Sunday Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sunday Update

Was suppose to fly out tomorrow for a full week of racing. All plans for flying out have been cancelled and I'll miss this year completely.

Not happy at all....

Sitting in Indiana checking for updates as often as possible...

Keep the updates coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pictures....gotta have pictures.... How about some T-6 action....

Warren

Comment

And Richmond, VA! But I wont make it to Reno this year.

So um... yeah PIX.... please

Comment

How about qual speeds? It's a hot one today and tomorrow -- will 500 mph be broken for quals? Who will be first to throw down the gauntlet?

How about 375 for Sports, or 275 for F-1, 250 for Bipes and T-6s? Ooops, the Bipes and F-1s don't have any induction "squeeze".

From the home of the Bengals -- be there Friday night!
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

So you mean hotter actually is better for speed at Reno?
          _________
          -Matt
          Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
            So you mean hotter actually is better for speed at Reno?
            Kind of a double-edged sword on that one. Hotter air means the engine isn't as efficient, and doesn't make as much horsepower....but the density altitude on a hot day means the plane goes through the air faster.

On a cold day, the engine is much happier and puts out a bit more oomph, but the airplane has to work harder to push the air out of the way.

Comment

Yeah, ya gotta have some boost in heat/high density altitude scenarios, either a supercharger or a turbocharger. My bother made a sage comment to me once as we took off from Denver Centennial in his Aerostar, which he had at the time. He said, "You can turbocharge the engine, but you can't turbocharge the wing!" (Maybe a winglet qualifies.)
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

When you coming/going out Peas?

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                  Kind of a double-edged sword on that one. Hotter air means the engine isn't as efficient, and doesn't make as much horsepower....but the density altitude on a hot day means the plane goes through the air faster.

On a cold day, the engine is much happier and puts out a bit more oomph, but the airplane has to work harder to push the air out of the way.
                  Well, I already knew all of that, but it doesn't answer my question about which is better for speeds at Reno! If neither hot nor cold days are better for speeds at Reno, I guess a perfect, "standard day" at 5000 msl would be the best balance for speeds at Reno? Or is a slightly hotter day better because the advanced FI and cooling systems on Unlimited racers can compensate for the air density?
                  _________
                  -Matt
                  Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

I am in texas wishing I was there and already waiting for next year to get here. Spent way too much money on hobbies and I have to sit this year out. Man o man why in the hell are my priorities all screwed up?
                    A sincere thanks to Wayne and to all that post info, updates and pics of all that is going on out there. Was looking forward to hanging out at Bill's Air race addict compound in the V.O.S. The magaritas were excellent!!
                    Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                      When you coming/going out Peas?
                      Boyscout pancakes Sat. AM!
                      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

Re: Temperature

Originally posted by speeddemon

On the side of higher temps, this lowers the Mach number for a given speed, so faster RPMs are possible. Props make thrust by advance ratio and are limited by Mach (read that carefully). This can more than compensate for the loss of engine efficiency if the higher revs are within the rest of the engine's limitations (cam, valve sizing, exhaust and induction tuning, etc.)

Triple-edged sword? We need a better name for this...
                        Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

So a "fast" nose case Sea Fury would be faster since the prop reaches the transonic regime at higher tip speeds?
                          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

Working...
                          X