Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fastest speed for a prop driven airplane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fastest speed for a prop driven airplane?

u should B

bm

Comment

(Geek mode: ON)

Don't worry about frying in the pretty red sunlight. Astronomers now say that our own Milky Way will be colliding with Andromeda 3 billion years before the sun goes ka-pooey, an we could be looking forward to the ultimate roller-coaster ride from hell. Remember to keep your arms and legs inside at all times!

(Geek mode: OFF)

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
        Astronomers now say that our own Milky Way will be colliding with Andromeda 3 billion years before the sun goes ka-pooey, an we could be looking forward to the ultimate roller-coaster ride from hell.
        I wonder how man has evolved in 4 million years..that is a long time since the first pharaos ruled some 5 000 year ago..and my ancestors seemed to have lived very cosy lives in heated wooden houses before that...wearing leather skin jackets buttoned with amber buttons.

The teletransportation ( Beam me up Scotty etc. ) seems very attractive and trip to Mars also a lot more practical in the long term. Base camp there and and another hop to the next planet..or milky way with suitable conditions.

Knowing the amount of energy that would require to get everybody safe before sun blows up to another star system I get a feeling tickets and seats are not available for everyone ?
        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
          Knowing the amount of energy that would require to get everybody safe before sun blows up to another star system I get a feeling tickets and seats are not available for everyone ?
          "Don't you remember the earth was going to explode and all the really stupid people weren't told because they.........Oh, this is that show......." Steve Martin
          John Slack

Comment

"I shift back to the Bear at an unofficial 575 mph."

If we're talking unofficial here, wouldn't that make Dago's 600 mph faster than Bear's 575 mph?

Comment

XF-84 went 670 mph....and was supersonic in a dive.

XF-84 flight at Edwards Air Force Base from 1956. F-105 Republic Thunderchief in Flight and gear up landing. From the archives of the San Diego Air and Spac...

Comment

My next question is....would a speed of 574 mph speed plausible in Reno for a souped up V-8 racer ?

Enclosed estimated speeds with different set ups.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by First time Juke; 05-21-2014, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon View Post
                  The 15 km record does not have any altitude restrictions (which is why when Dago has played with it both times, they have been at altitude for better speed). The 3 km course is specifically a 'low altitude' record, and has exact requirements as to AGL restrictions during the run.
                  The 3km course was created for a specific plane...the Bearcat...just like the time-to-climb parameters were set up to favor the Bearcat as well...no plane is gonna outclimb a Bearcat from a dead stop to 10K feet, but make the race to 20K or 30K feet and there are a couple models of Spitfires that would take it...and we all know Dago and Strega were faster...
                  Last edited by grampi; 05-23-2014, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                    The 3km course was created for a specific plane...the Bearcat...just like the time-to-climb parameters were set up to favor the Bearcat as well...no plane is gonna outclimb a Bearcat from a dead stop to 10K feet, but make the race to 20K or 30K feet and there are a couple models of Spitfires that would take it...and we all know Dago and Strega were faster...
                    Not sure why you say the 3km course was created for a specific plane....the Bearcat, the FAI 3km course is setup for low level speed record attempts 250ft above the ground, and does favor planes with high thrust to drag ratio [remember the Red Baron], which is not ideal for the Bearcat, but Rear Bear did hold the record (which is still recognized by most aviation enthusiasts even though not a recognized FAI record anymore).

Yes, I do agree that the time to climb does favor planes like the Bearcat which have radial engines because of the cooling capacity at full power climb speed of 125 to 165mph (depending on the plane). However, there are other combinations of plane, plane weight, and powerplant that could set records.
                    Last edited by Donald McMullin; 05-23-2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                      Boy, I bet Fritz Wendel, Hans Dieterle, and Steve Hinton are were upset. Especially Fritz and Hans...because they set the 3 km before the Bearcat was even on the mind of the Grumman designers in 1939.

Why is it, Grampi, that if the truth doesn't fit the parameters of how you think it should be, then it doesn't count?

Comment

I found a Stanford edu paper claiming 550 + speeds are to be expected...also a notion that a car engine ( V-8 ? ) needs to produce around 1000 hp to be competetive ( in Pond Racer for instance ).

Here; http://aero-comlab.stanford.edu/Pape...0-4341-839.pdf

This applies to a piston engined Reno racer.
                        Last edited by First time Juke; 05-24-2014, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
                          Not sure why you say the 3km course was created for a specific plane....the Bearcat, the FAI 3km course is setup for low level speed record attempts 250ft above the ground, and does favor planes with high thrust to drag ratio [remember the Red Baron], which is not ideal for the Bearcat, but Rear Bear did hold the record (which is still recognized by most aviation enthusiasts even though not a recognized FAI record anymore).

Yes, I do agree that the time to climb does favor planes like the Bearcat which have radial engines because of the cooling capacity at full power climb speed of 125 to 165mph (depending on the plane). However, there are other combinations of plane, plane weight, and powerplant that could set records.
                          Lyle's Record was "retired" not broken, for some unknown reason the FAI decided to "retire" Lyle's record. The FAI claim it was due to a change in the sporting code. The explanation was that the record was considered too risky to life and limb to not change the parameters under which Lyle's record was set. So by retiring his record the FAI "said" Lyle would indeed hold that record forever.

Personally I don't think anyone but a meely mouthed chicken crap coward would set a new 3 KM record at a speed slower than what would have exceeded my Dad's record and not expect to be made fun of. However if that would occur I firmly believe that person would fully understand the concept of being haunted by their actions.

Just my opinion.
                          Last edited by AAFO_WSagar; 06-01-2014, 11:46 PM.
                          John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                            Lyle's Record was "retired" not broken, for some unknown reason the FAI decided to "retire" Lyle's record. The FAI claim it was due to a change in the sporting code. The explanation was that the record was considered too risky to life and limb to not change the parameters under which Lyle's record was set. So by retiring his record the FAI "said" Lyle would indeed hold that record forever.

Personally I don't think anyone but a meely mouthed chicken crap coward would set a new 3 KM record at a speed slower than what would have exceeded my Dad's record and not expect to be made fun of. However if that would occur I firmly believe that person would fully understand the concept of being haunted by their actions.

Just my opinion.
                            I've lost faith in the Bearcat recently. Regardless a mustang can't carry the fluids required for a 3K that would top Lyles record.

Comment

No matter what the FAI decided or decides in the future, Lyle's a legend and nothing will change that.

Just my opinion.
                              +1

Comment

+2
                                A real legend, and so glad I got to watch him race, and finally meet him.

Comment

Working...
                                X