Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gary Hubler

Originally posted by Apteryx
    I want to put little motors on the wheels, so we can get off faster...

Paul
    I vote for springs on the axles. Roll the plane backwards for 100 feet to your starting spot to wind them up!
    Jeff Lo
    Biplane race #13 "Miss Gianna"
    Biplane race #6 "Miss Dianne"

Comment

Originally posted by FlyinLo
      I vote for springs on the axles. Roll the plane backwards for 100 feet to your starting spot to wind them up!
      That was my first choice, but it leaves a little 'burn-out',
      don't want to be TOO obvious..

Comment

Psssst... Bill, it was actually the OTHER Luvara brother who gave birth to that remarkable telemery system.

Thanks for the explanation of Mr. Gribben's "system". I think everybody has realized that it makes no sense, but this confirms it. I've never heard an explanation in this depth of how this thing was conceived. Have you ever heard Jack Sweeney express an opinion on all this?

By the way, Bill; It's quite fascinating. You write exactly the way you talk (or vice versa). Remarkable precision. I can hear your voice in my head as I read.

Paul -- Thanks also. In what way does the engine fine tuning determine choice of prop? Is it rpm determined, or something else??

I like the little motors idea. I don't think this is addressed in the rule book -- might just work for one year.....

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
          Psssst... Bill, it was actually the OTHER Luvara brother who gave birth to that remarkable telemery system.
          Yeah, everyone gets us backwards

Mike=telemetry
          Chris=photography

Attached is an overlay of the same airplane, two different pilots, on the F1 course.

One of these days, I'll take the data and integrate a lap to get course length.

Michael
          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry Luvaras, my bad.

I bump into one at the pylons and the other in the Hangar:

Chris - Pylon; Mike - Hangar

I think I got it,

BillRo

Comment

the pylon by 20'. That would provide a more accurate "actual" course than what we have now. Of course that would not work for the UL asymmetric course so you know why we have what we have

BillRo[/QUOTE]

You know, I commented on this topic about two years ago. I think the only true distance you can measure on any type of racing course (Human, horse, boat, drag, NASCAR, etc.) has to be from a measured point to point to point on the ground, or it's meaningless. Isn't that why pilots fly as close to the pylons as possible?
              Isn't that why running tracks have staggered starts, so everyone runs the same distance? If my aircraft can pull higher G's than what is given for the course calculations, am I cheating by flying a shorter distance, or do I have a superior aircraft? Yes, the calculated course gave us a 500 mph lap a few years ago in the unlimited class, but I still think that is a hollow record. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                By the way, Bill; It's quite fascinating. You write exactly the way you talk (or vice versa). Remarkable precision. I can hear your voice in my head as I read.
                LOL Neal...

I can TRULY hear you whenever I read what you write!!

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thunder Mustang guru John Parker is very well known for other things these days, but a quarter century ago he was an intensely competitive IF1 racer. He took a Championship in 1979 in a fairly normal Shoestring, then came back and took two more Gold Races (1980 and 81) in the wildly unconventional and innovative #3, known variously as Wild Turkey and American Special. As pointed out above, in 1981 he set a Race speed record that stood for over 20 years, til finally surpassed by Jon Sharp in Nemesis.

His long suffering crew chief in those campaigns was none other than Bill Rogers, posting in this thread as BillRo. This, by the way is obviously not the Bill Rogers who campaigns Furias, but "the other Bill Rogers".

These days Bill is the long-time editor of "The Formula Forum" -- the IF1 class monthly (more or less) newsletter. This is a great publication -- one of the two best Air Racing newsletters ever done. The Forum is an absolutely essential reference for me in my writing and photography about our Sport. Thanks Bill...

In his spare time Bill travels the West photographing (professionally) Pro Rallye car racing. He's quite qualified fpr this pursuit as in another time he himself raced Mini-Coopers (the real ones, made by Austin in England).

I just wish he'd buckle down and restore his Sunbeam Tiger sports car (a rather spectacular little English sports car with a Ford V-8 stuffed under the hood). I'd really like to drive that thing....

I just thought people here might like to know a bit about one of our occasional posters. It always seems to be worth my time to listen to this guy, at least when I can understand whatever it is he's trying to explain to me.

In this photograph by Birgitta before the IF1 Gold this year, Bill is on the far right (with camera) talking to Gary Hubler. In the foreground, I think, (wearing that pretty vest and big Nikons and talking to Jason Somes) is one of the various Luvara brothers that Bill is always getting mixed up. (This is Chris, the photography one).

Neal
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by wingman; 10-27-2006, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Pssst...Neal, It was 1977 when John won the IF1 Championship in Top Turkey and next year is the 30th anniversary. In '78 the F1 race was weathered out, but he won with Wild Turkey/American Special in '79 and '80. John retired the plane in '81 and Cote was back winning.

Thanks for the kind words.

BTW the Tiger is Carol's and it is running but with a major oil leak, so it is time to pull the motor and freshen it for the first time in 40 years.

BillRo

Comment

Hi Bill -- As I said, numbers are not a strong point for me...

Neal

Comment

Hi,
                        I'd like to throw in a couple of cents worth regarding Mr. Hubler. I know this thread has kinda of gone toward the F1 course and the like, but I'd like to rudder it in a bit of a different direction. First Gary is an awesome guy, an outstanding pilot, and has great support of his wonderful family. If you haven't ever met them, do yourself a service and go meet this group. They are top drawer true Americans! Gary is a wonderful champion, and makes his plane haul. I had the pleasure to race with Gary a lot, and I can tell you he holds his line around the course better than any I've seen! It would be fun to race with Gary again.
                        Regarding the question about the G loading. The "museum piece" Nemesis G meter recorded 5 3/4 to 6 G every time I flew the plane fast on the course. The Sport Class course in the Nemesis NXT loading seen so far is lower, but WOW the SPEED difference is AWESOME! More to come! WAY FUN!!!! Side tracked...
                        Just wanted give a tip of the hat to an awesome guy, and awesome team! F1 is in good hands with a champion like Gary representing the class. I can think of no one whom I would like to see break my records more than Gary.
                        Cheers,
                        Jon

Comment

I'm really excited about the development of the Sport Class. It's beginning to have the feel of the old Indy Car days, pre-IRL; lots of engines, airframes and people getting behind them with money. Hats off to Lycoming, Superior Air Parts, and to the extent that they've been involved, Continental. There's little doubt that they'll be over 400 mph very soon!
                          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Working...
                          X