bad news for the T-6 ranks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad news for the T-6 ranks

I just received word from Mike Houghton, that long time raffle ride pilot, John Collver, will no longer be the pilot for these rides. Considering the fact that John does more than just the rides (he's also quite qualified as a second safety pilot), I think this is a poor choice on RARAs part. My understanding (not from Houghton, but from other sources) is that the new pilot is less expensive than John as he doesn't expect an appearance fee. Unfortunately, he also doesn't have any experience flying in Reno, nor is he qualified to be a safety pilot, and his only reason for wanting to fly at Reno is to say he was part of the races. I think this is the wrong attitude to have when participating in the races. With this person's lack of experience and reasons for wanting to do the raffle ride, I question whether he's the right choice for someone to be flying in the airspace over our T-6 racers. I encourage everyone to voice their opinions about this decision - especially the T-6ers! I don't know about the rest of you, but personally, I'd like to see John continue in that role.

I am not sure that the plans have been completely finalized, but I know the new pilot very well. I won't post his name just now, due to the fact that I haven't cleared it with him. I will try and get permission to do that as soon as I can.(I am in Australia right now and don't have his number with me). I'll give you every assurance that he is a very professional pilot and more than qualified for this duty. On top of being one of the best pilots I know, he is just a really nice guy. What's wrong with him just "wanting to say he was part of the races"?

Brad Pilgrim

Comment

Mark,

I apoligize for the confusion. I guess I should have made it more clear. I am in the USAF. I'm a C-17 loadmaster at McChord. I am a member of the Cascad Warbirds, and also one of the crew chiefs at the Olympic Flight Museum in Olympia, WA. I just happen to be down here in Australia right now. Hawaii tommorrow, then back to Washington. I don't know anybody from here, except the girl I met in a bar in Sydney.

I've had the pleasure of meeting John, but I don't really know him. I don't know the reasons for the change in pilots, but I am sure it is purely money. I understand John having a fan base, but I promise folks will like the new guy very well. I will be at the races with the Cascade group. That is if war developments don't result in my leave being cancled again.

Brad Pilgrim
      mexicanbob@hotmail.com

Comment

Mark,

The C-17 is a pretty good ol' girl. It's alot tougher plane than I ever thought it would be, but I will be suprised if it lasts 30 years like the other transports have. I still prefer my old C-130, but this big thing is growing on me. It is definately more comfortable than the Mighty Herk was. From a loadmasters perspective, it is great just to have a bunk and latrine!

Brad

Comment

Working...
        X