how to get involved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get involved?

I am wondering how to get involved in this sport. Who should i talk to to get started? I am only 16. but i am hoping for a early start.

Re: how to get involved?

You failed to say what kind of involvement you are interested in.
    As a fan, come to Reno as a spectator and meet some racer/crew.
    Subscribe and read every magazine out there. Buy or borrow any racing history book you can find or afford. Lurk on these sites and learn from the resident geeks.
    To become a racer, learn to fly, buy a plane ,and go for it!
    Join a support group and volunteer.
    Betty Sherman, Treasurer
    National Air racing Group

Comment

Dang Darlin Betty, Couldn't have said it any better myself!
      Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
      RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
        I am wondering how to get involved in this sport. Who should i talk to to get started? I am only 16. but i am hoping for a early start.
        Where do you live? Near Reno? I have a race trailer that can always use another hand getting it cleaned up.

Don
        Don

Hauler Driver Looking for a Hauler to Drive ..
        Any Race Team Need One?

Comment

bear hauler you live in reno?
          www.renosection3.com

Comment

Originally posted by BearHauler
            Where do you live? Near Reno? I have a race trailer that can always use another hand getting it cleaned up.

Don
            You know, I don't know how many 'new' people I've met that wanted to get involved in racing and when you ask them to sweep the floor, or clean those parts, or do some 'menial' task as their first job, they scoff and walk away. How many times I've heard, "No, I mean I want to WORK on it"...and what they don't realize is if YOU don't sweep the floor, then I'M going to sweep the floor after I'm done doing whatever it is that I'm doing.

My own son was like that at first...but now if you hand him a broom, he goes to town with it. Just ask Griffonsrule how grungy DJ can get and still have a smile on his face. And one of the best guys on our team does NOTHING but clean and shine the truck and boat and parts all day. He is ALWAYS working, and because of it, our stuff looks better than anyone elses in the pits. Even those tasks that may seem or feel 'menial' are incredibly important.

Correct answer (hopefully) will be "Man, I'd LOVE to help clean your race trailer!" Age has nothing to do with it. Just come with enthusiasm. :-)

Comment

Hey! I'm over 40, and I'd come sweep the floors and clean the trucks to get closer and "inside" on the sport! It's just that...well, I'm too far away!
              I'm the one that moved away though...I guess I'll live with that.
              Mike S
              www.indyairshow.com
              www.indytransponder.com

Comment

Working...
              X