Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fastest speed for a prop driven airplane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fastest speed for a prop driven airplane?

I mean the 15 km record.
    The overall prop driven speed record.
    Beat the current record holder.
    Is this 15 km speed record set on a 15 km long course or 15 km high in the sky??
    Last edited by MerlinV12; 08-14-2006, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MerlinV12
      I mean the 15 km record.
      The overall prop driven speed record.
      Beat the current record holder.
      Is this 15 km speed record set on a 15 km long course or 15 km high in the sky??
      The 15 km record does not have any altitude restrictions (which is why when Dago has played with it both times, they have been at altitude for better speed). The 3 km course is specifically a 'low altitude' record, and has exact requirements as to AGL restrictions during the run.

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
        The third and also the first with the M-12 in level flight, the D-21 slammed back down on the M-12. (Have you seen the video?)
        There's video!?!??!?
        _________
        -Matt
        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
          There's video!?!??!?
          Yes, they had a camera on the M-12 looking back at the D-21. They also had another A(or M)-12 in chase, filming. There is poor quality video on the web but it gets the point across. Remember they are going around Mach 3. I'll see if I can find it.
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Omg (scouring the web now, prolly gonna get fired) I had no idea video of it was ever released!
            Sorry for the thread hijack!
            _________
            -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
              Found it .....
              Thanks for the link!
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Originally posted by Missileer
                Found it .....
                You're the greatest! Thanks.
                _________
                -Matt

Comment

Who says 600 for a P51!!!!!

Some one on this board said that one of the mustangs went 600?

Please some one set the record(s) straight with the unlimited class rules.

>> 3 km , 5km or whatever, who owns what, in speed
                  >> time to altitude, who owns what, in time

Maybe a summation from european pre-war too.

Thank you guys and ladies.

**moderator note: Please register so your posts will show without review. It's free. It's easy!**

Comment

3km is owned by rare bear at 528.329 mph

15km record is held by dago red at 517

time to climb is held by rare bear at 91.9 seconds (from releasing the brakes to 3000 meters)

the 600 mph that was talked about is strictly unofficial, but with luck may actually happen someday, there's no reason why it shouldn't.
                    heh heh alriiiight

Comment

At 61.... i am chuckeling (sp?) at all the "remember when" comments about ..."back in the day ... duh...or my dad told me"

i love it , because my recall is so @#*X ing bad.

thanks for the memories guys and chicks..... or the ones i forgot.

BMarsh

Comment

Since we saw a bunch of other interesting facts on this thread, I was just curious about if anyone has documentation regarding the Hawker Sea Fury and some of it's speed records. Wasn't it the fastest production, single engine, piston airplane? I've always heard that it held the speed record, while the production Bearcat held the time to climb records for the same category (production, single engine, piston aircraft).

Any truth to this? Sorry if this has already been specifically discussed. I read all of the previous posts, but didn't see this mentioned.

Thanks,
                        Gary

Comment

Originally posted by retroaviation
                          Since we saw a bunch of other interesting facts on this thread, I was just curious about if anyone has documentation regarding the Hawker Sea Fury and some of it's speed records. Wasn't it the fastest production, single engine, piston airplane? I've always heard that it held the speed record, while the production Bearcat held the time to climb records for the same category (production, single engine, piston aircraft).

Any truth to this? Sorry if this has already been specifically discussed. I read all of the previous posts, but didn't see this mentioned.

Thanks,
                          Gary
                          I'm fairly sure that it was Mike Carroll's Sea Fury that used to be in the almanac as the fastest! This was many years ago!!!

Anthony
                          "dont believe ANYTHING you hear and about HALF of what you see"...................J. Mott 1994

Comment

Originally posted by retroaviation

Thanks,
                            Gary
                            I think (too lazy to get a book) your standard production Sea Fury would be listed @ 460 mph. But your P-51H would come in at 487 mph. I believe that would be the fastest production single engine piston powered aircraft, 555 were built.

The P-47M was around 473 mph and F4U-5 around 470 mph. Also the very limited run Spiteful was generally around 480mph with a one off powered by a 3 stage Griffon 101 coming in at 494 mph. Also the one off Sabre powered sea fury was 490 mph. But never forget the one off XP-47J @ 505 mph.

So through the ramblings, I say the fastest production single engine piston powered aircraft was the P-51H @ 487 mph.
                            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Sometimes I wonder who to believe. The following site claims the XP-47J broke the 500 mph mark in level flight in 1944, and goes on to list a whole group of info sources.

It can drive you batty!

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                                Sometimes I wonder who to believe. The following site claims the XP-47J broke the 500 mph mark in level flight in 1944, and goes on to list a whole group of info sources.

It can drive you batty!
                                Of course I do not have the original documents but everything I have read seems to indicate that the XP-47J went 504 while on a test with Republic. Top speed was listed as 507 by Republic. This aircraft was then turned over to the USAAC and they were able to archive 493 (I think). They never got above 500. It should be noted that this AC was in military trim with 6 .50 cal guns and armor. If the 500 plus speed was wrong it is felt that it was due to imperfectly calibrated equipment used during the Republic run and not intentional optimism by Republic. I have 5 of the 7 sources listed and others. It's one of those things we will never know.
                                Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Working...
                                X