Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Air Racing classics moments by Shawn

Originally posted by speeddemon
    No thanks on the beer...but you CAN make a donation in my name to the Randy Goss Hospital for the Air Racing Insane in Sacramento, California.

Do I make that directly to RG?

sounds like it's medication time

Comment

Originally posted by Jim58
      I gotta put up my .02.... MR BCIV....Mr. Speed You two guys put up the best and most interesting posts.... never a dull moment.

I feel like I should be paying for the entertainment.

Could I offer you a Beer?

Thanks.....Jim
      Jim58,

Thanks sometimes it's just really cool to download the memory banks with some great memories. This sport is where I grew up, so fortunately for me I saw a lot of that history being made, and met most of the people that made it. It's been fun.
      John Slack

Comment

For all the negative recollections of Jerry Duty being posted, it should be noted that Reno would long ago have become just another airshow if not for Jerry. The old PRPA/USARA pilot/owner organization was rapidly imploding in 1976, becoming completely dysfunctional by 1977. RARA cut off negotiations with USARA and was about to announce an airshow only format with the Snowbirds, the CAF Tora! Tora! Tora! reenactment, etc. Jerry was able to persuade the RARA board (after much arm twisting) to bypass USARA and negotiate directly with the individual classes and continue with the Air Races. Many people do not realize how close the Reno Air Races came to extinction at that time.

The phrase "My Way or the Highway" took on new meaning with Jerry. He was the air race dictator, and was not someone to be crossed. He was eventually ousted as race director in 1980.

The infamous photographer Bruce Treadway used to put together a spoof PRPA newsletter, the "PRPA Nudeletter" that was mostly pictures of pilots, aircraft and others involved in the sport with funny captions. One issue has a picture of Jerry Duty pointing at something, with the caption "expletive deleted". I laugh every time I see that picture, it summed up Jerry perfectly.

Comment

I think that was the article that David Esler wrote...where he compared the '74 races to Kurt Vonnegut's novel "Slaughterhouse Five", wasn't it?
          Yes it was! Hilarious.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

some were i have copies of the nude newsletter Shawn

Comment

No thanks on the beer...but you CAN make a donation in my name to the Randy Goss Hospital for the Air Racing Insane in Sacramento, California.
              THANKS BRAD! What about me? I could use some beer too ya know.
              Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
                THANKS BRAD! What about me? I could use some beer too ya know.

Dude, I think you still have beer over in my fridge........what are YOU complaining about???

Comment

Wow that brings back memories, I saw that car too. And was it in 1978 when they kept announcing about a car that was parked in the wrong place and they would have it towed, and finally a helicopter picks it up and drops it from about 1000'

Comment

Dude, I think you still have beer over in my fridge........what are YOU complaining about???
                    Well THAT doesn't do me a damn bit of good now, does it?
                    Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Working...
                    X