Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fastest speed for a prop driven airplane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fastest speed for a prop driven airplane?

I worked with some brits on expat contracts.... some wewr wingnuts like me... these all were connected with "the warton works"... dads , uncles and so on

one guy said that his favorite "tale" was about a pilot who expoused about his sea fury or typhoon with the flat 24 motor (?) and cranking out 490 ias at a whim.

was this brit pulling this yanks (my) leg.

I know the skys were flooded with new stuff in the 1944 or 45 era.... MB 5's et all over in the uk.

BMarsh

Comment

I have a book called "US Fighters" by Lloyd S. Jones that states that the lightweight P47J,with picture, reached 504MPH in level flight. They went from 8 guns to 6 and had a P&W R2800-57 which was closely cowled & forced-cooled by a fan & had a larger supercharger. I'll bring the book to Reno & be by the "WARLOCK" pit. They also had a XP47H with the Chrysler 16 cylinder engine which reached 490MPH.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
        I worked with some brits on expat contracts.... some wewr wingnuts like me... these all were connected with "the warton works"... dads , uncles and so on

one guy said that his favorite "tale" was about a pilot who expoused about his sea fury or typhoon with the flat 24 motor (?) and cranking out 490 ias at a whim.

was this brit pulling this yanks (my) leg.

I know the skys were flooded with new stuff in the 1944 or 45 era.... MB 5's et all over in the uk.

BMarsh

Typhoon no but Sea Fury yes. The one off Sabre powered Sea Fury, actually it was not a Sea Fury but a Fury (not navalized), supposedly clocked 485 or so.
        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gollwitzer
          I have a book called "US Fighters" by Lloyd S. Jones that states that the lightweight P47J,with picture, reached 504MPH in level flight. They went from 8 guns to 6 and had a P&W R2800-57 which was closely cowled & forced-cooled by a fan & had a larger supercharger. I'll bring the book to Reno & be by the "WARLOCK" pit. They also had a XP47H with the Chrysler 16 cylinder engine which reached 490MPH.
          Neat book. He also did Navy Fighters and another one of Bombers. All are good. The Chrysler XIV-2220 was the very first... Hemi. But it was looooong. When you look at the life of the R-2800 I think one comes away nothing but impressed. 49% of the 802,161 US WWII aircraft engines were P&Ws.
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Thanks for the replies, y'all.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by retroaviation
              Thanks for the replies, y'all.

Gary
              Gary,
              It is important to note the requirements of a record compared to stating or documenting a particular speed.
              The most stringent of these, the 3KM record requires 6 consecutive passes to be made over a measured course with a very strict altitude variance rule. Altitude recording graphs are carried in the plane during the record to verify that the rules are followed. In addition timing cameras that are linked with each other that show a running time are placed so that they shoot into a frame that shows the entry and exit from the course.

The altitude restriction for the 3KM course starts 1Km outside of the gate, at which point you are not allowed to vary your altitude more than 300 feet. Going outbound on the course you have to decelerate, turn around line back up on the course, stabilize your altitude within the limits, and accelerate back up to speed.

The fastest four consecutive passes, two in each direction are then averaged to get the speed for the record. Lyle Shelton's and the Rare Bear's record was slower Than could have been achieved because the last pass was made after the Nitrous Oxide ran out. Had the Nitrous Oxide not run out the record would be in the mid 530's, but that is life.

A side note my dad has said that was the most demanding flying he has ever done, threading a needle with an 8600 pound airplane running at it's mechanical and aerodynamic maximium, keeping scan on the gauges, 500 feet off the ground.

When we set the record representatives of the tribe that owned the land we were flying over, (we had to get their permission.) came to visit. The Medicine Man of the tribe said as he watched "you guys must be going 530 miles an hour", and then he replied "nobody will ever break that, huh?" Over all the ensuing years at Reno that Rare Bear has raced it has never used as much power as she did that day. So how fast would she go on clean course, with a good stick?
              John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV
                Over all the ensuing years at Reno that Rare Bear has raced it has never used as much power as she did that day. So how fast would she go on clean course, with a good stick?
                I sincerely hope we get to find out, preferably during my lifetime.
                _________
                -Matt
                Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub
                  Just curious what the fastest speed ever recorded for a prop driven airplane is? Piston and Turbine?
                  I think Pogo was also genuiely fast turbine plane. ( 610 mph )

Piston plane Dardo from Italy did some amazing speeds already at war time ...Mach .86 was it ? ( 596 mph in a dive )

http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                    That spoken line always makes me wince every time I watch the flick. A parsec is a measurement of distance, not of time. One of many flubs in that movie.

It's just like saying:

"I just set a record lap time at Reno"

"what was your time?"

"3 miles"

"What?"

Maybe the Kessel run was a timed run and that's how far the Falcon ran in that time. I don't think Han would make a mistake like that.....

Comment

Originally posted by wyhdah
                      Maybe the Kessel run was a timed run and that's how far the Falcon ran in that time. I don't think Han would make a mistake like that.....
                      A true Star Wars geek would tell you that part of the object of the Kessel Run was to use hyperspace -- eg, physically warping space/time -- to make the run in the fewest segments possible...ergo, the shortest distance, not the shortest time.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                        A true Star Wars geek would tell you that part of the object of the Kessel Run was to use hyperspace -- eg, physically warping space/time -- to make the run in the fewest segments possible...ergo, the shortest distance, not the shortest time.
                        That's right!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin

This is really vital information since the sun ( the yellow shiny object in the sky ) is going to blow in 5 million years and turn thereafter into little red dwarf. Before that we need a mean of transportation to get outa this planet ( and find a new place to dwell ). I read the temperature on earth will be around 5 000 C before the sun turns into the red dwarf and after that will be a lot cooler..like -250 C.
                          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Geez.... did you say "in 5 million years" or "in5 billion years" ????

my kid has "issues" with when the sun is going to pop (he is only seven)

hes packing his bags right now.... HA!

bm

Comment

I don't think any human will have to worry about that. We will have eradicated ourselves long before the end of our Sun. And it won't be from global warming.

Back to fast planes....
                              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
                                red dwarf
                                Speaking of Red Dwarf...

Sorry...
                                Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                                My Photos
                                My Ride

Comment

Working...
                                X