Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's going to happen in the future

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
    The auto v8 myth never dies.... GREAT energy and INTEREST tho !!!!!

I know its old info, but the basic problem still is the same, it Odena couldnt make it happen with a rat / chev / gm starting point..... finally making everything from scratch and with lots of willing buck$$$ (to a point where investors bailed? (i guess))

Sooo, How can a handfull of Sport racers manage to do better..... and where will the money come from.

Seems the ga powerplants will do fine ..... going way past the 400 mark.

BM
    This is getting old. It's been solved! Go read the website I posted - EPI Inc. Then come back here and we'll talk.

I think I'm beginning to know how it feels to be a crew-member-in-the-know, who has what he says shot down by armchair mechanics who think they know everything already and refuse to let new or different ides into their heads!

Seriously, I'm trying to have a beneficial, worthwhile conversation here. I finally post something that has some merit, that can move the discussion along, only to smack right into a brick wall of ignorance and laziness. I've posted the address three times. If you can't be bothered to go read it, why do you bother at all to post?

Please tell me, are you so jaded by automotive conversion failures when one that is successful actually comes along you don't even bother? Here's some choice quotes:

"The MARK-9 gearbox is a two-mesh, geared reduction unit. It was used by EngineAir Power Systems on their firewall-forward, liquid-cooled 440HP turbocharged V8 engine package. That powerplant is currently flying on several Lancair 4-P aircraft, some with over 1000 flight hours, and installed on a variety of others still under construction."

"The prototype of this design has accumulated over 800 hours of in-flight time in Lancair-4P aircraft, including several races, countless full-power demonstration flights, and extended instances of being flown in hard-IFR (by a very brave pilot).

As of late 2005, several production versions have accumulated well over 500 hours of problem-free flight time."

"

- EPI Propeller Gearbox Products -

The EPI PSRU products evolved from the EPI Engine Development Program (see Aircraft V8 Development). All EPI Propeller Reduction Gearboxes are designed with special attention paid to reliability and to the isolation of the gearbox and propeller from the engine torsional excitation. They incorporate proprietary coupling system technology between the engine and the gearbox which attenuates to near-zero the amplitude of the torsional vibration forces generated by the engine.

We do that by designing the engine-gearbox-propeller system so that the transmissibility between the engine crankshaft and the PSRU input gear is less than 1%. That means the gears, propshaft and propeller feel less than 1% of the engine torque pulsing.

For a clear presentation on this vibration technology, follow these four links, in order:
    Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

All our gearbox designs are based on a severe-service aircraft load model, which includes loads from the following sources:

(a) the gear loads from mean engine torque ("STATIC loads");
    (b) the gear loads from the system dynamics
    ( which can be many times larger than the static loads);
    (c) the bearing, shaft and housing loads produced by:
    torque, thrust, gear separation forces, and gyroscopic moments;
    (d) the cooling load imposed by the power transmitted;
    (e) the lubrication requirements;
    (f) the propeller control system (governor) requirements.

That aircraft load model, along with our vibration-isolation technology, are described in considerable detail in the Propeller Gearbox Technology section."

There, I've done some of the work for you, you can continue to be lazy.

Go there; EPI Inc. Read up, come back here, then post.
    Last edited by shadow; 10-02-2006, 07:28 AM. Reason: More quotes

Comment

Originally posted by shadow
      904ci DOHC 1200HP on pump gas. Add boost and you have 2000HP, add ADI and race gas and you have 2500HP+.

www.schubeckracing.com

I'm sure its a nice engine, but the web description really puts me off. DOHC is modern and efficient, pushrods are ancient, blah blah, woof woof. DOHC doesn't necessarily buy you diddly at 3500 RPM where engines spinning 14-foot propellors through reduction gears like to run.

Comment

"The MARK-9 gearbox is a two-mesh, geared reduction unit. It was used by EngineAir Power Systems on their wall-forward, liquid-cooled 440HP turbocharged V8 engine package. That powerplant is currently flying on several Lancair 4-P aircraft, some with over 1000 flight hours, and installed on a variety of others still under construction."

Im fairly in the know on lancairs. I find the above statement hard to believe. can you list some examples I know of none with any significant time on them. Actually the two I know about are removed and now flying tsio 550s
        dave
        www.davemorss.com

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
          I'm sure its a nice engine, but the web description really puts me off. DOHC is modern and efficient, pushrods are ancient, blah blah, woof woof. DOHC doesn't necessarily buy you diddly at 3500 RPM where engines spinning 14-foot propellors through reduction gears like to run.
          Are pushrods any stronger? Are you saying it mught be better to have pushrods on a slower turning engine?

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
            Are pushrods any stronger? Are you saying it mught be better to have pushrods on a slower turning engine?

Jarrod
            I'm saying that it is a silly selling point, but one that has been used a lot because it says "new and improved!" Car magazines (which SHOULD be objective) still have a terrible habit of pooh-poohing pushrod engines in comparison to overhead cams just because of the "gee whiz" factor when there isn't a real performance advantage in many cases. Pushrods add mass in the valvetrain, and that can be bad... at high RPM. But not every application has to exceed 7000 rpm for hours on end! At 3500 RPM, valvetrain mass is far and away NOT the limiting factor in piston engine life, especially in an aviation duty cycle. Overhead cams are a liability in that they make the package taller and wider. Compare any automotive OHC v8 (eg, the Ford Modular, Chrysler 4.7, Cadillac Northstar) in overall width to a similar size or even larger pushrod engine (eg. Chrysler 5.7 Hemi, GM Gen-III smallblock) and the pushrod engine is a more compact layout overall.

What am I talking about? I'm firmly in the camp that things car engines shouldn't fly. But in all honesty the Thunder/Orenda and Falconer are so heavily re-engineered that they aren't really "car" engines anymore. Note that they retained pushrods, though. I did find that article interesting in that the first major modification they had to do to the Chevy big-block for long-term durability was turn it into a Mopar/big Olds/Ford FE type block by making it a deep-skirt design to better support the crankshaft. I've always thought the big Chevy had a bit of a glass jaw because of that unsupported crank and the awkward pushrod geometry. I've never found them nearly as reliable as the small Chevy or the big Mopar and Olds v8s.

Comment

Auto engines converted for use in production aircraft

Since, this is an interesting subject; I would like to throw out some thoughts before the forum returns to auto engine vs. aviation engine bashing. This is my viewpoint based on knowledge gained as a principle for an aeronautical engineering company that was under contract to support a large automaker with a general aviation configuration study in the mid to late 90s. During this time our company made many recommendations regarding aircraft designs, configurations, and subsequent auto engine marketability.

First, and foremost any engine used in a production aircraft has to been type certified by the manufacture of the said engine. It is an expensive task to TC a product for aviation use. (Were talking millions of dollars to develop an engine through TC) Second, after the engine manufacture has obtained a TC, before they can install it on a production aircraft a separate Supplemental TC is required for the aircraft. STCs are not cheap either and end cost has traditionally fallen on the aircraft owner.

There have been many auto engines converted for aviation use, Orenda, Porsche and Lexus are a few that come to mind. These engines have proven that auto engine conversions are doable and can obtain a TC award. However, aircraft owners are fickle, so you must first convince owners the application of these engines will not depreciate their investment. As a manufacture the engine has to be marketable, how many aircraft types can your new engine retrofit? Horsepower, size, weight, and liquid cooling are limiting factors within an already limited market, millions of cars vs. thousands of aircraft. I think Orenda targeted twin commanders and other cabin class twins. So in reality the question is not; was the technology good, because they developed a good engine. The issue was and still is; is the business model solid? Can we generate enough money to support a factory and grow a business? It’s pretty hard to compete with Lycoming and Continental because they are embedded out of the gate at the airframe manufacture. So the question is why spend my money for an STC to alter your aircraft to replace the existing engine design which does a good job with another engine design which may affect the marketability. Do I have to become a company spokesperson to dump my aircraft back into the market? This is where the auto engine conversions have faltered, and not by building a better or worse mouse trap. But, failing to understand the market, i.e. will anyone buy it, is the market big enough, and ultimately what is the perception of the market toward this technology. I think Porsche, smartly embedded themselves into Mooney. However, just as quickly as they entered they got out of the aircraft market not because of quality, but, because of perceived liability. A smart move on their part because there are probably not many lawsuits from 911 owners who coasted to a stop after a max continuous power engine failure on the freeway. I know that the Lexus engine never went to market after TC, because of same issues I have presented. One of the few successful aftermarket engine companies that come to mind in the production aircraft market is RAM, working with ECI they have basically cornered the niche 421 market.

Comment

GGGGgggrrrrrrrrr !!!

A mopar, ''executive" factory guy i talked to eons ago said to me..... (more or less)... "we are forced to use cammer motors because the buying publics need ? that this flavor of modern technology in motors is necessary.... which it is not." "Similiar mpg and performance gains can be had without all this extra motor weight, power package size, complexity and mfg. cost."

We dont need any stinking OHC 's

BM

Comment

Nothing has really changed since the airplane developer Mr. Dave? Blanton promoter of the clone neo-fighter craft kits, similiar to the Jurca kits during the middle of the last century.

Im still waiting...

BM

Comment

I'll chime in here..

OHC is nice from a techy standpoint but..

Had a nice '92 V-6 Toyota Camry once and it ran great (still does from what I understand) but you had to worry about getting the cam belt replaced at about 60k.

I also managed a fleet for years, which contained several OHC powered lift-trucks.. I got really good at slamming in new belts to drive the top half of the engine.. something always seemed WRONG about having a piece of reinforced rubber running in such an important capacity as driving the valve train! And man would those things get loose at about replacement time (can't remember how many hours it was that we swapped them out) can't imagine what that did to the engine's overall timing accuracy.

I now drive a '97 Chevy with a nice compact cast iron 350 cu in V-8.

Darn thing gets almost 18MPG (weighing about 6000 lbs no less) at 75-85 on the highway and from everyone I've talked with who own them, the Chev 350 pushrod engine is good to something near or over 200k miles before needing serious engine work...

Hummn.....

Modernizing the old is probably a lot better than reinventing the wheel!

Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Does the term "interferance engine" belong with the general topic of "airplane"?

BM

Comment

Wayne

Over ten years ago the squeek motor (duntov), 265 to the 401 had run of over 58 million block castings from GM...

I wonder what was the total today

I wonder if it is still in production @ GM (volvo marine? )

BM

Comment

Does the term "interferance engine" belong with the general topic of "airplane"?

BM

Sure.... IF the cam is GEAR DRIVEN :-)

Serious question- are Lycs and Continentals interference engines? Merlins? R-2800s? I bet SOME of them are, but the geared cam drive is so reliable that losing cam phasing and bashing a valve is an extremely unlikely failure. OTOH, it happens every day with belt timed Hondas and Toyotas, and even occasionally with chain-timed Fords, Chevies, and Mopars. But when it does, you coast to the side of the road, not belly into a mountain somewhere.

Comment

Wayne

Over ten years ago the squeek motor (duntov), 265 to the 401 had run of over 58 million block castings from GM...

I wonder what was the total today

I wonder if it is still in production @ GM (volvo marine? )

BM
                            The Chevy mouse is no longer really in use in cars or trucks, and hasn't been for about 4-5 years. The "Gen III" v8 family uses some of the same dimensions (bore center spacing, bearing center spacing, etc.) and basic architecture but is really a completely different beast from the oil pan to the fuel injectors. IIRC, the "old" mouse is still in limited production as a crate motor, and for industrial/marine use. I don't know if its done in-house by GM or contracted out, though. And by the way, so is the Mopar A family (273-360), or at least was when I got my last Mopar Performance catalog about year ago. But they do now offer the 5.7 (the "new Hemi") as a crate engine, so I doubt the A engine will stay around even as a crate engine much longer. (at least from Chrysler, aftermarket block makers may pick it up though).

Comment

Warren_C - fantastic point! Perhaps the path needed is through experimental / air racing then on to certification?

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
                              DOHC doesn't necessarily buy you diddly at 3500 RPM where engines spinning 14-foot propellors through reduction gears like to run.
                              I agree, the whole move from pushrod to DOHC wasn't necessarily on it's merits. Now the whole 3500rpm thing is confusing. I am pretty sure that engine rpm is set by reliability-performance. If you want more performance, increase rpm; more reliability, decrease rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by shadow
                                the whole move from pushrod to DOHC wasn't necessarily on it's merits. Now the whole 3500rpm thing is confusing. I am pretty sure that engine rpm is set by reliability-performance. If you want more performance, increase rpm; more reliability, decrease rpm.

.......3500 rpm ?

why run it at that speed with a PSRU ?

.......I would imagine more towards 5400 max revs...
                                (dependant on engine "tune")
                                Mayday51
                                Jim Gallagher

Comment

Working...
                                X