New to this sport/board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this sport/board

Just want to say hello to all of the current members out there. Like the thread title says, I am new to this sport and the board and was woundering if any of you "vets" had some interesting links or info that I can check out to pick up on what happens with this sport. Thanks for the help and can't wait to learn and then discuss.
    I have the need for speed. Unfotunately I am grounded to the rent-mobiles (aka slow, econo-box cars).

for aviation history - www.planesoffame.org
    for air racing, nothing beats Team Strega at www.strega.com

sorry about the shameless self promotion, but you did ask

Comment

So new guy, you gunna be at Reno in Sept? That is all the education you will need, and the experience will get you completely hooked.

Bill Pearce
      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

I agree with hawkeye...

I agree with Mr. Pierce...

There is nothing like it in the world, and there never will be. It is something you have to take in with all of your senses; The smells of the exhaust and fuels, the sounds of the aircraft, the sights of 500 MPH laps, the feel of waxed metal, and the taste of desert sands.

Nothing beats the smooth roar of the round motors, the throaty whine of the hot water 12's, the smell of avgas mixed with nitrous oxide and nitromethane. The yell of the crewchief for the AD truck, the call of the crowd for one more burst of speed.

I remember the early mornings on the ramp before the sun comes up with the dew sprinkled lightly on the lowered canopy of a clipped wing mustang, the shimmer of "bear" metal against the sunrise, the reflection of the mountain tops in the bent wing of a highly polished Corsair.

Memories of chromed T-6's sitting in a row, the gaggle of brightly colored formula 1's in the hanger and the bustle of wrenches and screwdrivers as each team gets ready for the next event. The timers perched atop their crew trucks, the painted murals of racers on the motor homes, and the scurry of golfcarts along the ramp to keep it all in check.

I'll never forget the old pilots with their hands in formation telling stories of the one they got, or the one that got them. The teams of people who spend every year working their butts off to make it happen with little more than a pat on the back for their trouble. The cheering fans milling about in the pits with their wristbands a-glow.

If you did not understand any of what I have just wrote, then you have to go there and see it for yourself. It is truly amazing and something that, once seen, will be with you always.

Glenn

Comment

So whos sending him to Reno

Check out Renos sight
          The Reno Air Racing Association has been organizing the National Championship Air Races for over 60 years, promoting its storied traditions and pageantry.
          ECVSteve
          E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
          Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
            So new guy, you gunna be at Reno in Sept? That is all the education you will need, and the experience will get you completely hooked.

Bill Pearce
            Unfortunately on a college budget and with college classes, I doubt it.
            I have the need for speed. Unfotunately I am grounded to the rent-mobiles (aka slow, econo-box cars).

Comment

Re: I agree with hawkeye...

Originally posted by gsbloom
              I agree with Mr. Pierce...

There is nothing like it in the world, and there never will be. It is something you have to take in with all of your senses; The smells of the exhaust and fuels, the sounds of the aircraft, the sights of 500 MPH laps, the feel of waxed metal, and the taste of desert sands.

Nothing beats the smooth roar of the round motors, the throaty whine of the hot water 12's, the smell of avgas mixed with nitrous oxide and nitromethane. The yell of the crewchief for the AD truck, the call of the crowd for one more burst of speed.

I remember the early mornings on the ramp before the sun comes up with the dew sprinkled lightly on the lowered canopy of a clipped wing mustang, the shimmer of "bear" metal against the sunrise, the reflection of the mountain tops in the bent wing of a highly polished Corsair.

Memories of chromed T-6's sitting in a row, the gaggle of brightly colored formula 1's in the hanger and the bustle of wrenches and screwdrivers as each team gets ready for the next event. The timers perched atop their crew trucks, the painted murals of racers on the motor homes, and the scurry of golfcarts along the ramp to keep it all in check.

I'll never forget the old pilots with their hands in formation telling stories of the one they got, or the one that got them. The teams of people who spend every year working their butts off to make it happen with little more than a pat on the back for their trouble. The cheering fans milling about in the pits with their wristbands a-glow.

If you did not understand any of what I have just wrote, then you have to go there and see it for yourself. It is truly amazing and something that, once seen, will be with you always.

Glenn
              www.helicopterpage.com
              I totaly understand this as I got to experience my first in person NASCAR WC race in June. This in person was an awsome experience to get to feel the rumble of HP, smell the 104 Octane gas, watch the acceleration that you don't get a sensation of on TV. Air Racing has been unknown to me, until I started reading about it here online. I make regular trips to the local drag strip as well but there is something about the 491.xx MPH average lap speed that a WC car can't touch or the 500+ MPH straightaway speed that a top fuel dragster dosen't even come close to. So, they mix nitrometh in with the Aviation Octane and burn N2O huh?? That's awsome. To bad, college starts right around the same time Reno occurs and that I am on the east coast. Anyway, thanks people, hope to keep talking with you over the next few months or longer.

Comment

Some Advice

Hi New Guy:

My advice is to (as someone once said) not let your schooling get in the way of your education.

Bum a ride out and back with someone on this board. Go Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday when things are (for the most part) free. Sleep in a tent in the parking lot. Eat beans. But don't miss it.

The sights, sounds, and smells so magnificently described by Glenn stay with you a lifetime. I forgot everything I learned in calculus three weeks after getting the pigskin.

Stubby

Comment

Also, the test flights at oh-dark-thirty in the morning............

The 500++ mph passes down the runway at zero angels..............

The whine of a massive 4 bladed prop sucking the cool morning air, and accelating it backwards at a terrific rate......

The distinctive music of a high strung engine unloading during the dive preceding said pass.......

The roar/whine/growl of a dozen, or a dozen-and-a-half cylinders in close formation ejecting spent, but high energy exhaust into the slipstream as the unlimitied streaks past.....

You have to be there (early) to experience the multi sensory onslaught that leaves an unexplainable grin on everyones face...
                  the other Wayne................

Comment

Boy, I'll tell ya what.. If anyone ever asks ya why we go to Reno every year.. just point them to this thread!

You guys are writing about this better than I ever could!

Keep up the good work, you're getting me pumped up!!

Wayne
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Fortunately here at home, we have dish TV and I can get Discovery Wings. Now, this didn't start this kick on Air Racing, but it go the fires burning a little bit more, since I watched an hour long Histor of Air Racing. I think it covered the 2000 Reno Air Nats?? Anyway, is there any air racing on the east coast or televised anywhere (maybe like speed channel)?? Anyway, gotta get up for work tomorrow so its time to log off for the night. Thanks again for all your help, you people are making me wish I had the means and opportunity to make it out to Reno in sept.

Comment

Best Damn Sport in the World

When I was in college (not too long ago), it would start on the Monday following Reno. I would drive the 500 miles after Reno arriving home about 2am and be in my first class at 8am. Of course your school is a bit further than 500 miles, and add a few times zones to that.

The posts on this thread are why I love Air Racing. Of course they left out the smell of the "Port O' Let", and the annoyment of those stupid drunk guys infront of a hangar sitin' in recliners with loud music blarin' (which would be me and my friends).

Watch THIS board, and we will keep you in the loop. Just promise us one thing - one year you will make it to Reno.

Bill Pearce
                        (note the spelling, only cool people spell it that way!)
                        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

I forgot one thing... it is worth it just for the sound!

If I were blind I would still go for the sole purpose of hearing an unlimited push, or surpass 500 mph down the Valley of Speed towards the front line. Whoa damn... it gives me chills!

BP
                          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
                            I forgot one thing... it is worth it just for the sound!

If I were blind I would still go for the sole purpose of hearing an unlimited push, or surpass 500 mph down the Valley of Speed towards the front line. Whoa damn... it gives me chills!

BP

After going to air races for a number of years. I finally decided I needed to go out to the Valley Of Speed. Being out there truly awakens your scenes. The sound out there does not do justice to the sounds you hear from stands or the pits.
                            Now from another viewpoint, I go out to the pylons (press credentils) From that pont, you can't help but stand there in awe. first you hear the low roar of the unlimited coming off Peavine Mtn. That roar continully get louder and louder and louder, to the point the ground under your feet starts shaking. Then you see how close to the ground they are as they get closer to the pylons. At one very brief moment in time you can actually see their faces and their helmets, these huge warbirds are coming directly right at you. My first time out there, my boss Mark Daniels told me to just stand there and absorb. No photos, just absorb.
                            I can never express to you whatt I thought as I watched them coming towards me, knowing they are almost 500 mph.
                            No, there is absolutely NO other sport that can compare to the air races. Truly magnificent. That's just reason I'm so proud to be a small part of it I hope for a long, long. time to come. MG
                            MG

Comment

Re: Re: I agree with hawkeye...

Originally posted by FightinBluHen51

.... So, they mix nitrometh in with the Aviation Octane and burn N2O huh?? That's awsome....
                              Speaking as someone who has heard it from a crew chief of one of the faster birds..."Yes". Some have been known to actually do that...all three. Although most do Avgas and Nitrous OR Avgas and Nitromethane OR plain Avgas. Only the very few do all of it together...so I hear. Either way, you'd better be good on your mixtures...or else.

Then there is ADI (Anti Detonation Injection)...(Which I confess I know little to nothing about...except the hot water 12's seem to like it a lot...)

Comment

Working...
                              X