Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratch built + 500 mph list of contenders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch built + 500 mph list of contenders?

Call me stupid >>> too many new names of hot s**t airplnes in the world. What gives?

My List (not in any order)
    Name / Owner / specs / potential / motoer / public roll out for test?

A. Shock Wave; Owner, rabbit or turkey, motive power, date
    B. Wildfire;Owner, rabbit or turkey, motive power, date
    C. Mach Buster;Owner, rabbit or turkey, motive power, date
    D. Stradfast;Owner, rabbit or turkey, motive power, date
    C. Cornell;Owner, rabbit or turkey, motive power, date
    D. others USA
    E. others Europe

**moderator note: Please register so your posts will show without review. It's free. It's easy!**

Re: Scratch built + 500 mph list of contenders?

Its spelled STEADFAST and it is not a scratch built plane but a new reproduction of a Yak 3U. Not much hope of it ever seeing 500 unless in a terminal dive Its flying and will compete at Reno this year.

Don't have much info on the others except I've seen Jacksons racer and I would love to see what it could do when its done.

Red
    Red
    chanting...400+

Comment

wild fire has been out sinse 1979 ????? and it the wing is scratch built but compose of a T-6 fusalage that what was said when it furst came out in the 80's Shawn

Comment

Just for the record. Wildfire uses SOME structural framing from a T-6 (around the cockpit), but the fuselage is an original design.

Paul

Comment

I was told that wildfire was damage in a dust storm??? is this the orginal wild fire back in the 80's the Nag edtior sylivia sweeney did several reports on it and one of the partnerrs was Charley Beck and he commented that it should be broken up? Shawn

Comment

But please me if i wrong about this all the best Shawn

Comment

sorry for my typo please correct me if this is wrong shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro
                wild fire has been out sinse 1979 ????? and it the wing is scratch built but compose of a T-6 fusalage that what was said when it furst came out in the 80's Shawn
                Technically, it's never been "out" though it has made some test flights. It has never been raced, and in a way it still isn't completely finished.

A brief history of the aircraft is found at:

and the latest update is at:

Never heard the "dust storm" story before...

Comment

David Rose had MAch BUster, sold it about a year ago, still needed lots of work, airframe not rigid enough for powerplant, then David started renegade for the unlimited class but was too light for class minimums,
                  has another project in the works but I need his permission to elaborate further.

Comment

Ok i printed this message out and showed it to my Dad and he wroke some infor on the racers for our gust asked about he is not on the internet so he gave me this to write Shawn

To the " rabbit and turkey"guy, I can't say that I know too much about rabbits and turkeys, except that ther'ry good to eat but in reference to the "new" names of hot airplanes, most of the airplanes that you have listed , have been talked about for the past 20 or 25 years.

SHOCK WAVE is a concept of Darryl Greenamyer , powered by a P&W R-4360 SHOCK WAVE was to have the outer wing panels form a sea fury abd "tail feathers" from an F-86 and an original fuselage.

When Darryl Greenamyer lost the B-29 and went into debt, the SHOCK WAVE project went on hold.

WILDFIRE goes back to 1982, when Bill Statler and Charlie Beck teamed up to build an unlimted, using a modified T-6 fuselage and orginal wings, tail and conopy , powered by a P&W R-2800 engine, driving a modified DC-6 prop. WILDFIRE was to have been ready to compete in the 1982 Reno Air Races but later reports had said that WILDFIRE was damaged during a Mojave wind storm.

WILDFIRE vanished form the scene untill recently and it's not know if this WILDFIRE is the one and the same WILDFIRE that was reported in the June 1982 issue of the NAG RAG .

MACH BUSTER was an original design, built by Bill Montagne,who was involved in auto racing.

As Reported in the April 1987issue of professional Air Racing ,The MACH BUSTER was to have been powerd by two Buick engines producing some 2200 horsepower,driving a multi blade NASA high-tech scimiter prop.
                    The 2500 pound aircraft would have 13 fooot wing (46 square feet) similar to the wing on a F-104.

Bill Montagne had said that the MACH BUSTER was designed as a racer but it could be configured as a light fighter, with an internal mounted machine gun and underwing bomb load.

Bill MONtagne had said that data fed into NASA and Lockheed computers, indicate that the MACH BUSTER could attain a speed of 600 miles per hour at Reno and could break the sound barrier at Reno, in a 2 degree dive. The MACH BUSTER was on the ramp (minus engine ) at Reno about 1998 or 1999 and was photographed on a trailer at the 2005 Rookie School.

The CORNELL is believed to be Matt Jackson's project, which is to utilize componets form other aircraft , including the wings form a T-2 Buckeye jet trainer.
                    Not too much is know about the CORNELl race project, except that it too dates some 20 years or so.

STEADFAST is just anouther YAk modification that became popular in recent years and will probably race in the Silver or Bronze race, with the P-51A, F7f and F4F.

And then there 's FROSTBITE (MR. AUWSOLM) that Jack Frost has been working on for several years.

Charlene Aro , Director;
                    National Air - racing Group

all the best Shawn see you all in a few weeks

Comment

YAKs and 2800s and 3350s

Have always been intrigued with the basic simple, and cost effective "hot rodding" approach of installing these powerplants into a very small airframe and make money at it!

Which of the following,..... (spelling?).... Awesome, Big Red, Peristroika, and other similiar named a/c, i forgot the other names, where are they now??? ( one crashed last year?....) being re built i believe.

You would think that with sooo much power and a tiny aircraft , that you see more of them.... sort of a econo-style racer like they have in drad racing.

bm

Comment

Re: YAKs and 2800s and 3350s

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
                        Which of the following,..... (spelling?).... Awesome, Big Red, Peristroika, and other similiar named a/c, i forgot the other names, where are they now??? ( one crashed last year?....) being re built i believe.
                        bm
                        Mr. Awesome (R-3350 and T-33 tail) - Crashed during qualifying in 1989, was supposed to come back as Red Heat, and last I heard still with Jack Frost. It was supposed to come back as Frostbite.

Big Red - maybe you're thinking of Red Heat.

Perestroika (R-2800) - Bob Yancey's creation later became Czech Mate and we'll see her in a few weeks. A fine example of incremental improvement. It has really come a long way.

Night Witch - Holbrook Maslen brought the plane to Reno a couple of times, but it never raced. This crashed in Heber City last year. Beautiful airplane, but not hotrodded like Czech Mate(probably an P&W R-2000). Last I heard, under rebuild.

I believe Tom Camp's old ride Maniyak was pranged in a takeoff accident after it changed hands.

I'm not sure what became of Nezgoda's "The Ranch" after its Reno incident.

Anyone else got anything more current?

Comment

Maniyak is being rebuilt as a stocker.

Comment

Working...
                          X