Revisiting Merlin's Magic Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Revisiting Merlin's Magic Accident

To me, one of the most alarming thing about about this accident was how many people (spectators not associated with a team) were around that could have been hurt. If I remember correctly the accident occured after the pit gates were open to the public. I think a possible lesson learned here would be to require potentialy hazardous servicing be completed before/after the pits are open to the public. If servicing is required after the gates are open then servicing should be accomplished in an area away from spectators.

Comment

<<<The system on Race 22 was rated for 500 psi and failed at 600 psi.>>>

How do you know this? Who specifically did you get this info from?
      This does not jive with my rusty recollection of a discussion I had with Stu after we had trouble with a bottle on #10.

TJ Dwelle

Comment

Yes, relief valves can be installed.
        I have done it personally on low pressure bottle installations.
        We are only talking about ounces, not a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
          So for things you are doing in life critical situations, read, study, learn. It's simple, thoroughly know what you are doing it's the best idea. If you don't know then ask.
          This is some of the best advice I have seen here.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade
            To me, one of the most alarming thing about about this accident was how many people (spectators not associated with a team) were around that could have been hurt. If I remember correctly the accident occured after the pit gates were open to the public. I think a possible lesson learned here would be to require potentialy hazardous servicing be completed before/after the pits are open to the public. If servicing is required after the gates are open then servicing should be accomplished in an area away from spectators.

What is not hazardous ?

You are asking for closed pits !
            Mayday51
            Jim Gallagher

Comment

Originally posted by Swade
              I completely disagree with this position. The pits are hazardous, period. I hate to break it to you, but even sitting quietly in the grandstands at Reno carries a certain amount of risk. Air racing, like many, many spectator sports, is hazardous, period. In the pits, there are NUMEROUS hazards the spectators negotiate every day... I will not even begin to name them. Another way of looking at it: the air-racing "paddock environment" can be hazardous to the spectators, and the spectators, conversely, can be hazardous to the parked racers and their equipment (especially in the IF1, Bipe, and Sport paddocks).

This is the way it should be. There is nothing "alarming" about MM's unfortunate accident, except that it made a huge boom and booms scare people (understandably). The Reno paddock is a scenario where the risk management equation remains carefully balanced by mindful spectators and responsible team members, and it can remain so as long as everyone maintains awareness when visiting the pits.
              _________
              -Matt
              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by mayday51
                What is not hazardous ?

You are asking for closed pits !
                No definatly not asking for closed pits. For me, being in the pits, talking to the crews, and seeing the racers up close is the best part of the Air Races. But, I think certain task have more potential to injure a bystander than others. An accident (whether caused by human error, or equip failure) while servicing oxygen could cause serious injurys to a bystander.

I guess my point was that the race teams accept the risk that is associated with working on an aircraft and all the support equipment. And as a spectator we all accept some risk of injury when we enter the pit area. But, if some of that risk could be contained to just the race teams and at the same time not be too intrusive? Why not.

One point that is not as important as preventing injury but valid for us who love being in the pits. If a spectator had been hurt or worse yet killed in this accident, I expect the fallout would have been severe. I hate to think of the restrictions RARA would have to impose for the next year.

Comment

While it's important to consider the ramifications of this incident, it may be best to keep it low key and let RARA deal with it. If the wrong people pick up on it, they will make a stinking freak show out of all the possibilities.

If you want to take a break from this subject for a few minutes, for anyone interested, there are 494 Reno 06 images posted here' http://www.osgfx.com/, click on Event Photography and near the bottom is the button for Reno Air Races 06. I don't have the shutter speed thing down at all so the props are freeze framed in almost all my stuff, sorry. I'll get it down between now and next time.
                  Scott Adie
                  www.osgfx.com

Comment

[SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION]
                    Originally posted by On Site Grafix
                    If you want to take a break from this subject for a few minutes, for anyone interested, there are 494 Reno 06 images posted here' http://www.osgfx.com/, click on Event Photography and near the bottom is the button for Reno Air Races 06. I don't have the shutter speed thing down at all so the props are freeze framed in almost all my stuff, sorry. I'll get it down between now and next time.
                    [/PROMOTION]
                    :
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

BOT
                      Here's an idea.
                      We used to have an arming area in the military. This is where they would arm the ordinance, pull those red pins etc. Situate it away from the stands and pits, maybe down by the refueling area. I'm sure the teams could work it in to their routine.
                      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                        So just train and pay attention to the system in place. When somebody dies in a car accident because another ran a red light they don't outlaw intersections. Just my opinion but watch your game.
                        Great, now you've given the traffic bureaucrats a new idea to try

There's a tongue-in-cheek saying that the more idiot-proof you make equipment, the more idiots (or better idiots) you encounter. There's a lot of truth in it. I grew up with lawnmowers that (gasp!) kept running when you let go of the handle, cars that could be shifted out of "park" with the ignition key off (I just missed automatic transmissions that didn't actually HAVE a "park" and you had to set the brake just like with a manual gearbox), and hair dryers that wouldn't trip a ground-fault breaker in 20 microseconds if you dropped them in water, and lots of other things that would never be sold today. Everybody *knew* that all those things could kill or maim if abused, and they were treated with respect. People learned how to run the lawnmower safely *without* cutting off feet and without depending on some safety interlock.

Today, there are mechanical "nannies" to take care of all that stuff for us. Heck, you can't even shift a lot of new cars into gear unless not only is the key on, but your foot is also on the brake (which REALLY annoys me). But all those safety devices are added failure points, and I have to wonder if we're ultimately safer or not as more and more people come to depend on the safety devices rather than their own caution. The most dangerous thing is to start thinking "this CAN'T hurt me, there are safety interlocks."

OK- that got long-winded. But what I'm saying is that even if you put a safety valve on the system, it is no less important to READ the *!@# placards and follow the procedures. Sure, add the safety device.... but never give it a reason to function!

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
                          Great, now you've given the traffic bureaucrats a new idea to try

There's a tongue-in-cheek saying that the more idiot-proof you make equipment, the more idiots (or better idiots) you encounter. There's a lot of truth in it. I grew up with lawnmowers that (gasp!) kept running when you let go of the handle, cars that could be shifted out of "park" with the ignition key off (I just missed automatic transmissions that didn't actually HAVE a "park" and you had to set the brake just like with a manual gearbox), and hair dryers that wouldn't trip a ground-fault breaker in 20 microseconds if you dropped them in water, and lots of other things that would never be sold today. Everybody *knew* that all those things could kill or maim if abused, and they were treated with respect. People learned how to run the lawnmower safely *without* cutting off feet and without depending on some safety interlock.

Today, there are mechanical "nannies" to take care of all that stuff for us. Heck, you can't even shift a lot of new cars into gear unless not only is the key on, but your foot is also on the brake (which REALLY annoys me). But all those safety devices are added failure points, and I have to wonder if we're ultimately safer or not as more and more people come to depend on the safety devices rather than their own caution. The most dangerous thing is to start thinking "this CAN'T hurt me, there are safety interlocks."

OK- that got long-winded. But what I'm saying is that even if you put a safety valve on the system, it is no less important to READ the *!@# placards and follow the procedures. Sure, add the safety device.... but never give it a reason to function!

But we must remember that in this case the person who was doing the servicing was told to overpressurize the bottle due to the existing leak down in the system..............It worked for the last few years, why not today????

I had one of our 20 year employees servicing a Cessna 210 with a powerpack that kept cycling on and off. Your need to put a gauge in the system and pump the emergency gear extension handle to pump the system up to 1500psi. The 1st line of the procedure is to secure the tail and put the airplane on jacks. He did not secure the tail because he has done this procedure for 20 years and no problems................the nose gear collapsed and now we will probably have to pay for an engine tear down plus a prop. overhaul...........It worked for twenty years, why not today????

Comment

I understand that Merlin's Magic is not reinstalling the original low pressure system, but switching to a high pressure system. This is a safer system in my opinion.

Comment

Does anyone know when the last required hydrostatic pressure test was actually done on the tank that blew up?

Comment

Originally posted by King

It worked for the last few years, why not today????

Another aspect that I intended to make clear in my post, but it didn't come through at all: You just have to accept a certain amount of risk even when you follow the procedure. When dealing with big machines, or high pressure, or high voltage, or really heavy objects... sometimes bad things happen even if every procedure is followed to the letter and even if you have the safety mechanisms in place.

I think consumers have gotten so conditioned to being promised that everything is "safe" that people forget that everything has a risk. To 100% eliminate risk, you have to take the over-the-top kind of approach that John Slack mentioned jokingly- ban intersections to prevent traffic deaths. That's just not acceptable. There are lots of things in life that are worth doing in spite of the risk. I, for one, am not willing to live in a plastic bubble (or drive a Volvo, as someone's sig says)

Comment

Working...
                                X