Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: f18 lap speed?

Originally posted by jarrodeu
    So what happened with the lawn dart incident?

Jarrod
    Fun Speculation....that Driver won his bet!
    All the other days I saw were transonic or under......
    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
      Tina said they were running about 8.88 Gs around the pylons.

I've pulled 8 Gs before - but never sustained. And I don't believe they were wearing G suits.
      Gotta throw the BS flag here...no way they were sustaining that kind of G for that long on a 9 mile course at that kind of speed at that altitude.

Comment

Originally posted by mosquito
        Fifi ran the course?!?!? No kidding? Fifi, B-29 Fifi? Wow, wow... Anyone have any pics whatsoever of THAT?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
          Gotta throw the BS flag here...no way they were sustaining that kind of G for that long on a 9 mile course at that kind of speed at that altitude.
          Yeah, but these guys are in the Navy!

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by chixfly2
            Perhaps not L39s... perhaps multi-jet with handicaps?

I don't know - but it sure is cool watching them round the pylons!
            How about an unlimited/jet handicapped one lapper? Give September Fury (or Dago, or Strega) a half-lap lead and see if the Hornet could catch him. Afterburners allowed, of course...
            Mark Johnson
            Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

FIFI running 330 mph, NO WAY!

I was out at the VOS when Fifi ran the course, she cut across from three to six, every lap...

But wow, Fifi, a B25 and two T-6's was truly awesome and among the most treasured Reno Moments I ever had....They flew right over us four times....199 MPH (estimated) at 200 feet or less!

Comment

Originally posted by fenceliner01
                Yeah, but he broke the west fence deadline by about 200 meters, BIG TIME! It was great being right underneath him!

Mike A.
                Dont know about the speed but i was north of your location and here's some shots right over the fence
                Attached Files
                "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

As I recall it was the West Coast demo Viper from Hill during his routine. I was out on the line standing on the wing of a T-6 when he went by and got a little fast. He was almost abeam me when it happened and it literally brought me to my knees. It felt like someone sucker punched me in the gut, it was very close. I thought it was about the coolest thing ever, should be a required part of the demo!

Ken

"So what happened with the lawn dart incident?

Jarrod"

Comment

Wasn't the prior Friday's F-16 display flown in a downpour? (I guess it gave new meaning to water injection (ingestion)......
                    Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Dwelle
                      As I recall it was the West Coast demo Viper from Hill during his routine. I was out on the line standing on the wing of a T-6 when he went by and got a little fast. He was almost abeam me when it happened and it literally brought me to my knees. It felt like someone sucker punched me in the gut, it was very close. I thought it was about the coolest thing ever, should be a required part of the demo!

Ken

"So what happened with the lawn dart incident?

Jarrod"
                      I was over by the ERA hangar when that happened. Boy did that rattle the doors! There's some dispute whether we got boomed or really heard a compressor/intake stall (Hacker thinks the latter), but it was cool nonetheless...

Comment

You have GOT to be kidding me. All of you junkies out there and NO ONE had a video camera on this?????

Slackers. And I was SO depending on you.
                        SSGFX, The Wonder Artist

9one8.net

Throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Comment

Originally posted by ssgfx
                          You have GOT to be kidding me. All of you junkies out there and NO ONE had a video camera on this?????

Slackers. And I was SO depending on you.
                          sat.I was in transit from Stead to the fence.

sun.I was sleeping in the trailer when something really loud woke me up. I stumbled out for lap 2 tho.....

Comment

Okay...there's ONE with a reasonably acceptable excuse.
                            SSGFX, The Wonder Artist

9one8.net

Throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Comment

I was there, no way was that a sonic boom, and as I'm sure Randy would tell you for a USAF pilot that literally is a court martial offense, not only would he lose his wings but would get an Article 15 which would doom what was left of his career, although he would still get an honorable discharge.

Ron Henning
                              Former USAF F-4
                              Ron Henning

Comment

Originally posted by Ron101502
                                I was there, no way was that a sonic boom
                                Well, I did hear it...and I still don't think that he was really hitting the Number right there in front of the crowd.

Wiz Dwelle is an experienced Viper/Stinkbug driver who was there, too, and his eyewitness account is on the previous page in this thread. He says it brought him to his knees, so I find it hard to directly discount his view.

I heard it while standing behind the grandstands, so it might have been attenuated significantly by the time I heard it.

Either way, you're right -- if he had done that on purpose, he'd really be in a crapload of trouble. I'm pretty sure, though, the Viper driver didn't mean to do it, and I'm sure he got a swift kick in the Jimmy from his Squadron Commander or DO when he got back to his squadron.

Comment

Working...
                                X