Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New everymans class ?

Originally posted by Juke
    Planes weighing just 100 lbs and doing 100 mph at 10 feet would be also very entertaining I assume...
    ...or not

Comment

Re: What's going to happen in the future

Originally posted by jarrodeu
      I don't think that was drawn just for the sake of posting it in this thread. Are there plans to make it a float plane?

Jarrod

Many plans not enough time!!!!
      http://www.kevineldredge.com
      http://www.myairport.com
      sigpic

Comment

Re: New everymans class ?

Originally posted by Apteryx
        ...or not
        Well it needs a study of course, but it would be closer to the original spirit of air racing ( Reims France etc. )...though not unlimited but specially limited ( like F1 ) !
        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

In Reims there were a lot of truely unique designs, and 100mph was FAST, so the spectators came.
          Put a bunch of nearly identical airplanes up today, traveling at speeds that you could better in a mommyvan, it won't draw flies, (nor would derigable races). Remember aircraft are 40 times faster now, that raises the bar a little.

Comment

I was referring the fastest of all aircraft, (not just racers).
            1.4 times for certain aircraft...

Comment

In hang gliding we do a downhill pylon racing that is more similar to ski racing than Reno Air Racing. It takes a lot of nerve and skill to race close to the max. speed of the gliders close to the ground.
              The speeds wont be much more than 120mph but it is quite spectacular and rather too dangerous for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
                In Reims there were a lot of truely unique designs, and 100mph was FAST, so the spectators came.
                Put a bunch of nearly identical airplanes up today, traveling at speeds that you could better in a mommyvan, it won't draw flies, (nor would derigable races). Remember aircraft are 40 times faster now, that raises the bar a little.

I am not familiar with word derigable, but I think I caught your point.

Certainly the way they are now 500 mph is more spectator friendly.

New everyman class could possibly be a better way to seek pilots for "real" air-racing. Like the go-karts for F1 business in automotive isndustry.

The future though...remains a mystery.

Comment

I will turn up for the airship races and I think a very low power air race could be fun on a tight circuit (twisty maybe) as long as performance is comparable.

Take us back to the air races of 1910 with 5hp motors

Comment

Pylon Racing for the masses

Hang glider pylon racing is a very low cost sport with gliders costing from $1000 for a used one.

Still needs lots of skill and care.

Red Bull organised several races in the USA
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Reno_Steve
                      Pylon Racing for the masses
                      ... pylon racing is a very low cost sport with gliders costing from $1000 for a used one.

Yes..great..just like everymans car-racing here..one is compelled to sell his/her car after the race for a certain low price...so real state of art tuning with helluva lot of money has to stay out and costs stay low.

It does bring more folks to the racing as racers..perhaps less spectators.

PS: The kite would have to be an open cockpit and preferably a twin ?!

Comment

Originally posted by Relentless
                        NXT supermarine!!!
                        Look out Macchi! "Macchi, Macchi man, I'm gonna be a Macchi man..."
                        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

NXT Supermarine....I think RJ Mitchell, himself, couldn't do better! Maybe you can stuff a 'W-type' upfront..... (Low/Mid 300's...sure...)
                          ...I wonder what Mitchell could have done with modern materials science?
                          Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Since this thread is about the 30s / 40s "marine" float racing......

Remember the Italian , half submerged a/c that had a boat propeller in the back , to get on the step ,,.... then switched to the front prop ...... saw a picture of it years a go... red I think?

Any takers on this one..... Aeromacchi... something ???

BM

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
                              Any takers on this one..... Aeromacchi... something ??? BM
                              Sure! Piaggio PC-7 actually.
                              HERE

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X