• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aro archives part 2 corsair big hummer

enjoy form Shawn
    Attached Files

Re: aro archives part 2 corsair big hummer

Wow, that's like '71, I think.

At the time it seemed like a pretty cool 'modified' Corsair. In retrospect, it was pretty darn rough. Other than the down-draft carb intake and the Skyraider prop, it was pretty much stock. He did have the very tips of the wings clipped...and I think in '72 they put a modified tail stinger on it. Other than that, it was never really as serious a contender as we all hoped it would become.

Mitchum sort of disappeared after that. Last I heard, the plane is still in storage in Colorado.

Comment

Did "Big Hummer" have a 4360 on the business end?

If the plane really is in storage, would someone please {big Christmas wish } turn Big Hummer into the second coming of the Super Corsair? I've been in mourning since 1995. We need another hot-rod Corsair rounding the Pylons in the Gold race

Comment

Originally posted by KB Adkins
        Did "Big Hummer" have a 4360 on the business end?

If the plane really is in storage, would someone please {big Christmas wish } turn Big Hummer into the second coming of the Super Corsair? I've been in mourning since 1995. We need another hot-rod Corsair rounding the Pylons in the Gold race
        Nope. It was just an R-2800 up front. Like I said...pretty much stock except for the prop up front.

Comment

Okay, thanks! Still would be nice to see another Corsair out on the course, even if it's racing in the Bronze!

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
            Last I heard, the plane is still in storage in Colorado.
            Where?

Jarrod

Comment

The warbird registry is source of information documenting all aircraft used by the worlds military that managed to survive that service.
              Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
              RIP 03/17/10

Comment

I could be way off base here, but I'm gonna say that the Warbird Registry thing is wrong about it being re-engined with a -3350. I'm pretty sure it only had a -2800 on it.

Comment

Geek
                  Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                  RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Brad its 72 Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by RandyGoss75
                      Geek
                      Oh yeah, I notice you toss that in, but you don't support or correct me on the 2800/3350 thing. Thanks a lot man. Mom always DID like you best....

BTW...OBR was out at Duxford yesterday. Said it was like a warbird geeks wet dream.

Putz didn't bring his camera.......

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                        I could be way off base here, but I'm gonna say that the Warbird Registry thing is wrong about it being re-engined with a -3350. I'm pretty sure it only had a -2800 on it.

Well, the cowling looks stock, or the same size as stock. A 3350 will not fit in a 2800 cowling.

If you look at the pictures on Wings Over The Rockies Museum that ain't a 3350.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper
                          Well, the cowling looks stock, or the same size as stock. A 3350 will not fit in a 2800 cowling.

If you look at the pictures on Wings Over The Rockies Museum that ain't a 3350.

But then again, if you look at the picture that Shawn posted that could be a 3350.

The pictures of it at Wings Over The Rockies Museum its a totally different cowling and exhaust on it now.

Comment

I will be in Denver next weekend and if I can get time to make it to the museum, I'll get some curretnt pics for ya'll.

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
                              You should dis-own him...!!!!
                              According to "the Dad" they mutually disowned each other, retroactively to birth... but ya can still feel the love can't ya!!

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X