Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Hollywood Aviation scene of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Hollywood Aviation scene of all time?

I can play that game too:

BTW...photo courtesy of Paramount Pictures.
    Attached Files

Comment

If I ever have time to dig them out I have a stack of shots of the remaining B-25's (including some in the Milo Minderbinder scheme) parked in a field at Chino Airport in 1974.
      The sequence starts in Catch-22 with the sunrise and the birds calling, followed by the inertial starter and the engine start. AWESOME!
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
        If I ever have time to dig them out I have a stack of shots of the remaining B-25's (including some in the Milo Minderbinder scheme) parked in a field at Chino Airport in 1974.
        The sequence starts in Catch-22 with the sunrise and the birds calling, followed by the inertial starter and the engine start. AWESOME!

I can play the first 10 minutes of that movie over and over and over again, and never get tired of it.

Because of the way the runway was built by the movie company (perpindicular to the beachline, bordered on the far end by a mountain), they had to land one way and take off the other way. But the layout of the runway meant that there was literally a 90 degree crosswind ALL THE TIME. I've heard that some of the scenes were done in 20 knot, 90 degree crosswinds...and that is why there is a lot of 'wing down' in the shots.

Comment

Originally posted by fenceliner01
          Rare Bear takeoff in Thunder over Reno Trailer!

(couldn't resist!)
          CRAP!!! Am I the only one here who hasn't seen it?!?! Who do I have to strangle to get someone to tell me where to see it?!?!? It's not on the website or on IMDB.com. I'm jones'in here fellas!

Back to the subject at hand, How about the cessna and the dirtbike racing in Iron Eagle???
          That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full...

Comment

Some of the B-25 shots in Forever Young were pretty cool!
            Clay Lacy's purple mustang in Magnum P.I.
            Hey Boyington!!!!
            Wild Bill Kelso
            and agree... Tim Matheson trying to get laid in the B-17 was classic...inspired me to take many dates to the airport! LOL!
            The auto pilot getting a hummer in AIRPLANE, ranks up there as well!
            The TBM's and B-25's in the opening of Smokey and the Bandit 2 ...I'm never leaving you daddy.....don't you EVER threaten your daddy like that again!

Comment

Personally, I love the final "rescue" scene of Flight of the Intruder with the low Skyraider passes by Jay Cullum and Steve Hinton.

Comment

I would have to say that probably the prettiest scenes are of the B-36, at altitude, contrailing, flying between the clouds while the music plays in Startegic Air Command.
                There are a few similiar with the B-47. Not long but just plain beautiful.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
                  Thunder Over Reno? What's that?
                  It's a movie that...will be really neat when it gets released! Thats what I've heard anyways.

Comment

How about the "Sam City" scene in Flight of the Intruder?

"You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares, and go DOWNTOWN!!"

Classic..
                    Mark Johnson
                    Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by RGRSTNDGBY
                      If Im allowed another, ... the Spitfire flying under the old Country Stone bridge in "Piece of Cake"..Not a "Hollywood" movie, British tv as I recall.. Great "movie" tho.
                      Never saw the TV show, but Piece of Cake is one of the best aviation novels ever. Highly recommended.
                      No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                      http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Found it. P-51 scene from "Empire of the Sun":

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                        Mark Johnson
                        Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

B-17 shots from the Memphis Belle
                          p-38 scenes from A Guy Named Joe

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan
                            Found it. P-51 scene from "Empire of the Sun":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip0NdbGtlYM

Cadillac of the Sky...... For sure!!
                            http://www.kevineldredge.com
                            http://www.myairport.com
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
                              A loud, explosive, resounding noise produced by the explosive expansion of air heated by a lightning discharge over the "The Biggest Little City in the World" , but that's not important right now.

toetappyguy
                              Surely, you can't be serious?...

My favorite scenes:

The scene in TORA TORA TORA when the flight instructor in the biplane suddenly realizes that she is in the middle of a squadron of warplanes with Japanese markings (priceless).

The moment in Cloud Dancer when the P-51 first appears by suddenly popping up into view from behind a cliff or whatever (gives me chills up the spine every time!).

The first time the jet airliner in "Airplane" appears on screen in flight, sounding like a 4-propeller bomber from an old WWII movie.

The opening credits in "Top Gun" when slow music is being played while everyone on the carrier is going about their duties preparing to launch aircraft, then as an F-14 on the cat spools up, lights the burners and launches, "Danger Zone" starts playing (it's the only time I ever enjoy hearing that song).

Not sure, but I think it was in "Hooper" when the guys are flying along in a Maule or some other STOL high-winger, realize they are out of booze, and make a steep dive to a landing on a small town main street and "drive" up to the front of a small store to restock. The incredibly steep take-off afterwards is notable too (I could SWEAR that it appears that the plane is about to stall and fall back to Earth when the scene cuts away).

The biplane scene in "Three Amigos" with Martin Short piloting and Chevy Chase/Steve Martin lying on the lower wing hanging on for dear life, as the plane wildly gyrates and hops across the desert at extremely low altitude (the plane was actually flown by the late Jim Franklin I believe).

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                                Kevin. KEVIN. The crash must have knocked your noggin. I said NO CGI.........

http://www.kevineldredge.com
                                http://www.myairport.com
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X