Amazing Model Link!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing Model Link!

This is a link just sent me by Larry Rengstorf (Furias and many other warbird/racers) Simply an amazing model!

Thanks Larry!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Amazing Model Link!

That thing was awsome!
    Tony

Comment

I think thats the one that crashed, there is a video online of it crashing

Comment

Built 2 crashed 2! First was very much pilot error, not sure on the second. Not a cheap adventure!

Red
        Red
        chanting...400+

Comment

Pilot error??? Who on earth would let a pilot that wasn't top notch fly a bird like that? If the video was the first one then it couldn't have been much of a pilot at the controls.

Michele

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl
            Pilot error??? Who on earth would let a pilot that wasn't top notch fly a bird like that? If the video was the first one then it couldn't have been much of a pilot at the controls.

Michele
            You've seen the same thing happen with full size warbirds/homebuilts. Just because he has the dollars to buy it and/or the skills to build it does not mean he has the talent to fly it. Nothing to stop him from trying though!

Comment

Michele
              Whew... at least you didn't blame Rutan <ducks>
              _________
              -Matt
              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacegrrrl

I have read comments from the pilot who says one wing stalled because the plane didn't have enough airspeed to compensate for a strong tailwind gust. If you watch the crash video you can see how windy and turbulent it was that day. He never should have flown it in that kind of weather (I've lost a few models myself for the same reason).

This site has some videos of successful flights along witht the crash video:

Comment

Originally posted by Red
                  Built 2 crashed 2! First was very much pilot error, not sure on the second. Not a cheap adventure!

Red
                  I believe the the two videos are the same plane. If you go to the original link, there are two, the flight and the crash. They are the same as the second link.

What a heart break. That much time and money. I hope that this wasn't the first flight.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
                    Whew... at least you didn't blame Rutan <ducks>
                    :P

Michele

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                      I have read comments from the pilot who says one wing stalled because the plane didn't have enough airspeed to compensate for a strong tailwind gust. If you watch the crash video you can see how windy and turbulent it was that day. He never should have flown it in that kind of weather (I've lost a few models myself for the same reason).

This site has some videos of successful flights along witht the crash video:

Oh no!!! The downwind turn controvery!!!! Run away!!! Save yourself!!!

I have an opinion about that as a cause but knowing that this is one of those discussions that can never be resolved I think noting that this is controversial is an adequate response. :-)

I do agree that this was not the sort of day you should fly a model like that but mostly because it does present serious risk trying to land the model.

Michele

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Veich
                        You've seen the same thing happen with full size warbirds/homebuilts. Just because he has the dollars to buy it and/or the skills to build it does not mean he has the talent to fly it. Nothing to stop him from trying though!
                        I wish I had a nickle for every time I saw a full size pilot show up with an R/C ship and refuse any asssistance because he surely can fly a model with all of his real aircraft piloting experience then proceed to crater his bird within moments of takeoff. It also is not unusual at all to find that scale builders are not the best flyers. Time in the shop does not translate to time behind the stick. That is also certainly true in the homebuilt world.

Michele

Comment

originally quoted by Spacegrrrl
                          I have an opinion about that as a cause but knowing that this is one of those discussions that can never be resolved I think noting that this is controversial is an adequate response.
                          I've lost count of the number of possible causes of this crash suggested in forums (radio interference, servo failure, structural flaw, lousy pilot skills, etc...). I only mentioned that one because it was the only reason given by the pilot himself.

Whether it is true or just a cover-up for bad piloting is, as you said, debatable and most likely unprovable.

originally quoted by Spacegrrrl
                          I wish I had a nickle for every time I saw a full size pilot show up with an R/C ship and refuse any asssistance because he surely can fly a model with all of his real aircraft piloting experience then proceed to crater his bird within moments of takeoff.
                          I've experienced something similar myself by letting a real G.A. pilot fly one of my planes. Fortunately we were using 2 radios and a trainer cord, so I was able to take control before he made balsa firewood out of it. And this on a clear, calm sunny day.

His problem surfaced when the aircraft was flying toward us. When he saw the wingtip drop on the right side of the aircraft he instinctly tried to roll to the left. Since the plane was coming towards us, the wingtip dropping on his right was the LEFT wing, so the roll increased until the plane went into a spin. Fortunately he had enough altitude for me to recover.
                          Last edited by AirDOGGe; 02-13-2006, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I believe the pilot finally admitted that he rolled the wrong way. He thought it was rolling right and he corrected left or visa versa. Anyway he rolled into the bank and the rest is history. The light was very flat and not much contrast between the top and the bottom.

I do know that another was built and possibly crashed as well. A lot of muttering about unhappy sponsors and wasted money. It takes nothing away from the monumental project in my opinion though......Just a few poor choices and it all vanishes.

red
                            Red
                            chanting...400+

Comment

I wish I had a nickle for every time I saw a full size pilot show up with an R/C ship and refuse any asssistance because he surely can fly a model with all of his real aircraft piloting experience then proceed to crater his bird within moments of takeoff.
                              Michele
                              Yep! I'm near Luke AFB and we had an F-16 jockey show up at the field with a Byron F-16 as his "trainer". We tried to warn him but, well, you know the rest of the story.

Comment

Working...
                              X