sightings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sightings

Was at Dillon Beach, on Tomales Bay near Sonoma, (northern Ca.)
    this weekend. On Sunday at around 10:00 am we heard a rumble in the distance. Knowing a round engine when we hear it we started searching. Out of the fog burst a B-25 feet flying parallel to the beach, headed south at around 1500 feet. Cruised on bye and dissapeared in the distance. Bare metal or silver with yellow cowl rings, stars and bars and black lettering on the verticals.
    Anyone know who it might have been?
    Sure was pretty......
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Take a look through the gallery here http://www.aafo.com/library/history/doolittle/g1/ you might see it there. At the Doolittle reunion last year, *most* of the flying -25's were there...

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

B 25 & Sea Fury

I know that the one that matches that description has been flying only recently from Camarillo, as the Executive Sweet, no longer in polished aluminum, as the air is to hard on it being unhangared. It had a major rebuild due to wing/spar corrosion, the same as the CAF B-25. Doubtful the CAF 25 will be flying for several years yet, as the CAF in Camarillo has a lot on their plate, between 2 C-46's, a Convair 240 or 340, F8F-2 Bearcat, F6F Hellcat, SNJ and lord only knows what else. The Camarillo air show was this weekend past. The Bearcat had Hydraulic problems on Saturday and didn't fly Sunday, and the Hellcat mayday'd with a fuel problem as it was streming behind him right after takeoffr, with Steve Barber putting it back down quickly without incident. The Sweet flew both days and looks great. Also there for sale, but not flying, was George Baker's old Sea Fury, Southern Cross. Does anyone know the amount of damage it sustained in the landing accident with a Mustang? Have pictures? Much was replaced on it and it looks great. I believe it is now owned by Elsworth Getchell.

Comment

b-25

Could have been "Sunday Punch", the markings seem right ( black tail code, yellow cowl). Conditions were bright sun looking thru a breaking coastal fog so a lot of reflections. Initial impression was of painted gun nose but reflecions could have been from glass.
        Hav'nt seen "Executive Sweet" since she was rebuilt.
        Must have been a pretty cruise down the coast!
        Also saw a "Albatross" about a half hour later, thought there might have been a show somewhere up here I did'nt know about.
        Maybe someone who "was there" will know.

Thanks!

Leo
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

albatross

Did'nt look like Buehn's. Looked white with dark blue trim/hull bottom. It was farther inland, possibly a mile.
          Unfortunately I have not devoted th time lately that I used to and fallen way behind on who owns what and where. The sheer number of flyers being added continually has overwhelmed my limited time resources (fortunately for the movement!). Day was I probably would have known the owner, number and history of both!
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

old friends

A lot of my "old friends" have changed owners and markings several times since I was immersed in this. Some are just plain gone.
            A lot of times I'll recognize an N-number or Bu No and trace it back
            to something familiar. Keeps the webs cleared out!
            BTW Bear, the poster of P-metal has a place of honor on the air race wall.
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

I believe it is now owned by Elsworth Getchell.
              nope...Ellsworth was flying it at the Abbotsford Air Show last weekend...........unless he owns 2 SeaFuries....
              the other Wayne................

Comment

p-m

Awesome shot! As the late, great J.D. would say," Faaaar Out"!
                Wallpaper download? (hint, hint).
                The juices are flowing and I'm already packing. Does anyone know what the policy is this year for the ramp area in front of the gen admission stands? I usually set up my lawn chair on Sunday in front of section 3, behind the 2 foot fence. With added security I wonder if this areas open or are we limited to the stands. The rest of the week I float around pits, static, and stands.

Can't wait to see the rest of the pics Mark. And every time I see Gina in film I think of your site.

Peace

Leo
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Bad news

Mark,

How did the photos turn out with She-Devil and PM?????? Did the fly over come out? I'll be getting my photos back tomorrow..
                  MG

Comment

b-25 & pm

I'm bettin' it was Sunday Punch. Especially if she's based at Santa Rosa as it's right next door.
                    Thanks everyone!

Bear, the color may be off (?) but that is still a niiiiiice shot, like always!
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

showing mine

Hey bear!
                      You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!
                      Actually my camera work is pretty weak and my equipment worse.
                      In keeping with the start of this thread attached is a scan of a recent pen and ink. Thanks to Wayne for the help!
                      Hope to get some of the racers drawn before long.

Leo
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

very impressive, congratulations !!!!!

what about some racer art work now ??

Comment

thanks

Racers still in works, starting with Miss Ashley. Then P-Metal and the RB-51 (I like c-r props). After that is Miss A i think, those are the ones I have material for and layouts started.
                          There are so many and work is slow, around 75-100 hours so I'll let you in on what gets finished as it does.
                          I eventually intend to print these (way in the future) so the critique is appreciated!

Leo
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                          X