Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Revisiting Merlin's Magic Accident

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
    When dealing with big machines, or high pressure, or high voltage, or really heavy objects... sometimes bad things happen even if every procedure is followed to the letter and even if you have the safety mechanisms in place.
    There's no question you're right about risk, no matter what procedures are in place and even if we follow them to the letter, stuff happens. The only real way to eliminate it is to eliminate us . . . and I personally, am not for that!
    Scott Adie
    www.osgfx.com

Comment

In the consumer products world, you can pretty much figure that every warning label and safety device was the direct result of a brain fart followed up by a lawyer.
      Sky Critter

Comment

IM<HO, the only rational and safe alternatives are to use high pressure bottles to fill high pressure systems and low pressure bottles to fill low pressure systems.

Light weight, high pressure Kevlar bottles are cheap, available, and easily withstand the G's. If some aircraft must have low pressure systems, let them fill from low pressure bottles. The flaw here was connecting a 3000 psi cart to a 500 psi bottle virtually inviting operator error. Everyone here knows my ego and some even know my skills, and I can guarentee that anyone trying to regulate this situation will eventually blow the bottle.

What I find funny is that the high pressure that some people think is so dangerous is the same pressure used by every diver and welder. They both tend to bang things around pretty badly. While we have all heard of the guy who heard of the accident that killed dozens and destroyed whole city blocks, accidents with high pressure systems are so rare that I can't even find a reference to the last one.

Use a high pressure system. Why NOT???
        Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Working...
        X