Howard hughs B-25 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard hughs B-25 ??

Does any know what has be come of the B25 in lancaster CA the a&p school had the props off and I heard they mixed all the stuff up or didn't mark them darn learning curve the worst part was they broke some kind of pump when they pulled them,they had a KC99 out front also they were going to make a strato liner out of ok have fun thanks

Re: Howard hughs B-25 ??

I crawled around in it after a bunch of freighters including myself were weathered out of the LA Basin one morning in 1986. A bunch of us descended upon Fox Field.

It (B-25) was mostly complete and not vandalized, just open. I opened the front door and climbed in, some other guys went into the airstair in the back. It had really neat miniature venetian blinds in the windows, a bed in the cut-down crawl-through, and some cool old chairs. Typical old panel set-ups, and I remember that it wasn't too far from stock, just an older model than the J/N I had been flying. Maybe it is a D model?

At the time the A-20 was next to it, and it was really weird as the rear of it was a little office with three chairs and a telephone, all in dark pigskin.

Both airplanes had the wing outer panels removed and the spars suffered from severe intergranular corrosion. Still, two unmolested and intact executive transport bombers is a cool display. I'm glad I got to see them and rummage through them when I did.

I don't know what happened to the B-25. I think the A-20 is in storage at Aero Traders desert facility.

Chris...

Comment

Don't ya wish we had cell phones that took pictures back then!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Oh, yes.
        Chris...

Comment

The B-25 is supposed to still be in Lancaster:
          The North American Aviation B-25 Mitchell registry follows the history of all B-25s that survived military service.

I believe it can been seen on Google Earth
          The A-20 is now owned by Kermit Weeks and in storage with Aero Trader
          The Douglas A-20/DB-7 Havoc registry follows the history of all Havocs that survived military service.

Comment

Thanks guys, neat stuff.
            Chris...

Comment

.....WJF.....16 Oct 1985....

Comment

That is just how they looked when I saw them, back in '86. Thanks for the memory back-up.
                Chris...
                P.S. Funny how I now see the trim stripes as very TWA-like.

Comment

These are from 10 Oct 06 and the Museum is planning on a Static Restoration. The outer panels are in an adjacent hanger and as soon as
                  they move a Fiesler Stork out of the way, they'll put the Mitchell in and start work.
                  Attached Files
                  Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Amazing shots. The shot of the B25 from the RR quarter with the blinds half-open is positively stirring. I love this stuff...
                    _________
                    -Matt
                    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

So, am I the only one who thinks its kind of cool to see a 'civilian' restoration like this?

Anyone know if there are restored On-Mark Invaders like this?

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                        So, am I the only one who thinks its kind of cool to see a 'civilian' restoration like this?
                        Definitely not!!!
                        _________
                        -Matt
                        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

I love this stuff. My Dad used to fly a D. U. "Dee" Howard 'Super Ventura' and a Howard '500'. I really love these old exec's.

The CAF's (destroyed)A-20, one or more of their A-26's, (destroyed)B-26 and B-24 were all executive transports.

Howard Keck at Van Nuys, CA has an On-Mark Invader in original configuration. It is polished aluminum and gray.
                          It is featured in the Runway 16 Right trailer.

There is a pressurized On-Mark Marksman landlocked at a high school in South Phoenix, it was Garrett's powerplant test aircraft.

There used to be a Marksman at Santa Theresa?, NM. I saw it fly at a Planes of Fame show at Chino in '79 or '80.

Chris...
                          Last edited by stuntflyr; 10-11-2006, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon

Anyone know if there are restored On-Mark Invaders like this?
                            No, you're alone there. I'd like to see a couple more "warbirds" painted in civilian colors too. I don't think there is any On-Mark 26 flying in civilian colors today. As Chris says Howard Keck has a silver exec. flying out of Van Nuys. Matt Jackson has Marksman N99426 stored, and I hope that one could be restored as an exec. 26. The last civilian painted I know of was George Rivera's N500MR before it was painted as "Gator Invader". Also Conrad Yelvington had N7079G painted in a civilian scheme, but had added star/bars to it.

By the way Chris, would you have a photo of the Marksman at Chino that year?

T J

Comment

Originally posted by T J Johansen
                              No, you're alone there. I'd like to see a couple more "warbirds" painted in civilian colors too. I don't think there is any On-Mark 26 flying in civilian colors today. As Chris says Howard Keck has a silver exec. flying out of Van Nuys. Matt Jackson has Marksman N99426 stored, and I hope that one could be restored as an exec. 26. The last civilian painted I know of was George Rivera's N500MR before it was painted as "Gator Invader". Also Conrad Yelvington had N7079G painted in a civilian scheme, but had added star/bars to it.

By the way Chris, would you have a photo of the Marksman at Chino that year?

T J

And of course, N500MR is a former racer...Lloyd Hamilton at the '71 Mojave 1000.

Comment

Working...
                              X