Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben Hall's T-6 #7

Default Re: Ben Hall's T-6 #7

If I remember Ben had a second F86A (not flyable), what ever happened to it?
    One of the highlights of the years after Ben gave up racing was his
    annual tour of the pits via golf cart to say hi, and visit with the many crews that looked froward to spending time with him.

Quote Originally Posted by jarrodeu
    What book?

Jarrod
    Hacker is finishing up a spectacular (and no, I'm not just being biased...everyone who's read what he's got is VERY impressed) book about the Cavalier Mustangs (Trans Florida Aviation, Cavalier, Peace Pony, Enforcer, etc.). He has gotten exceptional participation from the Lindsay family, as well as people who worked first hand on the various programs, test pilots, etc.

One of the highlights (at least as far as everyone who's seen the script is concerned) is the never-before-told story of the Mustang 'mercenaries' that went down to Nicaragua for the Soccer War in '69. Now, there has been material written about it before...but much if no most of it was speculation. This is right from the horses mouth. Ben Hall, Bob Love, and Chuck Lyford were three of the five mercenaries hired...and the three of them made up one of the 'squadrons'. Love, obviously, is gone and can't share...but this is the first time Lyford and Hall have openly discussed what REALLY went on, and the story is fascinating. Until now, there were (and really still ARE) too many people who want to exact some revenge on these guys, so they have been reluctant to discuss it in public.

Lyford and Hall also contributed 'personal' photos from their collections for the book. REally good stuff.

It will be well worth the wait.

I seem to rember Ben talking of a rock he had on his mantle that he pulled out of the leading edge of his P51 after a "low mission"! Looking
    foreword to the book.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon
    Hacker is finishing up a spectacular (and no, I'm not just being biased...everyone who's read what he's got is VERY impressed) book about the Cavalier Mustangs (Trans Florida Aviation, Cavalier, Peace Pony, Enforcer, etc.). He has gotten exceptional participation from the Lindsay family, as well as people who worked first hand on the various programs, test pilots, etc.
    Can't wait to read it

Quote Originally Posted by Warren_C
    Can't wait to read it
    Yeah, you've seen it Warren. What do you think? Your father is playing a good role in his research.

Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon
    Yeah, you've seen it Warren. What do you think? Your father is playing a good role in his research.
    I think this is going to be a great book, Hacker has covered alot of ground, most of this stuff has never been published. The readers will benefit from the factual infomation provided by many of the principles, whom are still around. While, speed outed my little inside joke, Yes I have read the manuscript, and even contributed a small part by helping gather more data and perform tech edits for the PA-48 sections. I know the pictures that we're going to provide have never been published. In fact I just sent Hacker the latest edited version.

Of all threads to hijack, a T-6 thread.

So to returning to T6s, which, is the fastest Harvard to run at Reno?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren_C
    IOf all threads to hijack, a T-6 thread.

So to returning to T6s, which, is the fastest Harvard to run at Reno?
    C'mon...who cares? Nobody REALLY likes T-6's anyhow....

Now, if they'd bring back the racehorse starts for the class again, and run them on the F-1/Bipe course....THAT would be an eye-opener.

Would anyone have a color photo of the blue #47?

T J

I'm bumping this thread because I want to know if the Cavalier book was ever completed and what was it titled?
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers