge over the "The Biggest Little City in the World" , but that's not important right now.

toetappyguy
    Surely, you can't be serious?...

My favorite scenes:

The scene in TORA TORA TORA when the flight instructor in the biplane suddenly realizes that she is in the middle of a squadron of warplanes with Japanese markings (priceless).

The moment in Cloud Dancer when the P-51 first appears by suddenly popping up into view from behind a cliff or whatever (gives me chills up the spine every time!).

The first time the jet airliner in "Airplane" appears on screen in flight, sounding like a 4-propeller bomber from an old WWII movie.

The opening credits in "Top Gun" when slow music is being played while everyone on the carrier is going about their duties preparing to launch aircraft, then as an F-14 on the cat spools up, lights the burners and launches, "Danger Zone" starts playing (it's the only time I ever enjoy hearing that song).

Not sure, but I think it was in "Hooper" when the guys are flying drunk in a Maule or some other STOL high-winger, realize they are out of booze, and make a steep dive to a landing on a small town main street and "drive" up to the front of a small store to restock. The incredibly steep take-off afterwards is notable too (I could SWEAR that it appears that the plane is about to stall and fall back to Earth when the scene cuts away).

The biplane scene in "Three Amigos" with Martin Short piloting and Chevy Chase/Steve Martin lying on the lower wing hanging on for dear life, as the plane wildly gyrates and hops across the desert at extremely low altitude (the plane was actually flown by the late Jim Franklin I believe).

Comment

A loud, explosive, resounding noise produced by the explosive expansion of air heated by a lightning discharge over the "The Biggest Little City in the World" , but that's not important right now.

toetappyguy
      Surely, you can't be serious?...

My favorite scenes:

The scene in TORA TORA TORA when the flight instructor in the biplane suddenly realizes that she is in the middle of a squadron of warplanes with Japanese markings (priceless).

The moment in Cloud Dancer when the P-51 first appears by suddenly popping up into view from behind a cliff or whatever (gives me chills up the spine every time!).

The first time the jet airliner in "Airplane" appears on screen in flight, sounding like a 4-propeller bomber from an old WWII movie.

The opening credits in "Top Gun" when slow music is being played while everyone on the carrier is going about their duties preparing to launch aircraft, then as an F-14 on the cat spools up, lights the burners and launches, "Danger Zone" starts playing (it's the only time I ever enjoy hearing that song).

Not sure, but I think it was in "Hooper" when the guys are flying drunk in a Maule or some other STOL high-winger, realize they are out of booze, and make a steep dive to a landing on a small town main street and "drive" up to the front of a small store to restock. The incredibly steep take-off afterwards is notable too (I could SWEAR that it appears that the plane is about to stall and fall back to Earth when the scene cuts away).

The biplane scene in "Three Amigos" with Martin Short piloting (not really) and Chevy Chase/Steve Martin lying on the lower wing hanging on for dear life, as the plane wildly gyrates and hops across the desert at extremely low altitude (the plane was actually flown by the late Jim Franklin I believe).

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan
        Found it. P-51 scene from "Empire of the Sun":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip0NdbGtlYM

I tell you, man....when Jim 'holds himself' in disbelief...it literally brings tears to my eyes. One of the most emotional scenes ever put on film.

Comment

"P-51, Cadillac of the skies!"

A great piece of film.

Sadly, none of the 3 P-51 pilots involved survive.

Ray, Mark and Hoof, RIP.

Comment

I must say that the movie Airplane proly has the best lines of ANY Holywood airplane movie.

Then again, any scean in Jet Pilot with a F-86 and John Wayne in it... Only cuz it is REALY my grandfather flying for John Wayne.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
              If I ever have time to dig them out I have a stack of shots of the remaining B-25's (including some in the Milo Minderbinder scheme) parked in a field at Chino Airport in 1974.
              Please dig em out...

T J

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan
                Found it. P-51 scene from "Empire of the Sun":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip0NdbGtlYM

Gave me a little mohogany
                That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full...

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                  I tell you, man....when Jim 'holds himself' in disbelief...it literally brings tears to my eyes. One of the most emotional scenes ever put on film.
                  Brad - I get the same reaction almost every time I watch that scene...except for me, it's when everything slows down and you see the Mustang rolling in...getting closer...Jim's eyes lock on the pilot..and just as he passes, he looks RIGHT AT THE KID and waves...

Gets to me every time; and I've seen that movie more times than I can count.

And I did not know that the 3 pilots responsible for that great scene are no longer around...blue skies forever, gentlemen. And thank you.
                  Mark Johnson
                  Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

And for you Dr. Strangelove fans:

Major Kong riding on atomic bomb from the movie `Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb' by Stanley Kubrick
                    Mark Johnson
                    Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

So nice, he said it thrice.

????

How did that happen? #3 is my lucky number, but.....

Comment

How about Tuskegee airman with Dan Martin and gang flying there P-51's along with some AT-6's and Stearmans

Comment

Wow! What a listing of favorites to read through.
                          Empire of the Sun -- Definitely tops.
                          The War Lover -- I was disappointed to find only one mention. This is a must see for the low-level B-17 shots. Who was that pilot?
                          633 Squadron -- I did not see any previous mentions of this movie, from which I have loved the Mosquito ever since. Granted, there are some cheesy scenes, but there are also some beautiful shots of the Mosquito accompanied by stirring music, not to mention the sound of the Merlins.

Comment

Originally posted by Propellerhead
                            I love you guys!
                            You guys have been watching Bill O'Rielly's coverage of last weekend's peace rally in DC! Hanoi Jane was just a little evasive...

And I'm afraid that June Allison has slipped the surly bonds of her Depends for the last time... But those B-36 contrail scenes, and the formation takeoff shot as the gear comes up -- jeez!
                            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                            World Speed Record Holder

Comment

OK, nobody mentioned this movie...........

The Defender.............the scene where Bob is trying to get the Defender off the ground on its first flight and Chris Ball, the trust helper, is chasing him around in the "chase car".

Oh, and there is the Wall-to-Wall carpeted swimming pool in the living room.

And finally the last scene where Bob is explaining to Chris the new version of the Defender that will have a perminently inflated air-bag in the nose so that when it hits a mountain it will just bounce off and the pilot will be ok.

Comment

ok Corkie Fornorf in Octopussy flying the BD5 Shawn

Comment

Working...
                                X