Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Racer updates

Default Racer updates

I have not seen much recent news on the following aircraft and what we might expect at Reno 2002:

Furias #15--One would think this crew would have been at work in the off-season possibly preparing some new modifications for the racer, so as to keep in form against the likes of Critical Mass and September Fury. I hoped to see her at Arlington but did not. Are there any rumors floating around???

Miss Merced #87--What is up here?

Brent Hisey's Yak-3 #111--With all of the special grooming to get Miss America in her fastest form ever, is this new Bronze racer also being readied for its debut?

Not an expected entry, but I heard the #57 F2G may have blown an engine (but landed safely) leaving Oshkosh.

SPORT CLASS:

Will the Nemesis NXT be ready for first flight soon? Even if the 40 hours are flown off and it is ready in September will the company have sold and delivered the required number of complete kits in time to qualify under the class rules? (Personally having seen first hand how extremely hard it is to get the first early kits even 50% delivered in the first year of production of the Thunder Mustang in 1997, I would certainly doubt it!)

Can someone post a photo of the new Dave Morss ride?

Anything new expected among the Ventures or Lancair IV types?

FORMULA ONE:

At least two very hot new designs are said to be ready. Any scoops on this class?

Miss Merced reprtedly had engine trouble...the specifics, I don't know. That is the reason why they did not make it to Oshkosh, but I think they will be ready for Reno.

Dave Morss' ride...Depending on where he keeps it, I will go to my local airport and see if I can't find him. He flies out of San Carlos...15 min. away from me. I will for sure have pics of all his stuff later on, probably in about exactly a month, when ouyr airport does a "Reno Festival: Air Racing" every year before the races. Jeff Lo and Dave Morss are usually there along with some others. I'll keep you updated.

Furias was seen in San Diego, but apparently little or no changes were made..
    here's a photo...
    http://www.airliners.net/open.file?i...%3D&static=yes

F/1, the AR-6 should definitely be there, and should be hot !!
    what's the second hot beast ??

the Miller Pushy Cat should also come back to the pylons..

Miss Merced has a new owner. The A/C suffered an engine internal destruction/metal problem, was rebuilt and then fell off the truck that was transporting it back to the aircraft. Oops... back to square one. I've been told that the second rebuild is almost complete.
    Mystical Power

When was Miss Merced sold? Last I saw it was still up for sale (www.bobhannah.com).

See ya at Reno!

fred, i think that any mods made to furryass would be internal...

RichH Guest

That picture is from Seattle, not San Diego... I was there. Bill said they did replace the old smoker with a new engine, however.

Originally posted by RichH
    That picture is from Seattle, not San Diego...
    oooppss should stop smokin' before postin'..

was pushy cat also there ??

Originally posted by Race#21
    Miss Merced has a new owner. The A/C suffered an engine internal destruction/metal problem, was rebuilt and then fell off the truck that was transporting it back to the aircraft. Oops... back to square one. I've been told that completion of the second rebuild is almost complete.
    Ouch! I heard that also at Oshkosh! Did not hear that the airplane sold.. Unless my memory cells (the one's that are left after growing up in the 60's) are telling me that Jim bought out full ownership of the airplane??

Didn't someone else have an engine drop test after a rebuild a few years ago? Those damaged cells are telling me a story here but I'll be damned if I can remember it totally..

See ya in September...right!!!??

Wayne

Default ENTRY LIST QUESTIONS

I have some questions about the Formula One and Sport Class entry lists if anyone has inside information.

SPORT CLASS:

Nemesis NXT is entered. Has it flown yet? How recent has anyone last seen the progress? Will the Sport Class rules for number of kits shipped be waived if it does show up?

Kevin Eldredge is listed with a Stewart S-51D (N551X, serial 076). What engine/horespower is this new airplane using??

FORMULA ONE CLASS:

Ed Bowes has entered a "Cassutt" N102MB
    Is this finally the Snoshoo prototype we saw partially completed at the Phoenix races in 1994 or 1995?

Ray Debs has a #82 "Plane Mantis" entry. What is it?
    (Is this N81XS of Raymond Debs, Campbell, CA?)

Where is the David Hoover (N616DH) Arnold AR-6 entry? How long has it been flying?

Whatever became of the Reno 2000 entry "Varuna" of Chuck Coleman? The photo of N141CB looked interesting in the 2000 program.

Thank you for any insights.