Ben Hall's T-6 #7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Hall's T-6 #7

I just found this photo of Ben Hall's T-6 racer on the net. I have however a feeling of having seen a photo somewhere of two T-6s painted in the same scheme as this one, only the other one was blueish. Am I totally off here, or was there actually two similarly painted racers in the early 70s?

T J

Re: Ben Hall's T-6 #7

If I remember right, Ben had two. One red, one blue. The blue one crashed into a hillside while returning from Reno in 1971, killing Rad Klastinovic (?).

Comment

Rod Kostelnik #47

re: "6 Killer Too" N203V (named in honor of Sonny Sixkiller, the Washington Huskie quarterback)
      The Texan, Harvard & SNJ Registry follows the history of all the Texans, Harvards & SNJs that survived military service.
      Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
      RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Originally posted by RandyGoss75
        Rod Kostelnik #47

re: "6 Killer Too" N203V (named in honor of Sonny Sixkiller, the Washington Huskie quarterback)
        http://www.warbirdregistry.org/texan...-rcaf2784.html

Oh you just think you're so smart there, don't you.....

Geek. :-)

Comment

is that the same Ben Hall who had the F-86 that came to Reno in 1980 who was sposored by ABC WIde World of Sports Shawn

Comment

just remember there was a picture of both of those T-6 in the PRPA pictoral if any one has one Shawn

Comment

According to the accident report exhaust fumes seeped into the cockpit intoxicating the occupants. Now talk about rotten luck! If anyone has got any photos of the blue one it would be cool to see. What publication are you refering to Shawn?

T J

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
                is that the same Ben Hall who had the F-86 that came to Reno in 1980 who was sposored by ABC WIde World of Sports Shawn
                Yup, same one. Hacker and I had the privilege of spending a wonderful afternoon/evening with Ben over at Lyfords house last summer. Ben brought his scrapbook that documented the rebuilding and restoration of that F-86 (as well as his 'racing' scrapbook that had stuff on the Mustang AND the T-6 racers). It was an F-86A...so rare that Bob Love refused to fly it. I think it is over at Duxford these days.

Ben, unfortunately, has Alzheimers, so a lot of his 'stories' are long gone...but it was still fun getting him together with CAIII and logging some hangar flying and reminiscing about the Soccer War.

When Hacker gets his book published next year, a lot of the stories shared that day will be in there.

Comment

the professional Race pilots assocition pictoral it came out during the early 70's Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                    When Hacker gets his book published next year, a lot of the stories shared that day will be in there.
                    What book?

Jarrod

Comment

If I remember Ben had a second F86A (not flyable), what ever happened to it?
                      One of the highlights of the years after Ben gave up racing was his
                      annual tour of the pits via golf cart to say hi, and visit with the many crews that looked froward to spending time with him.

Comment

The North American F-86 Sabre registry follows the history of all F-86s that survived military service.

The North American F-86 Sabre registry follows the history of all F-86s that survived military service.
                        Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                        RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
                          What book?

Jarrod
                          Hacker is finishing up a spectacular (and no, I'm not just being biased...everyone who's read what he's got is VERY impressed) book about the Cavalier Mustangs (Trans Florida Aviation, Cavalier, Peace Pony, Enforcer, etc.). He has gotten exceptional participation from the Lindsay family, as well as people who worked first hand on the various programs, test pilots, etc.

One of the highlights (at least as far as everyone who's seen the script is concerned) is the never-before-told story of the Mustang 'mercenaries' that went down to Nicaragua for the Soccer War in '69. Now, there has been material written about it before...but much if no most of it was speculation. This is right from the horses mouth. Ben Hall, Bob Love, and Chuck Lyford were three of the five mercenaries hired...and the three of them made up one of the 'squadrons'. Love, obviously, is gone and can't share...but this is the first time Lyford and Hall have openly discussed what REALLY went on, and the story is fascinating. Until now, there were (and really still ARE) too many people who want to exact some revenge on these guys, so they have been reluctant to discuss it in public.

Lyford and Hall also contributed 'personal' photos from their collections for the book. REally good stuff.

It will be well worth the wait.

Comment

I seem to rember Ben talking of a rock he had on his mantle that he pulled out of the leading edge of his P51 after a "low mission"! Looking
                            foreword to the book.
                            Don

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                              Hacker is finishing up a spectacular (and no, I'm not just being biased...everyone who's read what he's got is VERY impressed) book about the Cavalier Mustangs (Trans Florida Aviation, Cavalier, Peace Pony, Enforcer, etc.). He has gotten exceptional participation from the Lindsay family, as well as people who worked first hand on the various programs, test pilots, etc.
                              Can't wait to read it

Comment

Working...
                              X