Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleanin Up!

So....
    I have worked at this place for many years...the business was sold last March! Its a good thing. Anyhow, we have had a 30 cubic yard dumpster show up and filled it 3 times full of the old owners crap.....BUT amongst the garbage there has been a few DIAMONDS in the rough! In a box that the rats had been eating was a carburetor and it looks like brand new...pulled the part number off of it and ran over to the ole laptop on my desk and ran the part number on the 'net' and low and behold it comes up as a part for a -9 Merlin....holy crap...we are doing good here folks...so the day goes by and I find a starter, but this one looks used, but I hook it up to a 24 volt battery and it actually works...run the part number...bingo -9 merlin....this is good! So we keep cleaning and throwing crap/junk/sh%^ away and I find a milk crate with 2 used merlin cunos.....This is cool....maybe there is some more crap or GOLD else where! The last parts we have identified when we left tonight were some allison parts...I didnt have a chance to run the part number but I will on monday...I was hopeful that I would find more...but beggars cant be choosers!!!!

Re: Cleanin Up!

Griffron's....

Just an observation from an old wrench...

You might want to try to connect with some of the "old timers" here to see if any of this stuff is of some historical value!

THANKS!

BellCobra????????????????????
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The Merlin parts are already spoken for, Wayne. I was looking over this stuff at the shop last week, and they are going to go for a very good cause--gonna go into the 'restored' 1975 U-74 Weisfields hydroplane (currently sitting outside in the rain in a sad state of disrepair), which our owner won the '75 drivers championship in.

The Allison parts are something very interesting, tho. They look to be the squirrelcage housing for the carburator off a Merlin, but adapted to mount on the front of an Allison.

Fearless Freddy Alter, a driver from Detroit, made these parts many moons ago--most likely back in the 60's when the Gale hydroplane team was experimenting with interchanging parts from the Merlin and Allisons.

Kind of cool to look at and contemplate...but nothing that any of the warbird guys would be interested in. This is all hydroplane stuff all the way.

Awesome find, none-the-less. It's been a long time since I've seen Griffonsrule this excited about CLEANING the shop!

Comment

Ahh the thunderboats!

If only there were an unlimited amount of surplus parts to keep it all going!

Something really special hearing a piston powered boat slapping the waves...

Sure does sound awfully hard on the motors tho!

At Sea Fair, the Allison boat sound almost made me cringe when it'd hit the chop!

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
        X