Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: aro archives part 2 corsair big hummer

Wings Over The Rockies Air and Space Museum

- home to over three dozen historic airplanes and space vehicles.

Highlights of the collection include:

a Star Wars X-Wing fighter,....

Heh-heh. I'd like to see them try to get THAT to make a few pylon laps...

Comment

I hit the museum Website - I went to AF tech school at Lowry 1977 - My dorm room was right across the street from those hangars. I could look out each night at them and a TF-102 on static display.

Comment

It was always an R-2800 but the -3350 (and even some R-4360) early season rumors in 1972 had spread pretty wide. I remember standing right in front of the cowl on Friday in '72 and having seasoned fans telling some of us first-year-out-types that it was indeed a -3350. Somebody on the crew a few minutes later chuckled and winked as the "experts" walked away and said, "No boys it's just an R-2800 but let 'em spread the word all they want."

I'd have given Bob the credit for an extra 550 cubes just for his one arm handicap. Imagine if Pat Palmer (one eye) would have ever gotten his #99 big-engine Corsair built. We would have had an interesting little rivalry there with their respective handicaps and their T-6 racing successes.

The FG-1D, N194G, got a pretty severe wing clip job after the 1972 season and reports say it never flew again after that. Bob died under tragic circumstances not long after.

Comment

Originally posted by fenceliner01
          I hit the museum Website - I went to AF tech school at Lowry 1977 - My dorm room was right across the street from those hangars.
          I too went to tech school at Lowry... though I went a little later, 1992. I do have one thing I have "up" on you fenceliner01, my school WAS in those hangers. A little odd to see it's a museum now
          Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
          My Photos
          My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell
            Imagine if Pat Palmer (one eye) would have ever gotten his #99 big-engine Corsair built. We would have had an interesting little rivalry there with their respective handicaps and their T-6 racing successes.
            That airframe sat around in Pat and Jim's hangar for many years after they got out of the T-6 business. Eventually, Jim restored it as "Big Hog". After Jim died in a parachuting accident, the plane got passed around. It was in Europe the last time I heard anything about it. But if you ever looked at it up close, it was the slickest airframe you EVER SAW. I mean it was flush rivited and filled s-m-o-o-t-h. Fastest 'stock' warbird you'll ever see!

Comment

Here is a view #94 in 1967. Enjoy
              Attached Files

Comment

ex "Gotcha" Corsair:

The warbird registry is source of information documenting all aircraft used by the worlds military that managed to survive that service.

Lowell, Don't you have a drawing of the paint scheme they were going to race with?
                Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Originally posted by Reno64
                  Here is a view #94 in 1967. Enjoy
                  Nice! AFTER the blown engine......

Comment

Wayne,

Would it be okay to scan and post a cropped artist's image and caption stolen from Air Classics Warbird Report from around the 1975-1979 era? Most of the AC WR stuff was mailed in for publishing anyway. (I'm still waiting for some RARE negatives I sent MOL in trust of return with SASE that he used there in 1974.)

I can dig it out and do that if so.

Lowell

Comment

Lowell, that would violate copyright laws so.. sorry. No....

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Here's another one from 67. I've got one on final somewhere with the smoke pouring out. 67 was my first Reno.

This is my first post so I hope I do it right.

Sully
                        Last edited by Sully; 09-25-2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Kudos on the Big Hummer pics, guys....

I was unaware that the wingtips were clipped for the aborted attempt at the '67 races.

See? You CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

Comment

is this the paint scheme you are talking about...I think this covers the gammet on this from 67 to what could have been to where it is now in that museum somewhere
                            Attached Files

Comment

That is the basic AC published side view of #99 but understand these (#99 & #94) are entirely different airplanes. AC showed the top view as well with a wing paint I really liked. I told Randy lsat night that the checkers might have looked better on the nose and a GOTCHA type font 99 on the tail. I'll have to do an artist conception of a race with that and a few other never-showed woulda-coulda-shoulda Unlimiteds in a pylon battle one day.

Also, and I may be wrong but I think the stinger in 1972 had a modified look to it and not seen in these views. Wasn't there also wing tip plates at least one year?

After 1972 the wings got the severe Charlie Tucker-type treatment I heard. Never raced and maybe never flown again.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                                Kudos on the Big Hummer pics, guys....

I was unaware that the wingtips were clipped for the aborted attempt at the '67 races.

See? You CAN teach an old dog new tricks.
                                Ah HA!!! I knew this day would come. Time to mark the calendar.

Jarrod

Comment

Working...
                                X