Inflatable pylons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Inflatable pylons

How much do the pylons move in the Red Bull race ?
    Even if they do move slightly they should not present more than a distraction to the pilots if used at Reno.
    Spare pylons could be kept partially inflated to be released immediately if a pylon is destroyed (ready for the next lap).

There have been wings ripped off by the Reno pylons so I think it is more than an imaginary problem.

Comment

Is there anyone that raced in Cleveland at Burke in the 60-70's that can comment on the year(s?) they used balloons for pylons? I thought I heard that they were a pain as they moved a lot. But then, I believe some of them were hooked to boats in the lake.

Kenn
      May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Didn't they race over water @ Hamilton AFB in the SF Bay area? I don't recall what kind of pylons they used but RG75 would know.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gollwitzer
          Didn't they race over water @ Hamilton AFB in the SF Bay area? I don't recall what kind of pylons they used but RG75 would know.
          I already made a post about this on this thread. Yes, they used orange balloons teathered to anchors out in the bay for three or four of the course pylons at Hamilton. And they had all sorts of problems with them, too.

Comment

We need pylons? How about Madonna putting in a full day of work on her back...
            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
            World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
              We need pylons? How about Madonna putting in a full day of work on her back...
              They sure as heck won't move around much!

Comment

Working...
              X