Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: C130 barrel role

Originally posted by jarrodeu
    Am I right in thinking that you flew P-3's? ever roll one of them?

Jarrod
    Back at Pax River, a TP friend DID bend a P-3 to the point of a permanent, substantial,(read that...I can't remember exactly...) trim setting to fly straight and level! My Dad was the QA guy for 'Force Warfare' and he was quite.......perterbed......when he got back to the Squadron! Come to think of it, that guy must have worn 'Teflon Flight Suits' because he did get out of a TA-4F that was in an inverted flat-spin
    out over the Chesapeake!
    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Wow, what a photo Brad. That's the kind of thing that makes (or SHOULD make) any pilot stop in his tracks the minute he thinks he wants to show off in the airplane.

I posted this in another thread somewhere...every time I taxi out in ANY airplane I think about that video of the Caribou that takes off with the control lock still installed (and subsequently crashes right in front of the camera). I always do a thorough flight control check because of that.

Comment

I am amazed at how many guys just jump in the airplane and go. When our Champ came back online in Feb. '05, I was pre-flighting on about the 5th flight and the ailerons hung up. I could get right aileron, but no left. This was determined during my walk-around. It turned out that the aileron cable turnbuckle was catching on the elevetor trim cables. An appropriately sized guide block for the trim cables fixed that. The fuselage assembly work had been done 12-14 years prior by my late father and was hidden from view by his beautiful Ceconite covering. CYA with a careful pre-flight and always use your check list, even if it's as simple as CIGAR TIP. (Controls, Instruments, Gas, Altimieter, Run-up, Trim, Interior, Permission) Peas
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
          I've seen a video (really terrible to watch) somewhere of a guy trying something that looked like maybe he was going to attempt a roll in a B-52.. maybe just a steep turn but the end result was not at all pretty and I'm sure many of us have seen the awful result...

I used to work with a guy who had been a B-52 pilot (both "G" and "H" models). He explained (or tried to explain) to me how different they are to fly compared to most other aircraft. They don't even *have* alierons, they use differential spoilers, and a lot of "standard" maneuvers in other aircraft have to be done differently in a BUFF.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
            Wow, what a photo Brad. That's the kind of thing that makes (or SHOULD make) any pilot stop in his tracks the minute he thinks he wants to show off in the airplane.

That is one of a series of about six photos of the accident. One of the pics, which I haven't been able to find on-line, actually shows one of the engines digesting itself, and you can see the wire literally in the process of slicing halfway through the tail.

What is ironic about the photos is, they were taken by the 'normal' 2P (2nd pilot) from the crew. He was supposed to be on that flight, but was feeling ill...so they only went up with 2 pilots instead of the normal 3 for the flight. He took them from the balcony of his hotel room...as he watched 'his' plane and 'his' crew crash.

Comment

I was once the second flight of the day for a rental glider when a preflight discovered an unlocked wing pin. It was in place but who knows when it could have decided to move under a load. I've always been real careful since then.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
              X